Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you tempted I was.

My wife asked me did I need any fishing tackle for Christmas. After checking through websites I came to the conclusion that there is nothing I want or need I have more than enough to see me out.
    I then went into the local tackle shop and then realised there was so much that no one really needs to go fishing and catch fish. But there is more than enough out there to catch anglers. Even I was tempted on trying a few new rods and reels, I didn’t buy.
    It’s a bit like a kid in a sweet shop.

Default Re: Are you tempted I was.

Because money has been tight in the past for me I still find the padlock on my wallet difficult to unlock.
    I do buy tackle nowadays but only to replace stuff that is getting worn out or broken.

I do find I am spending on the bits of accessories quite a lot due to the increased amount of fishing since retirement.
    A rod holdall and rucksack are a points in question. They seem to wear out and develop holes so much quicker. I put cut down plastic containers in the bases of the umbrella and bank stick pockets as they just are not the same quality any more.

And dont mention chairs that seem to be made to collapse and fall apart. ( the strongest one I have ever had is my Nash Daddy Longlegs but you can only use it when near to the car as its so heavy)
    Last edited by john step; 30-11-2019 at 10:16.

I am always tempted and have a few benign influences on buying more Tackle. I really do not need any more rods and reels but I do lose terminal tackle such as feeders quite regularly. I lost my brolly a few months ago so had to buy a new one. I rationalise a purchase against a packet of fags( I haven't smoked for 36 years), a takeaway or even just a supermarket shop. I'd rather spend £100 on a new rod than a trolley of food which I don't need and which is gone in days.

Blog Entries

I have all the fly rods I will ever need or want . . . .

Oh look, the new Sage ESN European Nymphing rod . . . YES!!!!

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Over the last couple of years I emptied my tackle room of everything I had not used for years.
    I made a conscious decision not to buy anything else apart from terminal tackle. Since mid summer I've bought myself a new Diawa reel and a new waggler rod.
    Don't ask me why, I suppose it's just a weakness. I'm just vulnerable to bargains.

No one else buys tackle for me. I'm not remotely tempted to ask anyone else to buy tackle for me. I definitely don't need anything beyond consumables and perhaps the odd direct replacement for an old, knackered item.

However, I'll always be tempted by an item that might be better than I already have. I'm often tempted by a significant bargain. That doesn't mean that I'll always buy. Just yesterday I saw a rod with £575 RRP (easily bagged for £400ish) offered for under £100 (inc P&P). For a very short time, I was tempted, even if I only bought it to sell. However, I know myself well enough that I'd probably never sell it. The ultimate reality would be that I'd be spending £100 on a rod of a type and length I have no use for. I was still very tempted, but I din't buy it. There will be something else come along to spend my money on soon enough.

Took my seized up TDX 3012 reel (older black and silver version) to the tackle shop this morning. They offered to send it to Daiwa for repair if I paid the postage.
    Not certain how much the repair would cost so I looked at the new 3012 model @ £235.. I was sorely tempted to buy it instead of getting mine repaired..
    Resisted and plumped for the repair job....
    Last edited by peter crabtree; 30-11-2019 at 15:37.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I am struggling to think of reasons why I need any more rods/reels etc but sometimes I just fancy something new......and ( as I have often said) when you reach a certain age " if not now...when ?"

Dont think I've ever worn a rod out...maybe a reel or two along the way but my stuff just doesn't get used enough any more

I have no qualms about buying new gear that I want, or perhaps even need. What I don't want is to be sat at the drinking benches in the halls of Valhalla crying in my ale and bemoaning the fact I didn't get that neat bit of tackle I'd been agonising over, before I pegged out. Pete
    Last edited by bracket; 30-11-2019 at 16:19.
    Casternets

I recently had a barbel rod made up to match my favourite Harrison. It was built by a former Harrison employee, who looked at the pic of my 2004 rod and said "Yeah, I built that. Would you like me to make this one identical?". Nice coincidence, and I'm pleased to have a spare or the option to rig up a pair, although I only ever use one rod at a time.

That aside, I don't really look at new rods etc. I really like the ones I've got, and I like the fact that I've had them so long and used them so much. I doubt there's anything that much better out there, and I know from experience that for me the thrill of a bit of retail therapy soon gives way to annoyance with myself for getting something else to trip over in the spare room. Post-purchase tristesse.

That said, I'm still always happy to take a punt on a new club card or permit. I have no problem justifying spending on (hopefully) better fishing. In the last couple of months I've bought a card for a Trent stretch which will be useless until next June - but should pay for itself in early season fun. And a ticket for some estate ponds that are just a lovely place to fish. I know you can't take it with you etc, but I'm more interested in the experience than the gear these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast