Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rod Material Evolution......

I think the best development from cane to solid glass to carbon was in beach casters. None of the fore mentioned materials could compare, they just didn’t suit the job needed i.e. to cast big weights a long way. The only time I enjoyed a solid glass rod was in a boat rod. I hated those 6ft solid sticks that were the norm back then and had a 8ft solid glass rod that had a bit of give in it and I would be fishing just outside of the anglers sitting in the boat with me with there 6ft rods.
    Nothing wrong with carbon for coarse fishing, all the rods I use at the moment are carbon and the lightness of them was a boon but I still like the look and feel of a good cane rod. A good cane rod is not heavy as such; a cork handle is nice and I always find all synthetic rods a bit too springy. I have never found one that replicates the softer springyness of split cane. Maybe the very expensive ones do which I have never tried. It does not makle much difference really but when I spring a cane rod back from 90 degrees; I find the way it springs back more pleasing than a carbon rod.
    Last edited by markg; 15-12-2019 at 06:12.

Don’t mind using a cane rod occasionally, have it on a rest the weight doesn’t matter, I have a Edgar Sealy rover ten foot split cane rod, which I sometimes use with a pin close in, don’t feel handicapped with it at all, I’ve had carp to eight pounds on it no problem, and I seem to hook more bites with it as well.

Certainly better than the first fibre glass rod I bought, that was rubbish, but rods today are far better than than when I started fishing back in the early sixties , you can get a perfectly usable rod now from thirty pounds upwards, I’ve greys, Shimano, maver and Korum rods all of which are a pleasure to use, don’t think I’ve paid more than a hundred and thirty for a new rod, and most quite a bit cheaper.

Having used rods built from every type of material, Greenheart through to modern carbons I don’t expect to see any future development in my lifetime.
    May be with green issues we will see a swing back to natural materials and cane will make a come back.

I know this is not the most pole-infested forum, and some won't be bothered one way or the other, but it's worth saying that the coming of carbon for rods transformed the world of pole fishing. Glass wasn't viable beyond 6 or 7 m. The first carbon pole I owned was hard work at 10m. The poles I use these days, both the light one and the margin pole, are light enough at that length to comfortably rest on your knee or strike with one hand on them, and neither belongs to the latest generations. So that's one branch of fishing that wasn't just improved, it was made possible by carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I know this is not the most pole-infested forum, and some won't be bothered one way or the other, but it's worth saying that the coming of carbon for rods transformed the world of pole fishing. Glass wasn't viable beyond 6 or 7 m. The first carbon pole I owned was hard work at 10m. The poles I use these days, both the light one and the margin pole, are light enough at that length to comfortably rest on your knee or strike with one hand on them, and neither belongs to the latest generations. So that's one branch of fishing that wasn't just improved, it was made possible by carbon.
    I rather think that rods are little different. You don't see many cane (coarse) rods in excess of 11', even float rods. You don't see too many glass rods in excess of 13'. Whilst I accept that many choose not to use them, 15'+ carbon rods are perfectly useable. The prospect of a 15' glass or cane rod fills me with horror. Though the rise of short commercial fishery rods has skewed things, rods have tended to get longer as materials improved and the use of those materials develops over time.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    You don't see too many glass rods in excess of 13'.
    I did have a pricey 14ft Bruce and Walker CTM which looking back when compared to modern rods was not very good.
    Agree with the pole comments carbon made long pole fishing so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    I did have a pricey 14ft Bruce and Walker CTM which looking back when compared to modern rods was not very good.
    I know they existed, that's why I said "you don't see too many" rather than you don't see any.

Yes, of course, we owe the long rods we use these days to carbon. I have a few myself, including a Tricast 17' from the turn of the century. I was thinking more of the way carbon opened up pole fishing well beyond 10m - a whole new ball game impossible before - whereas longer rods added - usefully and enjoyably - to styles we were already using; a choice rather than a necessity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Having used rods built from every type of material, Greenheart through to modern carbons I don’t expect to see any future development in my lifetime.
    May be with green issues we will see a swing back to natural materials and cane will make a come back.
    When I mentioned ‘Carrot fibre’ earlier I was not joking, it was being discussed in its early stages by engineers back in 2007 and it was not an April fools joke either, here’s an article of news referring to this on the Herald newspaper:

Why your next fishing rod could be made of carrots | HeraldScotland

It certainly doesn’t appear to have progressed a lot although I have read elsewhere about a couple of fly rods that were made out of carrot fibre.

Does anyone have any more info regards Carrot fibre fishing rods? or was it (as I suspect) not such a breakthrough as it was first thought?

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 15-12-2019 at 14:32.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Home | Sustainable Materials | CelluComp
    Looks like the firm is still going, at a quick look didn't see any mention of fishing rods, but they were involved with them around 2007.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast