Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chub Catching Methods

What's your most reliable method of catching good chub on small rivers?

Default Re: Chub Catching Methods

Worm on a size 10 to 4 depending on the size of the bait, 5lb hooklength (or straight through) and one of these tiny things held on the line with a piece of skewer.

Chub Catching Methods-strike-indicator-drop-4-pc.jpg

You can put a small shot down the line if you want but with a big worm it's often not necessary.

Drop that in anywhere you can get a glide down to a feature, or if you're stealthy drop it in deeper eddies under your rod tip.

Greedy buggers will take a whole variety of baits, I’m influenced by the other species and how best to avoid them. In my local Stour eels are a menace certain times of the year, they’ll take cheese, maggots and meat, at these times bread is often the safest bet. I’ve had most success with cheese paste, big lumps too! A freelined inflated lobworm floatiing downstream can be devasting and an exciting way to catch them too.

Not the most reliable for me but one of the most fun methods is floating crust in the summer.

I normally just stick with a chunk of Lob and a link ledger with a 1/4oz flat weight. I'm happy to have a catch anything mentality anyway, but stalking the chub on small rivers can be tough

Finding them without letting them know you're there...................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

On my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon I've always had success with trotted breadflake as well as large lumps of cheese paste especially in the winter . . . .

In the summer months then trotted maggots can be deadly as long a you are prepared to put a lot of bait in . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

If my life depended on catching a chub it would be a link legered golf ball size piece of cheese paste flicked under a raft. Much prefer trotted breadflake though as a method.

Blog Entries

In winter and a normal river,breadflake with liquidised bread in a small cage feeder,if float fishing mashed bread is best.

Anything really.....as long as it's bread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast