Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  136
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Markg, re your last post I am sure that you are right. Apart from the car engines producing heat the effect of radiation on the metal bodywork and greenhouse effect on the windows, when the doors are opened yet more heat escapes into the atmosphere which might otherwise have been absorbed.
    I wonder how much motorways heat up with all that friction as well.
    Most of these temperature rises are measured from about 1880, there were no cars, fridges, televisions, light bulbs, central etc then and 5 billion more of us switching them on every day and they number in the millions. The amount of heat being thrown out by them into the atmosphere every day must be considerable.

Jesus, some long replies on this thread. Life is too short (and getting shorter due to Global Warming and CO2 emissions). I’m firmly with “the propagandists” (isn’t labelling them propagandists just another form of propaganda from the naysayers).

I’m with Greta and Sir David right down the line!

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    Guys, my beef is with the propagandists as you well know, particularly their false C02 narrative. I am not against opinion per se, I just cannot accept claims made by people with a vested interest learned or otherwise.
    That aside, I'm passionate about the environment like most people, particularly with regards to sustainable green energy, but the current emphasis on wind, solar and wave is unreliable and expensive. Fusion may be the next big thing but you will have the greens to contend with in order to further develop it. It won't be easy. Even if it was It will be expensive.
    If I had another life time to live I would pursue a project I've been involved with which would (for a fact) produce enough renewable energy to last forever - carbon neutral - 100% sustainable. I'm taking about hydrogen production, locally produced and utilised at source from water - the so called Hydrogen economy!
    Years ago I designed a small scale device that produces hydrogen (H1+) split from tap water in a self sustaining environment. Unlike the dirigible of old, there is zero risk of explosion or toxic gasses to contend with. In fact the only thing that comes out of the exhaust is pure water that's infinitely recycled back into the system as it recombines with atmospheric oxygen. As an energy carrier hydrogen fuel cells can be retro fitted to vehicles or burned in modified engines, home heating, cooking or even scaled to industrial levels to melt steel and even tungsten. However as said; I would need another life time to proceed in it's further development or at the very least; a handsome grant to pay for a team of researchers as I plan to retire in 5 years. All I know at this moment in time, is that my desktop sized heater works for pennies. I may bequeath it.

Anyway.
    back on topic... Every time these virtue-signalling prats appear on Twitter or TV whining about all the animals killed, they deserve a slap in the face with a burned koala. James Delingpole's take on the largely 'preventable' bush fires ravishing Australia: Delingpole: Environmentalists Made Australia's Bush Fires Worse

Happy new year to all on FM.

purleease is that the level of our debate now ! Click bait right wing trolls ?

Its been common knowledge for 40 years that , in some areas regular burns are part of the natural cycle.
    Kids looking for kicks seem to have started quite a lot of these fires.

You cannot look at one incident and deduce climate change or infer its not there, like Trump saying well it snowed last week so climate change cant be right.

As far as I can tell the only ones denying climate change are the vested interests of oil and the right who have hijacked the issue to garner votes among the older generation and for clickbait.

If 95 percent of peer reviewed research is telling us the changes are real and accelerating who would you believe - science or a Delingpole troll who posts pictures of the black and white minstrels in order to bolster his viewing figures.
    Last edited by bennygesserit; 04-01-2020 at 17:15. Reason: took out the funny bits

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    He may be amusing if you share his politics. He’s also a perfect example of how politics tries to undermine science and bamboozle the public, and no antidote to propaganda.
    Do you not believe that there are political aims behind some of those espousing climate action? The following was part of a statement released during the Madrid Climate Conference, signed by Greta Thumburg and two other climate activists, Luisa Neubaumer and Angela Valenzuela:

…the climate crisis is not just about the environment, it is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have caused and fuelled it. We need to dismantle them all….":https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...-et-al-2019-11

Quote Originally Posted by lureed View Post
    Do you not believe that there are political aims behind some of those espousing climate action? The following was part of a statement released during the Madrid Climate Conference, signed by Greta Thumburg and two other climate activists, Luisa Neubaumer and Angela Valenzuela:

…the climate crisis is not just about the environment, it is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have caused and fuelled it. We need to dismantle them all….":Why We Strike Again by Greta Thunberg, Luisa Neubauer and Angela Valenzuela - Project Syndicate
    great name !

However Greta is , a little , off the point , she isnt part of the vast scientific community that is telling us that Climate Change is real and is accelerating

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    great name !

However Greta is , a little , off the point , she isnt part of the vast scientific community that is telling us that Climate Change is real and is accelerating
    I don't think people trust scientists. The problem with science is it has to absolutely prove it's hypothesis and predictions without any doubt. Einstein had to prove gravity bends light before everyone believed him. They will also doubt global warming, not as a fact but their analysis of it. Throw in fear propaganda, self interest and their denial of anything that might suggest they may have not have it all right and you will get a lot of doubters.
    Last edited by markg; 05-01-2020 at 10:47.

Yes, both sides of the argument have their own scientists and it is hard for people to know who or what to believe. Scientists don't in general work for free and have to be backed by someone. It is not surprising that people do not trust them. To many scientists sound like Stanley Unwin. Much of Greta's appeal is that most people can understand what she is concerned about and her reaction to what she sees as a very serious situation.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

After reading all these posts I think the one thing we all agree on is not to agree about where global warming comes from.
    The only thing we do appear agree on is that population is out of control. Without it being controlled through wars, famine or disease the future of this planet is bleak.

The one thing we do know for certain is that in the future this planet will die with or without our help so enjoy it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lureed View Post
    Do you not believe that there are political aims behind some of those espousing climate action?
    Of course there are. Leaving aside for a moment the issue of how of how science is done and by whom, all sides in the debate can be termed political. Campaigning for public health goals, such as a sustainable living environment is political; campaigning to keep the world a profitable place for oil industries etc at whatever risk to the public is political.

Think about an analogous situation in the history of tobacco and public health. As medical science amassed evidence of the role of tobacco in a range of sub-lethal and lethal diseases, the tobacco industry responded, over decades, with massive investment in "science" designed to endlessly insist the case against them had not been sufficiently proven, maintain doubt in the public's mind, hold regulation at bay, and tranquilise the guilt and fear that threatened their customer base and hampered recruiting new young smokers.

Politics is the process where competing demands for power are fought out and decided. Money talks and it's not hard to see where the big money lies.

Smoking is a really good example Kev. I have lost count of those (including my Grandad) that died of smoking related illness. I think the Marlborough man ended up suing the company (if I remember correctly) and BAT is still a major company and probably in a few pension funds as well.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast