Reels and the cost your prepared to pay.

rich66

Reaction score
I started off with a fladen and it was cack. Shakespeares cheaper ones are ok but don’t last. I now use a Daiwa ninja and a shimano Baitrunner both were about £50 new so that’s about my limit, £75 I suppose at a stretch. But money is an object. Just had to remortgage to pay off OH debts I didn’t know about.
I try to buy the best I can genuinely afford.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I bought 4 TDX reels 10 years ago, 2 3012 and 2 2508 which cost me nearly a grand. As I usually fish 2 matches and often 2-3 other days per week they have had a lot of use. Well worth the money in my opinion.
The one that seized was sent to Daiwa via my local shop where I originally bought them. The £105 repair bill included postage both ways and VAT.
The reel is like new, in fact I’m using it as I speak...

"Using it as I speak"
Mustn't be catching much then :wh

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I bought 4 TDX reels 10 years ago, 2 3012 and 2 2508 which cost me nearly a grand. As I usually fish 2 matches and often 2-3 other days per week they have had a lot of use. Well worth the money in my opinion.
The one that seized was sent to Daiwa via my local shop where I originally bought them. The £105 repair bill included postage both ways and VAT.
The reel is like new, in fact I’m using it as I speak...

Precisely my point. If your reels are getting that much hammer then,in the long run, it pays to buy the very best you can afford. I dont fish anything like as often so my mid range f/s reels are fine....I've no desire or need to own anything better.

Pins are a different matter but even then I've only ever paid full (ish) price for one which was a present from Mrs S on a significant birthday. The rest I've picked up second hand for less than half rrp...often very much less than that.

Reaction score
Ok. Hands up, I'm a tackle tart....

There, I said it....

No Simon,i didnt mean it that way,if you really like them and you can afford it,thats great,i myself can definitely afford them,just dont think they are nearly five times as good as the ninja,that said if you dont like them its personal choice...

Reaction score
I have a bespoke made to measure centrepin for barbel fishing,which cost my family a pretty penny,i would have paid it myself but was beaten to it,i dont think that a reel could win me a match,or catch me a special fish,a rod possibly could,giving you more pleasure possibly too...

sam vimes

Reaction score
No Simon,i didnt mean it that way,if you really like them and you can afford it,thats great,i myself can definitely afford them,just dont think they are nearly five times as good as the ninja,that said if you dont like them its personal choice...

Paying five times the price will never get you five times the performance. It's a totally unrealistic expectation. Retail pricing has never worked, and will never work, this way. If you double the retail price and get a third greater performance, you are doing pretty damned well.

John Keane

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the pawn shops (Cash Generator and Cash Converters) as I’ve recently bagged two decent fixed spools, a Shimano Sedona and a Daiwa Ninja, for relative buttons.

Reaction score
Precisely my point. If your reels are getting that much hammer then,in the long run, it pays to buy the very best you can afford. I dont fish anything like as often so my mid range f/s reels are fine....I've no desire or need to own anything better.

Pins are a different matter but even then I've only ever paid full (ish) price for one which was a present from Mrs S on a significant birthday. The rest I've picked up second hand for less than half rrp...often very much less than that.

Sorry,but if you fish the feeder twice a week for a full day,or spend a full day trotting,or catching quality fish your reels are getting a lot more hammer as you put it than Simons are most of the time on the canal and i know he doesnt just fish there,i would be gutted if i owned a TDX and it gave out in that time,ive got Shimano aero match 3's that have caught 100's of pounds of fish in countless sessions and they are at least 25 years old and have never been back for repair,the only reason i dont use them now is the improvement in front drag reels,making them lighter,with fantasic drag systems...i hope my reels last at least ten years without issue,else i would consider them poor,even Mitchells monkey metal gears last at least that...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sorry,but if you fish the feeder twice a week for a full day,or spend a full day trotting,or catching quality fish your reels are getting a lot more hammer as you put it than Simons are most of the time on the canal and i know he doesnt just fish there,i would be gutted if i owned a TDX and it gave out in that time,ive got Shimano aero match 3's that have caught 100's of pounds of fish in countless sessions and they are at least 25 years old and have never been back for repair,the only reason i dont use them now is the improvement in front drag reels,making them lighter,with fantasic drag systems...i hope my reels last at least ten years without issue,else i would consider them poor,even Mitchells monkey metal gears last at least that...

I agree. I was merely making the distinction between the level of use some anglers put their reels through compared to people like (say) me who dont fish anywhere like as often. Whether this particular reel should have gone belly up I really dont know....but if I bought one and it didn't have an inherent fault I've no doubt it would see me off comfortably.

In fact I reckon what I've got now will see me off comfortably.

spenbeck

Reaction score
After Simon's post on the 28th November,where his Daiwa TDX reel seized for no apparent reason i thought i would ask this question,the TDX retails at well over £200,i have a couple of mates who have them,i just cant really warrant spending that on a reel,i can certainly afford them,just justifying that sum of money on something that you can buy a more than usable reel under £100,i am using Daiwa Ninjas at the moment and am certainly having no issues,now im certainly not having a pop at anyone who spends such sums,its only money and your only here once,but i just wondered how you fellas felt?

I have had a Ninja 4012 seize up on me. It cost £20 for the parts and I fixed it myself. It was the anti reverse bearings. They had rusted up! I must have got it wet and never dried it out?

Moving on to Cadence reels now. Great value for money and top quality - even better when they do the 2 for 1 offers!

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
.i hope my reels last at least ten years without issue,else i would consider them poor,even Mitchells monkey metal gears last at least that...

or forty years in some cases :)

silvers

Reaction score
Never seen those offers mate...

always on the facebook page Alan, you don't even need to be a facebook member to read them (discount codes to use on the web page).
for example there was a 2 for 1 offer on the CS7 reel from 4th to 11 december

Reaction score
always on the facebook page Alan, you don't even need to be a facebook member to read them (discount codes to use on the web page).
for example there was a 2 for 1 offer on the CS7 reel from 4th to 11 december

I looked on f/book on the 'offer' in question,but unless i read it wrong it was a competition to get one free if you win....i would have been in like Flynn,just to try a couple,i shall keep my eyes open though now you've said...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve had some cracking bargains on Facebook, the medium is definitely putting a dent in Ebay business judging by the £1 selling commissions Ebay constantly offer me.

My best deal being six brand new Shimano Rarenium reels all less than half the rrp at the time they were still available.

silvers

Reaction score
I looked on f/book on the 'offer' in question,but unless i read it wrong it was a competition to get one free if you win....i would have been in like Flynn,just to try a couple,i shall keep my eyes open though now you've said...
The headline was misleading, it was further down the article.

I get email notifications as well having purchased two rods from them. But I didn’t get one for this offer.
There were also 2 for 1 on reels at Black Friday time.

Last edited: