Old British Chub record on the Hampshire Avon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am looking for an old Chub record, I do not know the date, pre modern for sure, could be anything 1930’s 40’s, 50's. Did a N. Day hold the record chub caught on the Hampshire Avon ever. I have tried Google, looking for old British Record lists or anything really, just can’t find anything. A long shot but Mark Wintle or someone might know or where to look.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No record I can find but a Joe Day did hold the barbel record with a Royalty fish of 13-12.

I think you may have it Mark, I am trying to corroborate a story I heard and I have the name and species mixed up. The story related to the Royalty and the time is about right 1962. I could only find a reference to it on Wikipedia now I have a proper name.
13 lb 12 oz Joe Day Oct 1962 Royalty Fishery, Hampshire Avon, Christchurch Dorset 32 years

I am sure this must be it.
Thanks, your a gem.

Philip

Reaction score
From childhood memory Bill Warren had a 7.6 record Chub from the Avon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Phillip but I think it is Joe day. The story was about an angler on the Royalty called Day, that much I remember and it went -
As he walked over the bridge he saw an angler already in his swim so he just waited and watched for a while from the bridge. He noticed the angler was float fishing trotted maggots at about 6ft depth. What he knew and probably the angler did not was that there was a 12ft hole in the river there and his maggots were trotting right over it. He was steadily feeding maggots all the time and Mr. Day reckoned they were all disappearing down this hole and that’s where all the fish would be feeding so he just waited for the angler to pack up and as soon as he did he went to the swim set his float at 12ft and started to fish. His first bite was a chub of huge weight which became the British record for a while.
I think I must have got the species wrong and it was a barble by a Joe Day. I was told the story around the 1960/70's so 1962 fits right as well.
I just like the story and I am using it in a project. A good lesson in patience, knowing your river and plumbing the depth.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
This post made me look at the list of UK record fish I no longer knew the weight of any of the records. Made me realise how many of the new records on the record progress chart are just repeat captures not new fish. Many of the record weights I knew by heart when growing up were wiped out in the record purge.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Back in the day it was a very rare occurence for a record to be beaten. Then we had the purge which got rid of a few dodgy ones ( like 7lb grayling !) and some proper ones too. Now with all the boilies and pellets that have been going in for years the records far exceed those I had comitted to memory as a boy.... along with captor and venue.Those old records would hardly raise an eyebrow now....the barbel being one, tench another not to mention carp and bream. I doubt I could recall a single current record closer than a pound or two nowadays.

The Big Feller has one of those pewter mugs with all the records engraved on them....as did a lot of anglers back then. They'd stood for years then and continued to do so for some time.

Last edited: