Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most of us need a car to go fishing, when I pack up driving I will pack up fishing. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone on public transport with fishing gear.

It shouldn't stop anyone fishing Steve, I gave up my car through redundancy, something had to go and it was the car. I just got inventive, very fined down gear that packs into one bag, found places to fish within walking distance of bus and train stops. I may have been lucky with some of that but I am sure most could find places. Some of it is free fishing that amazingly no one fishes, all to myself( free fishing is never advertised!) and with a bus pass my fishing costs virtually nothing and I quite enjoy the public transport journeys; no stress and no parking to worry about. Internet maps and travel information sites sorts it out pretty well.
I do miss the car sometimes though, its not as convenient and there are the odd occasions public transport lets me down but all in all, I still enjoy my fishing.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I only know of one day ticket fishery near me where I could get a bus to any where else would need 2 or 3 changes plus a taxi ride. All the places I fished years ago are no longer on bus routes those that are have waiting lists only filled by dead mans shoes..
So public transport would need a big upgrade to serve the general public, it would also need to by cheap and reliable.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Remember the old London trolley buses that run off electricity from wires, they worked very well. I cant remember why they scrapped them, maybe they were ahead of their time and should come back. I grew up in London and we got around OK on them, driving a car around London is a nightmare even back then, it's worse now.
Maybe you could hook your car on something on motorways to charge you up as you went along or fed off something in the ground along motorways to charge the car, works with Scaletrix! Or maybe you pull into a service station and someone just swaps your electric pack for a fully charged one. Thinking too much aloud maybe but you never know what they will invent, I am just daring to imagine and I think electric motoring will be very different to what it is today in the future, I don't think it will fail.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I only know of one day ticket fishery near me where I could get a bus to any where else would need 2 or 3 changes plus a taxi ride. All the places I fished years ago are no longer on bus routes those that are have waiting lists only filled by dead mans shoes..
So public transport would need a big upgrade to serve the general public, it would also need to by cheap and reliable.

I appreciate that, a lot depends on where you live and the quality of the transport and i wouldn't want to have change all the time either. But I found about 10 places, river canal and commercials/day tickets. The river and canal stretches are 30 min rides and the buses run every hour; I dont know what the fares are but I am sure it would not be much different if I added up the cost of running a car these days. But I had too search it all out, I never knew they existed before I got rid of the car, I found them through word of mouth and started asking questions, looking at ordinance survey maps etc. It took time, I am just trying to say to anyone, have a good look first before they give up fishing, it may be there, they just do not know about it because they never considered it, same as me until needs must.

One example, a canal has a club sign on it "no fishing etc" so I walked along it one day and it did not say where the club stretch ended. I got hold of one of their cards and found out it where it ended, about the 5th fence. Above that it did not say so I fished it, have been for years and the farmer just ignores me. Only ever seen one other angler on it from memory and he was an EE. No one knows its free or the farmer is not bothered, he's not going to tell anyone is he and it's a long way off the main road so, everyone assumes it's all club water. The bus stops right by it and I just walk through the club stretch, about 15/20 mins. Its not great fishing but I have about a mile of canal all to myself apart from the odd dog walker or hiker. I am only saying this just to demonstrate you don't know whats there sometimes until you really look hard.

People just miss this stuff as it's not designated and never on the internet and never will be and that's why they are empty, I think there is possibly a lot more of it around but you have to look hard and find it.

Last edited: