Brolly vs Day shelter thingy

rich66

Reaction score
Looking at replacing my old £10 car boot brolly. It’s not the biggest thing but has served me ok. But I could do with something bigger and preferably lighter. To keep me drier and warmer Mines old fashioned and heavyish.

I fish mainly stillwaters but do like to fish the
rivers & canals on occasions. When I fish the rivers I normally don’t even take a chair just stand or crouch, sit on my bum in the summer.

So a bigger brolly or one of those light weight day shelter jobs ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had shelters and I've had various types of brolly. Shelters are fine as a lightweight bivvy replacement in good weather conditions, or even as a brolly substitute where banks are even and relatively spacious. They border on useless for a pole or float angler, unless you just want to keep your gear dry. You'll end up sitting outside of the shelter to fish effectively. They are great if you are fishing with rod(s) on buzzers.

Brollies are a bit better for the pole/running line float angler and in places where the banks aren't even close to flat. However, they can still be a PITA, especially for a user of rods in a more hands on style (float fishing, quiver tipping etc).

Most of my angling sounds similar to yours (minus canals but a bit more river). I rarely take a brolly to a still water and rocky banks make them a waste of time on my rivers. I'd actually suggest that you'd be better served by top quality waterproofs. I do that, but I'm not overly concerned about my minimal gear and luggage getting wet.

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks Sam that’s a good idea re the waterproofs. I had wondered on how restrictive a day shelter would be and not being a sit behind alarms angler sounds like it’s just be a pain. I can manage to float fish ok from under a brolly so maybe I keep my old one and buy some decent waterproofs then

mikench

Reaction score
I have both but it's the brolly which gets more use. It's very useful to protect you from cold winds regardless of the rain. They do inhibit general casting but you can always emerge, cast and retreat. A brolly which covers you in the vertical and also which can be pinned down at the back with the wind behind is best. I have tried to sit in the rain but did not find it remotely enjoyable.

peterjg

Reaction score
Unless I am doing an overnighter I use a 50inch brolly instead of a day shelter because it is so quick to put up and down if the rain stops, no need to even get up. I do wish though that a 55inch brolly was available - 60inch brollies are too big and too heavy for day use.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A case of 'horses for courses' really; a shelter is perfectly good and comfortable for a session where you intend to stay in the one swim whereas a brolly is far better suited to a roaming style of fishing.

I have both a flat back brolly as well as a decent day shelter which is also better if or when you need to stay out of the wind.

These days with newer materials a day shelter need not be too heavy or a cumbersome item when compared to a brolly.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hve both and dont get on terribly well with either. The shelter has never been used because I bought it specifically for the odd overnighter which seemed like a good idea at the time but never happened. The brolly is more practical in that its quicker and easier to set up/take down though I dislike it intensely....especially when it has to be packed away wet. But its fine as a windbreak or sunshade. I wouldn't use a shelter unless I was overnighting...too much hassle setting up and even the light ones are heavy imo.

My brolly is currently in the garden still soaking wet after Tuesdays drenching. That is one thing that irritates me intensely about brollies...drying the damned things off, especially this time of year.

This is one of the main reasons why I rarely go if rain is forecast. I detest setting up/ packing away in the wet...and I dont much like fishing in it either.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I have and use both... the brolly sees far more use (it's a maver flatback with a "nubrolli" pole system where the pole can be relocated at the back to give you more room underneath, this is really useful providing there is some breeze which you can set it up against).

However, the occasions when the shelter (an original fox evolution, something I see they're trying to re-launch) gets used, i'm usually really grateful for the extra coverage. Sometimes that because i'm fishing with my son or maybe even the missus... The fact is it really does a great job of getting me AND my kit out of the weather. It's also surprising just how much warmer it is than sitting under a brolly.

mikench

Reaction score
There are quite a few Black Friday bargains in day shelters. Have a look at The Tackle Box website.

naxian62

Reaction score
FWIW I have an ESP Lo-Pro for overnighters, in Summer, have now started using it for my day sessions. Am loving the extra coverage it affords.
Interested in which waterproofs Sam Vimes is using ATM. As I'm in the market for new pair of trousers.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If I had a "little man" to set up,take down and above all carry a shelter for me then I'd use one....he could hammer my brolly in too; and make the tea/cook the bacon sarnies while he was at it.

There's an awful lot to be said for ghillies. Ive tried to persuade the BF to act as one for me but he's having none of it.

BTW...the brolly was drying off nicely this afternoon when I popped out. Now its raining and the bloody thing's as wet as ever again. Bollox !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Interested in which waterproofs Sam Vimes is using ATM. As I'm in the market for new pair of trousers.

Mostly a Browning (shooting) jacket/zip in fleece and trousers combo. Bought because they were really cheap and I'd had a good experience with another Browning (shooting) coat. With pots of cash to throw at it, I'd be investing in Halkon Hunt gear, provided I could get it made in muted greens/khaki.