Dettol used as a paint stripper

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anybody used it for that purpose?

seth49

Reaction score
Seen a thread on another forum, Traditional Fisherman’s Forum, on it being used to strip paint of a centrepin reel, before it was repainted.

From memory it took a couple of days or so to remove the paint, so not a quick job, but probably safer.

seth49

Reaction score
Some before and after photos would be useful, I’ve a couple of reels I’d like to strip and repaint.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some before and after photos would be useful, I’ve a couple of reels I’d like to strip and repaint.

No prob, should get the reel next week, it’s cost has gone up, Dettol @ £3-50 a bottle, no other brands work apparently.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've seen this before and suspect it has more to do with the type/quality of the paint used on Speedias than it does the paint stripping abilities of Dettol.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A quick Google reveals that modellers have used Dettol for stripping paint from plastics for years. There is just the right amount of caustic soda in the solution to act as a very gentle stripper without damaging the plastic.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have used oven cleaner in a spray can on furniture. Spray it on and leave it for an half an hour or more and then wash it off with a hose, always did this outside and then leave the furniture to dry out in the sun. It strips old varnish off and is cheap enough from pound shops. I used to sand and re varnish and end up with a fairly decent looking bit of furniture. Paint strippers were quite expensive and you didn’t get a lot of it for your money and as I was doing up quite a bit of furniture at the time it saved me a bit of money. Whether it’s any good or safe enough to use on a fishing reel or rod I wouldn’t know but possible I suppose, however, a warning, oven cleaner is a bit lethal so gloves, outside and up-wind was always best when I used it on furniture but maybe not too bad on a small item like a fishing reel or rod. But, as I say, never tried it on either so what the effect would be on carbon and split cane for examples I wouldnt know.
Coca cola and vinegar is used to clean up old coins although often best left alone but anything with acid in it works; whether it would actually strip paint I don’t know but again cheap to use. However, if dettol works it sounds like a gentler option. I believe oven cleaner has caustic soda in it as well but probably more of it so it might be quicker than dettol.

Last edited: