Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 65
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    1,988

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Like others I have no interest in fish records. In the past yes but now I couldn't even tell you what the records are. There is no extra skill in catching records just right place right time; I would also say the same about all my own PB's.
    That Barbel most probably weighs less now than when it was caught so it was just caught from the right place at the right time. Would it now be a fish worth chasing after? Would it be a boost to someone’s ego to catch the same fish at 20lbs 15ozs?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Luton Bedfordshire.
    Posts
    3,692
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I'm going to look like a party-pooper here, but even though I'm as keen on my fishing as the next angler, I rarely think about record fish sizes, in fact I'm not really bothered, and I'd score precious few in a Mastermind round on the subject.

    I take nothing away from the exploits of those dedicated to catching the biggest fish, but I have only a mild curiosity about it. I like to fish for a bag of fish rather than a big specimen, and where/how I fish a 1lb roach, a 6lb bream or a 4lb tench are lovely fish regardless of their relation in size to one that has grown freakishly large in some part of the country that provides special conditions, often only for a short period. My honest reaction to someone who tells me a 6lb chub came out of here or there is, can you tell me where I can catch 3 2lb'ers, as that's more fun and implies a healthier river, as I know a couple with some scarce, big old chub and none coming through behind them, the Derwent for instance.

    I only bought a first set of scales this year, after a lifetime of fishing, as I was curious about some of the barbel I caught this summer. Before that - and I've still hardly used them - I had enough of a yardstick from seeing other people weigh the odd fish, having the odd fish weighed for me by someone else or having match catches weighed.

    I share information about water and swims with friends, but I'd dismayed if the captor of the kind of fish likely to spark a goldrush drew the crowds to a water I fished, especially if it were a relatively small and quiet one. Even on my local river - a giant Motorway compared to one of the small southern A or B roads - you can see the effects of less scrupulous anglers aggressively stalking successful ones and chasing up media reports.
    Everything above sums how i feel,apart from having a set of scales,i wouldnt knowingly fish without a set,just because these special fish come at the most strange times....

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Luton Bedfordshire.
    Posts
    3,692
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Like others I have no interest in fish records. In the past yes but now I couldn't even tell you what the records are. There is no extra skill in catching records just right place right time; I would also say the same about all my own PB's.
    That Barbel most probably weighs less now than when it was caught so it was just caught from the right place at the right time. Would it now be a fish worth chasing after? Would it be a boost to someone’s ego to catch the same fish at 20lbs 15ozs?
    There is lot of skill/watercraft that goes into being a successful specimen hunter(and i certainly am not a specimen hunter,just like catching decent,net fish),and although there are the record sized fish chasers,the vast majority of anglers havent had barbel over 15lbs,probably less,so a venue containg a 20,normally equates to a larger than average size fish being available,if i had not caught my big barbel i wouldnt be running round trying to catch one,i think im blessed to have had the fortune to see such a magnificent creature,really blessed....

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,031

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    I fish mainly for pleasure and I relate fish to the size they are in the water I fish, A 4lb chub would be massive on some of the waters I fish but; if I caught a record fish by accident I would want to report it for reasons already given but it's unlikely simply because of all the rules you have to follow would be too much for me, it would be easier just to put it back. But I would say I had caught it on here for example or maybe the press but then no one would believe me and I could become the next gaymire.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    I used to think like a lot of the posts on here however is it really that bad that some anglers would want to catch a record fish? We all have challenges and that keeps things fresh especially if you have been round the block a few times.

    They have got every right to turn up and fish a venue with the correct permissions and dare I say it, is their publicity any different to us lot posting in the HYDGO thread every week for all to see?

  6. #56

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    is their publicity any different to us lot posting in the HYDGO thread every week for all to see?
    HDYGO does not, so far as I know, make national news and has, I've heard, fewer readers than Facebook, AT etc. . It's not afaIk used as a source by big fish chasers, unlike some media. Many posts are vague as to location; some are careful to avoid breaking club publicity rules. Many HDYGO posters are pursuing relative minority interests, like trad fishing on natural waters where we meet few others fishing, as posters quite often remark. Nobody, since I've been reading or posting on the thread has complained about posts attracting unwanted extra fishing pressure - but we know publicity in other media can trigger this. And so on. So yes, it can be different.

    What you see around some of the more famous hotspots on rivers around here wouldn't really be called "keeping it fresh". It's more like people fighting to get at flat-screen tv's on Black Friday.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    On another planet
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    HDYGO does not, so far as I know, make national news and has, I've heard, fewer readers than Facebook, AT etc. . It's not afaIk used as a source by big fish chasers, unlike some media. Many posts are vague as to location; some are careful to avoid breaking club publicity rules. Many HDYGO posters are pursuing relative minority interests, like trad fishing on natural waters where we meet few others fishing, as posters quite often remark. Nobody, since I've been reading or posting on the thread has complained about posts attracting unwanted extra fishing pressure - but we know publicity in other media can trigger this. And so on. So yes, it can be different.

    What you see around some of the more famous hotspots on rivers around here wouldn't really be called "keeping it fresh". It's more like people fighting to get at flat-screen tv's on Black Friday.
    Thing is Kev there's hotspots around the country where the barbel barely scrape double figures, yet they see a lot of anglers. There's a hypocrisy how sometimes we lament in other threads that there's no anglers on the banks like the good ol' days when they were lined up like sardines but should they turn up now at ours we are in full on 'Not in my back yard' mode

    We are in danger of judging them the way the general public judge us, they're just fishing and the bad apples shouldn't ruin the whole bunch

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    1,988

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    There is lot of skill/watercraft that goes into being a successful specimen hunter
    Agree, but there is no extra skill in catching a record it's just down to luck.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south yorkshire
    Posts
    6,493
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Many years ago on a Notts gravel pit I had a rather large Crucian carp on sweetcorn, it went a little over four lbs. the record at that time if I remember was a fish from a water near Kings Lynn that was five lbs ten ounces.
    I did give the story to ATs where it was mentioned a week or two later.
    The following year two things happened, one was the same fish was caught by a matchman (well done to him) and two- the record fish was thrown out as it was found to be a big brown goldfish and ATs asked that Crucians of four lbs and over would be accepted for consideration for a new record.
    I never enquired if my fish would be considered retrospectively , I as just happy to know what I'd caught and after all it was also caught by the match angler some time later .
    Would I have claimed it if the record then was, say 3-15 or 4-0 lb?
    Hand on heart-- yes!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Luton Bedfordshire.
    Posts
    3,692
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New record Barbel announced

    Each to their own,but im sorry to say i know people who fish for big fish,of all species,a true specimen hunter,he tells nobody anything,methods baits,venues,tackle,he photo shops everything out of every picture he takes,sad,because one of the best pictures i have is of a 9lb 14ozs barbel,it was a fluke,but a mate took the picture and though not realising it,the trees branches on both banks angled down to my head with the river Avon glistening behind and alongside me,Rob would understand but it was a work of art and hangs on my wall blown up,the only thing wrong with it is the ugly guy holding it,i thought of photo shopping it but......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •