Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tackle made in the UK

The problem when you go looking for UK made tackle is the price. You have to be prepared to pay £100's more than you would do for a similar import.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    The only British made I have are my Ron chapman Amwell rods a wicker basket made by the blind origination workshop and lesney bread bait press

Im not sure, if my hardy marksman 14ft rod and conquest centre pin are 100% British made
    I doubt the Hardy stuff is British made...its possible but the factory closed years ago. Even if the Marksman is the original spec ( not Supero or XT) I think its more likely the blanks were imported and finished here.

I'm pretty sure some of my Hardy fly rods were made in the Uk as they are very old models and I know for a fact the factory was still operating when I bought them as I broke a tip and they rolled me a new one.

Other than that I've a few ancient British made reels and, like Simon, a couple of Daiwa rods with Union Jacks on though what that really means I couldn't say.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 20-11-2019 at 13:01.

Some of the top end Daiwa rods and poles are genuinely British made. However, don't expect to pay much less than £300 for a UK made Daiwa, most will be a fair chunk more.

As far as I'm aware, Harrison, Tri-Cast and Century blanks are still UK made.

Beyond that, you are looking at a few centrepin makers. J.W. Young being the biggest name. After that, you are looking at Mill Tackle Company (Garry Mills, who actually makes the parts for Youngs and some Perfection reels), Kingpin and Chris Lythe. There are other small scale producers like Chris Lythe, but it can be difficult to determine if they are still operating.
    Last edited by sam vimes; 20-11-2019 at 13:16.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Ah....I also have a couple of Harrison rods and Youngs centrepins which my learned friend says are also British made.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    Im not sure, if my hardy marksman 14ft rod and conquest centre pin are 100% British made
    The rod is highly doubtful. The reel is a definite no.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I doubt the Hardy stuff is British made...its possible but the factory closed years ago. Even if the Marksman is the original spec ( not Supero or XT) I think its more likely the blanks were imported and finished here.
    By that time, I doubt that there was even any assembly going on at Alnwick, at least not for the Marksman coarse rods. I'm struggling to remember when it was that I knew the Hardy/Greys main marketing man. The closest I can get is mid noughties. Anyway, by that time, which was about the time that the original Marksman coarse rods were about, the factory was just about done. There was still a small number of really high end fly rods and reels being made there, but you are talking really low volume and strictly limited stuff.

I have rods by Allcock, B. James, Peek, Rudge, Hardy, Sealey, Milbro, Martin James, North-Western, Alan Brown and Accles and Pollock, and even a greenheart monster by Forrest of Thurso, reels by Young's, Morritt's and Reuben Heaton, and seat boxes by Raze laminates, Efgeeco, and Btec, but most of those are long gone or no longer involved in tackle-making, and the items I have were secondhand buys, apart from a Rapidex I bought new.
    It really is rather sad that so little affordable tackle can be made here, but not so sad that I haven't got a bundle of oriental carbon ready for when I am too feeble to wield bamboo...

Daiwa.

Century.

Harrison.

I think: 6 Daiwa rods; I Tri Cast rod and a pole; 6 Harrison rods; a Boss box - the 4 drawer Compact Canal; 3 centrepins. So, quite a bit, come to think of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast