Is the grass always greener

john step

Reaction score
Whats your attitude to your choice of venue in these inclement weather times.

My own horizons have been narrowed considerably lately. I would normally at this time be on a large river after pike but its still over the banks and covering the fields. You may have seen pictures of the farmhouse that is now an island hereabouts.
The other major river is high, coloured and the banks are far too slippery.
A good roach fishery lost most of its stock to lack of oxygen last summer.
Another couple have been cormoranted well and truly.
I have caught the decent pike from my own club lake so do I want to repeat capture them.

Whilst the days are short to spend too much time travelling I am limited to the old standby of carp. I was getting the feeling after this summer of being "all carped out" but have come round to the feeling that at least its being out fishing and getting my string pulled and being grateful for that.

I am looking forward to some dryer weather so the rivers can drop. That may not be for a month or three?

How are you fairing?

chrissh

Reaction score
The rivers here are up and down like tarts draws, one of the commercial’s I fish is gin clear the other one is mud coloured and another of them the road is too bad to drive on.
So that leaves me with the chesterfield canal for a bit of perch / chub/ roach fishing until things settle

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There’s a pot hole down the road, might give that a go.

rich66

Reaction score
My local river is well up and will be rising a bit more I guess. Against my better judgement I decided to fish it yesterday and had one chub.
I’ll be back on the lakes next week that’s if the roads not flooded that leads to it. There’s a lake that apparently fishes very well over winter so I’ll see if the roach are feeding.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm grabbing the odd few hours when the weather isn't too horrible and the river level isn't too high. Beyond that, I'm barely looking out of the window unless it's to go food shopping, visit the folks, or go beating. I may resort to a stillwater soon if the rivers stay high. I'll be out tomorrow to help stock some shiny new scaley mirror carp into the syndicate lake. Beyond that, I've got a visit to the accountant, a few beating trips and a funeral before Christmas. Hopefully, I'll squeeze the odd fishing trip in as well.

Reaction score
I must be honest this can be a difficult time of year,with temperatures falling,lakes clearing as daylight hours are short,rivers around here are either flying through or clearing rapidly,ive been to Bedford Monday,had 47 roach with a couple around 12ozs,9 dace,and three skimmers,two of them over the pound,if the river clears i might try the punch,but with monsoon conditions that seems unlikely,my normal go to,the deep club lake close to me is awkward as you only start catching an hour and a half before dark....

Last edited:

GT56

Reaction score
Enjoying the Trent twice a week with the odd outing somewhere else was my plan but this weather has totally ruined that. I've fished the river once in 11 weeks, this in less than ideal conditions resulting in a miserable blank. My plan has dramatically reduced to once a week and occasions not even that. These sometimes spur of the moment, weather dependant outings have confirmed I'm no canal or pole Angler. Unfortunately something I already knew but I enjoy a challenge and intend to take it on again tomorrow. With dry weather forecasted the backend of next week might mean a return to the river and I'll hopefully be there expecting a challenge.

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know about the grass but the mud is thicker, browner and even less appealing. I have to get out though so will try one of three venues tomorrow. The favourite may only have a few pegs which are not submerged but there are others. I won't travel far.

steve2

Reaction score
My go to winter Pike venue is now too dangerous to fish after all this rain. Slipping down steep banks into 6ft of water is not my idea of fun. My next choice means a half a mile walk across muddy fields due to the track and car park being to muddy to drive on.
With even more rain in the forecast not much chance if any of fishing these venues again for a while.
Getting to the stage where even my least favourite towpath venues are starting to look good if it ever stops raining.