Maggot riddle

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wonder where they could be bought without the fishing tackle mark up?

There are some interesting looking sieves and riddles made for the gardening market. Some cracking looking kit aimed squarely at Bonsai enthusiasts. Couldn't see anything looking particularly like the Preston ones, but I'm sure they could be found if you happen on the key words to search for.

Reaction score
I sieve the sawdust with a sieve,then place small quantities on my bucket sized riddle,as maggot dont like light,so if too many maggots sit on the riddle it slows the process,also i like to sieve and change my maize meal every four days or so,as the maggots own poo taints the bait....

Richox12

Reaction score
Blimey. I didn't realise that simply riddling maggots was so difficult ! I have several large round metal riddles with different mesh sizes - joker, squatt, pinkie, maggot, 1/4" for worms, meat.liquidised bread etc etc. All fit onto the same large round washing up bowls. I wouldn't fish with maggot/caster without one.

I even still have my rather large homemade 'Trent' riddle when you needed to clean a gallon at a time.

seth49

Reaction score
A year or two I bought a couple of round plastic riddles from Aldi’s gardening stuff, they fit perfectly in a small bucket and are just right for maggots.

I just use an old flour sieve to riddle the maize of maggots to clean them, And then put them in krill powder before fishing, some Garam masala powder spices them up as well.

Reaction score
A year or two I bought a couple of round plastic riddles from Aldi’s gardening stuff, they fit perfectly in a small bucket and are just right for maggots.

I just use an old flour sieve to riddle the maize of maggots to clean them, And then put them in krill powder before fishing, some Garam masala powder spices them up as well.

I think any cleaning degreases maggots,flavouring is often a confidence thing,i used to use carp flavourings on maggot all the time and results were interesting,certain flavours attracted certain species,that said,fish have to want to feed in the first place,i have not found a flavour that could initiate a feeding response...

seth49

Reaction score
Here’s one to try, whilst fishing maggots on the pole last winter at dead depth or a few inches of the bottom, I dipped the maggots once hooked in some hemp oil.

I noticed that the float was moving very slightly, so I lifted and hooked a good roach, went on to catch several more the same, it was as if they were sucking the hemp oil of the maggots, so tiny were the movements of the float, must try that again if I can get out.

rayner

Reaction score
A selection of riddles all have there use, I have a rather large oblong one for doing large amounts of maggot, a maggot tub sized one and a round one that fits my groundbait bowl. Also a riddle that came from the Aldi for three quid, I think perhaps a garden riddle. Three riddles in one. 1/8" to 3/8" a quite large round one, I think probably for soil.
Riddles are invaluable for taking casters off, finishing groundbait mixes, cutting meat. They have loads of applications.

silvers

Reaction score
I turn all my own casters, so riddles are essential - also for riddling groundbait mixed by hand.

rather than using gardening ones for fishing - I found that my large sensas groundbait riddle and bucket was really great for riddling the grit and soil from a cubic metre bag full of gravel that had been down in the garden for twenty years (before re-laying after a garden project).

I riddle maggots to remove dead ones - as they stink if you burst a dead one when fishing

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
There are three tackle shops I can get maggots from, and each has a different supplier. Bait from one comes pretty clean and doesn't smell much, but is on the small side and less fresh than others. You can use it if you like without riddling it. The other sources give you a bigger maggot with a bigger feed spot and will last longer if you need to keep them, But they absolutely honk, and really do need riddling and some fresh whatever you like to keep them in. I'm in no way squeamish about bait, but there's no way I'd spend a day with my hands in these, as bought.

mikench

Reaction score
I have added a sieve to my riddling kit and will endeavour to try to remember to do it.