New record Barbel announced

bullet

Reaction score
He looks extremely clean, so I'm assuming he got it first cast or changed fot the photo...

Reaction score
Im sorry to say it,but the mans a fool,he will have people who have seen him blabbing and the venue will be swamped by morons and for what,your name in a list,people swamped the Ivel when the big fish were there and pressured them terribly,glad i dont fish there because i would be pi$$ed with the guy,a member on this site did similar after he decided to move to pastures new,he knows who he is and thats that,may as well knock em on the head with a priest...

theartist

Reaction score
Im sorry to say it,but the mans a fool,he will have people who have seen him blabbing and the venue will be swamped by morons and for what,your name in a list,people swamped the Ivel when the big fish were there and pressured them terribly,glad i dont fish there because i would be pi$$ed with the guy,a member on this site did similar after he decided to move to pastures new,he knows who he is and thats that,may as well knock em on the head with a priest...

Wow Alan, The Ivel fish weren't pressured that much, they took much more of a hit from those furry critters as you know, so much that the river is a shadow of itself for all species now. Despite the circus the river stayed true which shows that those anglers fishing it did ok, maybe they just wanted to catch a twenty, I know I did but was happy to get chub and dace if not.

Not sure we should chastise the guy but this was going to happen with the church in the background, maybe he should have done the swirly photo shop background jobby who knows

Aknib

Reaction score

Amen to that.

I know of a credible account of a 22lb 10oz fish from over two years ago and the captor wanted nothing to do with any record or fame, I have little reservation for those who will associate me with the river as it's a VERY big river and anyone finding the needle in that hay stack would deserve it but full respect to the bloke all the same.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The Ouse, Arun and Adur all hold Barbel, could be any. I hope the guy doesn't get any grief for the recognisable background. Hope it's from a tidal stretch as those rivers push through like beasts, that will get the circus spinning like tops :D
I have fished the Arun and the Ouse, not sure about the Adur, may have done in the distant past. You’re right they push through at a rate of knots which should deter the circus. However, I think I would report a record fish myself, I just think it is of biological importance for the country as much as anything else and would the circus only last for a while? Wouldn’t they get fed up in the end?

theartist

Reaction score
I suspect it wasn't from a tidal stretch though and with the church the location will get found eventually even if it stays officially as a Sussex river. It's quite likely it's a club water, lets hope it stays so and doesn't go syndicate, looks like a nice place to wet a line regardless

Reaction score
Wow Alan, The Ivel fish weren't pressured that much, they took much more of a hit from those furry critters as you know, so much that the river is a shadow of itself for all species now. Despite the circus the river stayed true which shows that those anglers fishing it did ok, maybe they just wanted to catch a twenty, I know I did but was happy to get chub and dace if not.

Not sure we should chastise the guy but this was going to happen with the church in the background, maybe he should have done the swirly photo shop background jobby who knows

Please,dont misunderstand me,full respect to the guy for his capture of such a huge fish,but unless he photo shopped the background lots of anglers will know exactly where that is,some will tell mates,job done,the day i caught my 18lber there were at least 17 anglers fishing the stretch(which you and i both know)in the week,that had similar pressure for three weeks,most of them only interested in the fish i caught,me,i was happy with anything,though tackled for barbel,the fish only stayed in a peg for two or three days before pressure shuffled them to another swim,in my opinion there were only roughly ten pegs where the barbel wanted to be,but they would only ever be in two or three,the only reason they were'nt under pressure throughout the year is that they didnt come out in a lot of conditions/times of year....If Keith Spears was still with us you could ask him why he arrived well before first light...so he could get his preferred swim before someone else jumped in it is the answer,that is pressure...

nottskev

Reaction score
This seems an odd story, on the face of it; is more of the story behind the picture known? It seems inexplicably naive to put out a record barbel pic with a landmark in the background - I can't see whose interest that would be in (including the interests of the fish). I'm quite sure I'll never have to think what to do about the record barbel I've just caught, but I imagine the safe return of the fish, getting evidence of it's capture and minimising any clues to trigger an invasion would be the priorities.

theartist

Reaction score
Please,dont misunderstand me,full respect to the guy for his capture of such a huge fish,but unless he photo shopped the background lots of anglers will know exactly where that is,some will tell mates,job done,the day i caught my 18lber there were at least 17 anglers fishing the stretch(which you and i both know)in the week,that had similar pressure for three weeks,most of them only interested in the fish i caught,me,i was happy with anything,though tackled for barbel,the fish only stayed in a peg for two or three days before pressure shuffled them to another swim,in my opinion there were only roughly ten pegs where the barbel wanted to be,but they would only ever be in two or three,the only reason they were'nt under pressure throughout the year is that they didnt come out in a lot of conditions/times of year....If Keith Spears was still with us you could ask him why he arrived well before first light...so he could get his preferred swim before someone else jumped in it is the answer,that is pressure...

Yes it was pressure but the fish coped, they were pristine which must say something and they seemed to thrive until 'you know what' happened. On the many times I saw Keith Speer he would quite as often turn up mid afternoon for a vacated swim knowing his skill with the float could well give him an edge, especially there where the Barbel to like a moving bait.

I think we underestimate how well anglers can work with the environment and how little affect we have on fish populations and health when it's done responsibly. Everyone I encountered there seemed to have a healthy respect for the fish and the river itself. Those fish could have travelled miles if they wanted to

Reaction score
What actually happened though Rob,was that there were odd places where the barbel could lie up and not be fished for,they didn't feed i them,just hid themselves for a day or so,then got back to feeding when recovered,as for travelling miles,im afraid the 'common' didn't suit the big fish,only for spawning,or cleaning up after it,i saw 'the' big fish in the shallows below the car park one closed season,with a shoal of chub,the fish were healthy,in the main because the circus didn't arrive until three weeks before the end of the season,they didn't reach optimum weight till then and didnt feed well enough either...

theartist

Reaction score
Here's a thought - Given the significance of this fish, If the captor had gone all secret regarding the location, with no background just the name of the county, would we have another Gaymire scenario?

Reaction score
Possibly Rob,I dont entirely trust the gen,lets be fair it could be anywere within reason,unless you know where that background is.

If i caught a fish of record size i wouldnt claim it and couldnt care less if someone else did not believe me,i know i caught my 18,two others unfortunately were there when i netted it and witnessed it,thing is it would have meant as much to me if it was an ounce smaller,i will not lie to myself over the weight of a fish,let alone to others,unlike some very well known anglers...

theartist

Reaction score
Possibly Rob,I dont entirely trust the gen,lets be fair it could be anywere within reason,unless you know where that background is.

If i caught a fish of record size i wouldnt claim it and couldnt care less if someone else did not believe me,i know i caught my 18,two others unfortunately were there when i netted it and witnessed it,thing is it would have meant as much to me if it was an ounce smaller,i will not lie to myself over the weight of a fish,let alone to others,unlike some very well known anglers...

That leads to the question is it right to question the authenticity of the guy without any knowledge of him or the fish?

Reaction score
I wasn't questioning his authenticity,or the fish,where it may have been caught could be in question,i.e. a Sussex river,to me it matters not a jot,but there have been anglers who regularly told porkies,my comments were in the context of i dont care if people i dont know think im lying about weights,because i know im morally sound and reliable,my conscience is lily white...

flightliner

Reaction score
Tbh I thought it was the Tidal Trent some one and a half miles below Cromwell weir. Almost an identical background locally.
Glad it's not tho, plenty of time for the BB record to end up coming from the river !

Reaction score
How do you know its not Mick,people fib,in fact some cant stop lying,in my area there is a specimen angler who photo shops all the background out of all his trophy snaps,it must give him a lot of pleasure,tho not me,i just dont think its worth all the effort...

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
That's not a church spire in the background, it's a disguised power station cooling tower.....������

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
How do you know its not Mick,people fib,in fact some cant stop lying,in my area there is a specimen angler who photo shops all the background out of all his trophy snaps,it must give him a lot of pleasure,tho not me,i just dont think its worth all the effort...
I'm still not entirely convinced Alan, the church spire in the pic seems to have a cruik spire but the one I'm thinking it may be I can't remember it's type.
I'll pop thro the village next time I'm down that way and check it out !

steve2

Reaction score
There have been plenty of reports over the years of fish being caught where they weren’t.
Sometimes not just different fisheries, different counties, lakes instead of rivers, rivers instead of lakes, anything to put others off.
I have done it on a smaller scale never really telling friends exactly where some of my best fish came from.

Reaction score
Look,when i caught mine,i said it was from the Ouse,big fish were and still come from there,but i had too many friends fishing what is a short stretch of small river and wasnt prepared to lose those,or put more pressure on what was a relatively small number of barbel,at times towards the end ive had to turn the car around because there were so many there,nowadays there is nobody there,along with hardly any fish to boot...