"Angling Direct reels in record Black Friday sales"

Windy

Reaction score
"Fishing tackle and equipment retailer Angling Direct has reported record sales over the Black Friday week.

It said total sales from 25 November to 2 December rose 11.3% to £1.86m while profits jumped 49.5%"

Blimey.

Wish I had shares in it now !

mikench

Reaction score
Much depends on how the profit figure is calculated . I suspect the figure quoted is gross and thus potentially meaningless.

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Not a big fan of them tbh. I find the staffs attitude to a noob very poor and unhelpfull.

I also find the website pretty clunky and not very user friendly.

I was after a Daiwa kitbag to put all my gear in.

Waited till BF, checked the website...

WAS £42.99, now £34.99....

i popped into my local Tackle shop, and bought if from them for £27!

Aknib

Reaction score
Blimey...

There were already pages upon pages of out of stock items on their website, there'll be even more now they've flogged all that gear :confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I remain sceptical that they were ever in stock in the first place.

What on earth have AD done to upset you? You seem to have a real downer for them. They aren't my idea of fun, but I have had some real bargains out of them. It would certainly be a very unusual business that went to the trouble and expense of adding a page to a website for a product they never stock.

chrissh

Reaction score
If you do your homework, AD will price match take proof that you can buy it cheaper and they will match that price, and you get point on your card if you have one to spend later
I picked up a Drennan 12ft Match Pro Ultralight for £70 from AD

mikench

Reaction score
What on earth have AD done to upset you? You seem to have a real downer for them. They aren't my idea of fun, but I have had some real bargains out of them. It would certainly be a very unusual business that went to the trouble and expense of adding a page to a website for a product they never stock.

Absolutely nothing in fact I like them a lot and have had great service and a few bargains. My comments about retailers not having stock applies to a whole range of products not just fishing gear across many disciplines . Often a product comes up in the search and at an attractive price but when you go to their site they are out of stock. It’s a ruse to direct internet traffic to a site. I should have made my comment clearer and more expansive. Ftaod i love AD!

I hope to go to my local AD for Xmas drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing in fact I like them a lot and have had great service and a few bargains. My comments about retailers not having stock applies to a whole range of products not just fishing gear across many disciplines . Often a product comes up in the search and at an attractive price but when you go to their site they are out of stock. It’s a ruse to direct internet traffic to a site. I should have made my comment clearer and more expansive. Ftaod i love AD!

I hope to go to my local AD for Xmas drinks.

AD definitely manipulate prices in a "clever" way. However, that's a long way from them never having had stock, or never having sold an item at the price seen on the website. I'm pretty sure I've told you about me getting a Browning Sphere from them for £200. I've also had a Daiwa Air AGS out of them for around £200. For a good few months after my purchases, until they got new stock of the items concerned, the prices I paid showed on the website whilst it showed "out of stock". I'd consider that to be a pretty clever way of going about things. It only becomes an issue if you are rather naive or totally unaware of what they are doing.

I've had other AD bargains further back in time. I'm pretty sure that a mutual friend has had similar bargains. There are lots of reasons to dislike modern retail practices, and AD in particular, but I still think your comments are somewhat off the mark.

mikench

Reaction score
My local Tackle shop often couldn't supply a particular reel because they had to buy a minimum number maybe 10. I would buy 1 and they would be left with 9. With the sheer variety of reels available such stock levels could not be maintained. AD and other large multiples( not just Angling based) do not have these issues and because they can buy in far greater bulk can then create examples of your bargains at prices which may never be repeated. The items may never be restocked . There is nothing to prevent a whole pile of items from tv's to rods, from sofas to windscreen wipers, being listed on a website but shown as not in stock.

My point which I clearly haven't yet made is that this tactic is common to direct you to a site which appears to offer a bargain but which doesn't and which may never have done. You may go to the site because of a very low price on an item you do not want and may then buy something else.

I buy more from AD than anywhere else and shall continue to do so. In their support they often have stuff in stock which isn't even on their site. Good fortune to AD and all their staff and long may they prosper. I love em.