Chub Catching Methods

Another Dave

Reaction score
Worm on a size 10 to 4 depending on the size of the bait, 5lb hooklength (or straight through) and one of these tiny things held on the line with a piece of skewer.

strike-indicator-drop-4-pc.jpg

You can put a small shot down the line if you want but with a big worm it's often not necessary.

Drop that in anywhere you can get a glide down to a feature, or if you're stealthy drop it in deeper eddies under your rod tip.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Greedy buggers will take a whole variety of baits, I’m influenced by the other species and how best to avoid them. In my local Stour eels are a menace certain times of the year, they’ll take cheese, maggots and meat, at these times bread is often the safest bet. I’ve had most success with cheese paste, big lumps too! A freelined inflated lobworm floatiing downstream can be devasting and an exciting way to catch them too.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Not the most reliable for me but one of the most fun methods is floating crust in the summer.

bailpy6

Reaction score
I normally just stick with a chunk of Lob and a link ledger with a 1/4oz flat weight. I'm happy to have a catch anything mentality anyway, but stalking the chub on small rivers can be tough

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
On my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon I've always had success with trotted breadflake as well as large lumps of cheese paste especially in the winter . . . .

In the summer months then trotted maggots can be deadly as long a you are prepared to put a lot of bait in . . .

xenon

Reaction score
If my life depended on catching a chub it would be a link legered golf ball size piece of cheese paste flicked under a raft. Much prefer trotted breadflake though as a method.

Reaction score
In winter and a normal river,breadflake with liquidised bread in a small cage feeder,if float fishing mashed bread is best.

steve2

Reaction score
Over the years most of my small stream chub have been taken on bread in all forms, mainly because that what I used most of the time. The rest taken on lure, live bait, worm and cheese.
I see you have started the Essex forum.

Keith M

Reaction score
Most of my better days after Chub have been on bread flake using either a float or a link leger, or a smallish piece of bread crust on a light link leger; together with small squeezed bread pieces as loose feed.

Ive also had some good days on the bottom using bread paste mixed with raw onion juice (no lumps) and I’ve also caught quite a few lunkers on peeled prawn on a small link leger over the years.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Bread for me. Either linked legered or float fished.

Casting out into the current with a very small lead then letting the bait / lead swing back under near bank features such as overhanging trees where it comes to rest in the slacker water can be very effective. Bites can come in seconds sometimes.

Karlinho

Reaction score
I fish a lot of chub here in Sweden and for me prawn with the head taken off is my favourite. Doesn't seem very popular in UK. Really strange cause its a cracking bait. Keeps roach and most other fish away as a bonus.
I often fish it on a size 4 and a feeder filled with krill groundbait.

Last edited:

sylvanillo

Reaction score
When I was able to walk as anyone, then hold a rod for 3 hours, I would always fish for chub using nymphs. Not using a fly fishing rod but a 'toc' rod.
A beaded nymph, a series of 2 or 3 nb 4 to 8 soft shots on a 0.14 hooklink. On the 0.16 mainline, a bite indicator which could be a piece of colored line or a rigoleto (no.float!).
It works best in summer and catches most species. In colder days I would.replace the nymph by a lobworm or a small boilie.
It's delicate fishing, relying on a lot of observation, which results in fantastic fights on these thin rods.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
^Sorry, but what is a 'toc' rod?

A rod specially made for free lining or trotting a bait on a thin line. Never seen a proper translation for 'toc', probably because it's hardly used in the UK.

They call it 'free-lining' here although I'm not sure it fits with the different type of rod and reel

Normally a natural bait (worm etc) is used, but some rods are specifically designed for casting very light weights so you can cast a nymph by choosing a shotting pattern using very small shots (nº8 to 4 generally)

Example of such a rod: here (just one example there are hundreds of them..)

Some reels go well with those rods such as the Ritma 72 or Vivarelli. I have the Ritma and love it.

The sort of chub I used to catch with this:

DSCF9439.JPG

A good rod lets you present a dry fly, or a small nymph in summer, or a juicy lobworm in winter. No float. A bite indicator is needed.

Having done fly, czech nymphing and 'toc' (or whatever name we should call it!), the last by far is (was) my favourite.

Attachments

• DSCF9439.JPG
    DSCF9439.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That reel looks interesting!

And it would look nice with a mat alongside it, just saying.:)

sylvanillo

Reaction score
And it would look nice with a mat alongside it, just saying.:)

You're absolutely right. Not the best picture.
Anyway when you're me you always forget something... one day I forgot to take the second part of the rod...