Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maggot riddle

Default Maggot riddle

I managed for years without one but succumbed about a year ago and bought a Sensas 42cm one. It’s a standard riddle and looks like every other manufacturer’ s model. It’s supposed to be the right size for maggots but the little b******* can still get stuck in the mesh.

I find it cumbersome and awkward to return the riddled maggots into a maggot box. Maybe it would be ok if I was riddling pints of maggots but why don’t they have a part of the circle in a funnel shape? Am I doing something wrong or is there a smaller and better design. I’ve looked but haven’t seen one.

I end up with maggots on the garage floor. It’s definitely not an indispensable piece of kit imo.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Maggot riddle

I've got a couple buried in the shed somewhere. More trouble than they are worth in my experience. I'm sure those that use a lot more maggot than me and maybe turn their own casters will disagree. Back in the days when a pint of maggot was 3/4 of a pint of useable bait and a quarter fish bones and shoite it might have been worth having a riddle but I cannot remember the last time I riddled either maggot or groundbait. The fish dont seem to mind.

Blog Entries

Sensas do one for bait boxes but they're like rocking horse poo. I have the pinkie version which seem easier to find, no use for maggots of course but OK if you want to riddle the sawdust/maize off maggots. You might find square plastic bait box riddles for sale but they're a bit of a pain assuming they're all the same. Half the holes are blocked with molding flash.

I don't riddle maggots often but find it's best to take my time with them, Put a handfull in and go boil the kettle another handful make a cuppa etc you get the odd one that gets stuck just poke em through

Or you can do the When is a fly not a fly? When it's a Blue Bottle, that's a riddle that always works

I've been using one of those plastic pots for pond plants for a while.
    I use it to riddle out the dust the maggots come with.
    I then put a Tescos wheat biscuit aka weetabix whole in with the maggots, and change it every week or so if they haven't been used....works a treat, absorbs any moisture they produce and keeps them sweet smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I've got a couple buried in the shed somewhere. More trouble than they are worth in my experience. I'm sure those that use a lot more maggot than me and maybe turn their own casters will disagree. Back in the days when a pint of maggot was 3/4 of a pint of useable bait and a quarter fish bones and shoite it might have been worth having a riddle but I cannot remember the last time I riddled either maggot or groundbait. The fish dont seem to mind.
    Yes when you think about the foul smelling mud and gunge on the bottom which the fish suck in and blow out they cannot be that fussy about dietry delicacies.

I am very wary about that. Maggots are death defying as it is so I don’t want them them having weetabix.

Don't worry about that, Mike, they don't eat them

Never heard of anglers having riddling problems before. I've got several riddles here, but only do two things. To change the medium in some maggots so you can freshen your bait up - maize flour, sawdust - hold the riddle above the tub of maggots, quickly turn the tub over and slap it against the riddle ( which is now underneath) and hold it there, give it a vigorous shake., then flip tub and riddle back. 99.9% of the maggots will still be in the tub. Do it outside, over your compost heap or whatever, where it won't matter if the odd maggot gets through or where the dust falls. I find if you don't do this, your bait smells bad and you're putting your hand into rancid dust/flour all day. The second use is for turning casters, but I think that's not the issue here, so I won't go into that. I like the Weetabix bit - anything beats neglecting your bait.
    Last edited by nottskev; 09-12-2019 at 17:30.

I never cease to amaze myself Kev. I blame age and a dislike of maggots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast