Rod Material Evolution......

hague01

Reaction score
yes serious money! Meant to say you had a great range of rods Sam!
Is is just me or does daiwa seem to add 8/10% to its rod retail prices each year and get away with it?

hague01

Reaction score
I also felt I ought to add that when it comes to balance etc as we were discussing, the load at the business end makes all the difference too.I have proved even to my incompetent mind that the true weight of the bomb/ feeder is the real indicator of the performance or at least the feel of the rod. There, have i started another discussion or argument? Alec

Reaction score
I paid £166 for my 12ft titan 2000 new,at the end of their production,a fantastic buy and one i will never regret,i have a Normark Bob James twin tip barbel rod,another really good bit of kit,likewise some of the Hardy Maksman rods,Harrisons,cant fault the ones i bought,but i spent a lot of money on garbage over the years.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Well, I have learned something, never thought of adding weight to a rod. Never worried overly about balance but I think it is worth doing. I also reckon Seth’s point about it being where the handle meets the rod and not where the hand is-is probably right. I imagine you want a bit of forward weight but not too much especially in fly rods but I think that might apply in most cases. So, I might look out for some lead strips and have a experiment indoors one day.

John Keane

Reaction score
I think this balance malarkey is a bit of a red herring and is only an issue on certain styles of fishing where the rod needs to be constantly held like fly, lure or trotting. Chucking out a waggler or feeder and then putting the rod into a rest is neither here nor there.

Reaction score
Im afraid when the rod is balanced,everything improves,well what matters anyway,casting and striking,it makes the rod respond better...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think this balance malarkey is a bit of a red herring and is only an issue on certain styles of fishing where the rod needs to be constantly held like fly, lure or trotting. Chucking out a waggler or feeder and then putting the rod into a rest is neither here nor there.

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely, I mostly lay on float fishing with the rod in a rest but, it must help a bit when playing a fish and even if that doesn't make much difference I still think it is worth doing, a case of why not really, it does not sound like something difficult to do.

John Keane

Reaction score
Im afraid when the rod is balanced,everything improves,well what matters anyway,casting and striking,it makes the rod respond better...

Maybe if the rod was massively heavier than the reel then that might hold true but with modern rods that most of us use like 12-13ft workhorses you’re splitting hairs about the point of balance.

steve2

Reaction score
I do have a couple of carp rods that have never felt right and felt top heavy. So much so that they were only used once and now collect dust in the shed. I think they are 12ft Fox Warriors.

Reaction score
Well i believe acolytes are unbalanced and bounce,if you(metaphoric you)dont notice that fair enough,i do and dont like it,the Cadence rods are better,though heavier,i know what i prefer...

Reaction score
I do have a couple of carp rods that have never felt right and felt top heavy. So much so that they were only used once and now collect dust in the shed. I think they are 12ft Fox Warriors.

And top heavy is the sort of balance im on about,jt creates the rod slightly unmanageable at best,totally useless at worst.

edsurf

Reaction score
unbalanced ? i use one for trotting with a youngs BJ and its nicely balanced, still a lot of *******s talked about rods and most of it is down to personal choice .

Reaction score
Yes it is,until someone puts a good rod in your hand you would never ever know,ive yet to show an angler the 12ft titan 2000 without a wow coming from them,you might be the first Ed...

John Keane

Reaction score
Yes it is,until someone puts a good rod in your hand you would never ever know,ive yet to show an angler the 12ft titan 2000 without a wow coming from them,you might be the first Ed...

Come and have a waggle of my Harrison 12ft Match with the spliced tip. Could be a revelation?

hague01

Reaction score
Just on the titan 2000, I have read many times that it was and remains the bees knees and was discontinued as the blanks got too expensive. Anyone thought about a cooperative to have some more made to that specc if possible.Alec
ps. nothing is impossible!

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's a first! Whilst it's all a matter of taste, I've never heard anyone describe an Acolyte as tip heavy before. I don't even consider the 17' model to be particularly tip heavy. In fact, it's easily the best balanced 17' rod I've ever encountered. I think I've got some reasonable rods to choose from. Acolytes are not my current favourites, except in lengths where viable alternatives are thin on the ground. However, those rods that I do consider to be better than Acolytes all cost considerably more, especially when inflation is taken into account.

Reaction score
Sorry Chris,the top heavy remark was intended as a general balance thing,not necessarily a pop at acolytes,there is a slight feeling on the rod being out of sync to me when wobbled,not much,and most are worse imv...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The only 17' rod I ever liked the feel of was the Carbotec No. 1 17ft, a truly fantastic rod with a price tag of £595 in 2003. I passed on that one as I still don't really need float rods over 13ft despite owning one or two longer than that length and it did seem a lot of money.

The best Normarks came from the Diamuru factory (Japan) which I believe made the Carbotecs, and I vaguely remember the factory switched to aircraft equipment (may be completely untrue!). I still hanker after a Carbotec No. 1. The Normark 2000 Titans and Avengers are two of the best fish playing rods I've ever owned but the Carbotecs knock them into a cocked hat. That said the Daiwa Team Daiwa X has magical properties in this regard.