mikench

Reaction score
I must admit, probably to the consternation of a few, that I enjoy the banter in baitbox as much as the dedicated Angling threads and feel inclined to post about football, food, the weather, music etc . I still post on purely fishing subjects and regularly bore you all in the HDYGO thread.

Within the fishing sections what would members like to post about or comment on. Should we have dedicated forums( as suggested by Chrissh) for perch, roach and to retain Skip bream?

Should we have sections dedicated to specific waters and how they are fishing, including bait, tactics, known swims etc. I say this somewhat tongue in cheek as anglers, in my experience don't want to tell you their names let alone where to catch quality roach

Should we have a section on rigs, hooks rods etc. There certainly could be more Tackle reviews which would interest me. I will take a dose of my own medicine soon.

Should we have sections dedicated just to one technique? As Benny said we just need more posts on any subject no matter how trivial or how many times it's been covered. I'm a novice so do not have experience of fishing from around 1968 to 2015( a long time) but I am trying to make up for it by buying older gear just to try and compare. So far I like everything I've bought but generally nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

It's arguably our forum so we make it what it is and imo one finds out more about the poster by his non piscatorial ramblings than his fishing exploits. It's nearly 2020 which sounds like a Zager and Evans song so let's start thinking and posting.

Alan are you still stuffed?:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Post removed.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Some boards, like sea fishing, get hijacked by one poster. Scuba Chris is probably a really nice guy but I can’t remember the last time I went nocturnal shark fishing in the Mersey or had a Queen Triggerfish off Llandudno beach. Perhaps that board needs splitting into UK Sea Fishing and “Saltwater” fishing outside the UK?

peterjg

Reaction score
Mikench, re your post. You are definitely barking up the wrong tree - I am certainly not going to tell people "where to catch quality roach". And another thing - I've just realized that some people actually purposefully target other species - how strange is that!

hague01

Reaction score
food for thought but my pleasure in reading this site is normally gaining knowledge and if I am honest pulling a leg or two sometimes. Knowledge isn't restricted as to current baits/water/rods/catches.It is surely the earlier experience gained which results in the acquired current knowledge.Please keep it up. Alec

rich66

Reaction score
,i would love to pass on my knowledge,nobody wants to know,so it will pass with me sadly...
That’s such a shame.

I’m certainly glad of anyone who’s willing to pass on what they know. I’ve learnt a lot from these forums.

I wonder if there is a lot of activity on FM this time of year or whether I miss it because I use the Tapatalk app ?

theartist

Reaction score
Why pass on just knowledge when you can pass on passion, energy and enthusiasm, those three have got me far more fish than knowledge has. We could do with more posts that think outside the box

Getting back to Mikes ideas how about seperate River,Lake,Pond,Canal sections and do away with one of the general/coarse sections as those two always seem to have identical content?

mikench

Reaction score
It's livened up recently and Alan is feeling better; coincidence?:)

Where would the HDYGO thread go. It deserves to be a section on its own or it could be included in all four sections. It could and probably will remain where it is. Metroland is having a heatwave.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Also the HDYGO thread is brilliant but it has it's cons in that it moves so quick due to it's popularity and you can't have much of a chat related to any of the catch reports.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Personally, I think there are too many as it is, some hardly get used or looked at. To divide it into multi choices would just get too confusing. I try to make sure my titles indicate what the thread is about so people can determine whether it's something that interests them or not and post under the appropriate heading. I know if I look under coarse fishing say, I might be interested any of the subjects, float. lake river whatever, I don't really want to have to go searching under multi headings. Just my opinion mind you. Whatever pleases the majority...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Did you enjoy the Bracket interview ? I did
But only Neil took up the challenge

I would love to see someone interview Pete Crabtree Sam Vines Peter Jacobs Tigger The bad one MarkG

If I knew more about fishing I might give it a go

mikench

Reaction score
I would add that I'm happy with the format of the forum as it is and have no desire to change it. I put out the suggestion like groundbait and as we all know sometimes it produces nothing and then something special. Like many a forum more posters and regular posts are desirable.

silvers

Reaction score
Isn't this a lot like "what do you want from a fishing magazine?"

a lot of the articles I see when I (infrquently) buy a magazine are about giving you a recipe or pattern to follow (technique & bait) rather than teaching you how to work it out for yourself? ie. they ansswer "how?" rather than "why?"

Post basic techniques - all of my interest is in the why side and also the story telling - whether that is humorous or not I love a good story with human interest. The ups and downs of fishing - not just the endless success.

The other great thing about the level of debate on here on a few things (*eg. hook tying recently) is that it provokes thought - not just slavish following of fashion.

Another point is that there is never a single right answer to a problem in fishing. So being able to contribute from different perspectives is added value. I'm one of the few match anglers who post on here, but I learn from speci hunters and pleasure anglers alike. One of my favourite fishing books of all time was Carp Fever - because Kevin M wrote so enthusiastically about a completely different approach.

Keith M

Reaction score
This time of year I am always reminded of Deanos mince pie joke. Incredibly funny guy....I usually ended up crying with laughter reading about his Auntie Kathleen and his guided gudgeon trips. Brilliant.

I agree, it’s a shame he’s not still spreading his wit on FM he was a very humorous guy and always put a smile on our faces.

Keith

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Did you enjoy the Bracket interview ? I did
But only Neil took up the challenge

I would love to see someone interview Pete Crabtree Sam Vines Peter Jacobs Tigger The bad one MarkG

If I knew more about fishing I might give it a go

Thanks for the compliment Benny, but I am just a jack of all trades, master of none when it comes to fishing. I have dabbled in most of it some time or other but have acquired no specific knowledge and I have told most of it already on here anyway so, it would be repeating a lot of what people already know. Whereas the likes of Bracket and Neil have lots of experience especially in match fishing or chub fishing, met interesting anglers and so on. However, I really enjoyed your interview style posts and it was a shame more did not take it up but maybe they were a bit like me and thought the style wouldn’t suit their story or would not have enough to say. But the other ones you mentioned would be interesting interviews and I am sure there are plenty more on here who would make a good interview.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
We have a section on tackle reviews, Like John Keane said about having a separate sea fishing section. There have been 17 reviews by scuba chris in past few months, but not one reply, whereas reviews suitable for uk tackle etc get replies. I think the last review I posted was about a PI Inception seatbox,

steve2

Reaction score
There are already to many sections with little or no interest adding to them would not cure the problem of lack of interest in them. Looking at other fishing forums they all have the same problem, no interest, no updates so people stop looking. How can you change it I don't think there is a cure it's an age thing and none of us are getting any younger and forums like this one will one day come to an end.
What is the age of the regular posters, I would say 60's and older we see things differently to the new breed of anglers and they don't read forums like this one.