Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maggot riddle

Default Re: Maggot riddle

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I never cease to amaze myself Kev. I blame age and a dislike of maggots.
    I should have said, Mike, that the give-em-a -quick-riddle method I described depends on you having a riddle with a flat base a good bit bigger than the bait box, so you can slap the open box against it without losing the contents.

Worth doing though - riddle off the **** they came in/have been sitting in for a couple of days and replace with a sprinkle of turmeric. (Should appeal to the gourmet in you). The maggots go a nice bronze colour, smell nice, are de-greased, and roach like the taste, as far as we can tell. Don't ask me how you get it off your fingers though. That's a different thread. Don't use the expensive little bottles from Sainsburys - you can get a big bag cheaply at any Asian food shop.

That sounds right up my street Kev. I will have a go tomorrow as I have a few pints festering in the fridge bought somewhat optimistically a week ago. I hope to venture forth a la blackadder on Wednesday.

Use a bowl that the riddle will sit on, (I bought a Ringers bowl for £8), riddle to your heart’s content and then transfer from bowl to your bait box. Life is too short, I cannot afford an errant maggot.

I do riddle GB, as I find it makes a nicer particle break up, CBA to do Maggots, as I usually coat them in some glug anyways.

Interesting point about Turmeric though....

I do riddle maggots with a bait box sized Seymo riddle. I don't do it often though, it's only necessary to remove the odd turning or dead maggot. I do this for no other reason than to allow the bait to keep longer. I've found that leaving dead maggots in with live only reduces the longevity of the rest.

I don't riddle to remove maize, sawdust, bran, etc. It's a waste of time and effort to use a riddle for that. I have an old sieve that's a far more effective tool for that job. Again, changing the medium that live maggots are kept in is about keeping live maggots as fresh as possible and alive for as long as possible.

Neither chore has anything whatsoever to do with improving the effectiveness of the bait. I doubt that the fish give a stuff.

I’m going to make myself look a right idiot here... but why are the holes so big in a maggot riddle ?
    I use a kitchen sieve all the dust/maize flour falls through and the maggots are still in the sieve.
    With big holes doesn’t the maggots and **** just fall through ?

Some riddles are used for sifting maggots from casters.

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I’m going to make myself look a right idiot here... but why are the holes so big in a maggot riddle ?
    I use a kitchen sieve all the dust/maize flour falls through and the maggots are still in the sieve.
    With big holes doesn’t the maggots and **** just fall through ?
    Riddles are for separating dead maggots and casters from live maggots. Live maggots wriggle through the relatively big holes leaving the inert casters and deads behind.

If you want to remove a medium like maize meal, bran, or (fine) sawdust, stick to a sieve.

As above sounds like you bought the wrong riddle. If you want to remove just the sawdust or maze you need a pinky riddle a maggot riddle is for removing casters.
    Preston Groundbait, Maggots & Pinkie Riddles - 3mm, 4mm & 6mm *NEW FOR 2020* | eBay
    Last edited by trotter2; 09-12-2019 at 23:08.

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    As above sounds like you bought the wrong riddle. If you want to remove just the sawdust or maze you need a pinky riddle a maggot riddle is for removing casters.
    Preston Groundbait, Maggots & Pinkie Riddles - 3mm, 4mm & 6mm *NEW FOR 2020* | eBay

My ancient Sensas riddle is 4mm(ish). It's fine for taking off deads and casters, useless for separating maggots from bran, maize meal, sawdust, etc. Though the numbers suggest otherwise, all of those Preston riddles look finer, much closer to a sieve mesh. The snag is that they cost £19.99. You can get quite a few kitchen sieves, of varying gauges, for that much. I wonder where they could be bought without the fishing tackle mark up?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast