Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Favourite winter perch method

If you love spinning then keep doing it in winter! It's even better.
    When I was able to walk-and-fish, then my favourite in winter were:

1) wobbling deadbait, using a small sprat as a bait - superior results in river or canal. I make my rigs myself, they're based on the classic drachko rig.
    Some pictures of my rig (not stating it is the absolute perfection!) here
    In the UK, sprats are easy to find. Can be frozen in small packs and then unfrozen very slowly to keep them firm. I've used this technique in all sort of waters within 50 miles from oxford and it's worked everywhere.
    The good things with an articulated custom rig are:
    - if you add the silicon tubes then you'd rarely loose a rig - Mother Nature is happy.
    - it's so cheap
    - you can adjust the lead as needed, and on canal you may not even need a lead
    - you can add a carolina weight one or two feet above the rig, and keep the contact with the weight instead of the bait, doing pauses of up to 2 min, so it becomes a very slow tempting for pike. The carolina weight can be put on or removed, no need for knots in a cold day!

2) cochard weight with small lures. Very precise fishing e.g. a few inches from snags, bridges etc
    Some pictures here

Another option is a customised spoon. Pics here

Unfortunately i can't do any of these anymore as my back is not happy ....

... so I'll also try with the other options given in this post!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sylvanillo View Post
    1) wobbling deadbait, using a small sprat as a bait - superior results in river or canal. I make my rigs myself, they're based on the classic drachko rig.
    Some pictures of my rig (not stating it is the absolute perfection!)
    That looks very interesting and something I'd like to try on my local canal - my French isn't up to understanding the description very well, though! I can see that the silicone tubing covering the exposed points of the trebles would prevent the rig getting snagged, but does it not impede the strike when the fish takes the sprat?

Blog Entries

Being a bit of an old traditionalist I prefer to fish a lobworm under a nice old perch bobber float.

Prior or to moving to Norway I had never caught a two pound perch. In my first match at Hamar I had three over three pounds to legered worm.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Thanks there is some excellent information here, the second method looks like a Texas rig. Definitely give these a go
    Thanks guy

Quote Originally Posted by David Rogers 3 View Post
    That looks very interesting and something I'd like to try on my local canal - my French isn't up to understanding the description very well, though! I can see that the silicone tubing covering the exposed points of the trebles would prevent the rig getting snagged, but does it not impede the strike when the fish takes the sprat?
    Ah yes sorry, that was in french- ohlala!
    My modest experience shows the silicon elytras don't impede the strike. I've taken hundreds of zander with this.
    Also those tubes have the immense advantage of keeping the same bait on for a long time because the rig goes smoothly between snags. On a typical English canal a sprat or a smell will last up to an hour, more in winter.

The silicon tube is from my local tackle shop, 2 mm very soft silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by The occasional angler View Post
    Thanks there is some excellent information here, the second method looks like a Texas rig. Definitely give these a go
    Thanks guy
    The texas rig and its derivatives use a texas lead, so retrieving the line is all linear. While the cochard lead has a shape which makes it to fall back in any direction. Initially, the lead itself is a lure actually, but I prefer it coupled with a soft lure. This isn't my idea, I took it from a nice chap who fishes for zander on canals in northern france.

One last thing I've never tried but works damn well is a wobbling lobworm (the real worm, not a lure).

sylvanillo's 3 French sites translated

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Translate

NB, google translate has decided that "perche" means "pole"

Google translate leaves a lot to be desired and is far too literal in my experience. I preferred the French version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12