Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  136
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishface1 View Post
    And you have to remember that very nearly half the people in this country are below average intelligence.....
    Are you referring to the head half or the feet half of the people in this country? Sorry, silly joke, I'll shut up .....

Quote Originally Posted by fishface1 View Post
    And you have to remember that very nearly half the people in this country are below average intelligence.....
    That’ll be the Brexiteers then?

That just proves that you can’t trust statistics!

And we all know which lot were nearly half.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

As much as many refuse to allow it, I'm utterly cynical about it all and remain somewhere in the middle. I firmly believe that the climate is changing, just as it always has. However, I'm less convinced that human activity plays such a massive part. There's a good chance that human activity has accelerated an underlying cycle, but that's about all.

As far as I'm concerned, the extremists on both sides are largely driven by self interest. There is huge money riding on either extreme. Far too much vested interest for me to ever take it all at face value. Some of the money is so confused as to which way things might go that it's hedgeing its bets and backing both sides.
    I agree Sam, follow the money.

I believe it’s a cycle and we may just be speeding up the inevitable.
    I’m far more concerned about the overuse of pesticides,herbicides artificial fertilisers, Plastic waste etc

Ultimately man will outgrow the planet and disappear up its own rectum. It's just a matter of when.

But the planet will go on albeit perhaps radically changed.

The solid Earth contains a huge quantity of carbon, far more than is present in the atmosphere or oceans. Some of this carbon is slowly released from the rocks in the form of carbon dioxide, through vents at volcanoes and hot springs. Volcanic emissions are a small but important part of the global carbon cycle. Published reviews of the scientific literature by Mörner and Etiope (2002) and Kerrick (2001) report a range of emission of 65 to 319 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Counter claims that volcanoes, especially submarine volcanoes, produce vastly greater amounts of CO2 than these estimates are not supported by any papers published by the scientists who study the subject.
    The burning of fossil fuels and changes in land use results in the emission into the atmosphere of approximately 34 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide per year worldwide, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). The fossil fuels emissions numbers are about 100 times bigger than even the maximum estimated volcanic CO2 fluxes. Our understanding of volcanic discharges would have to be shown to be very mistaken before volcanic CO2 discharges could be considered anything but a bit player in contributing to the recent changes observed in the concentration of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere.

Line another one up and i will knock it down armed only with an open mind and some Kung Fu search engine skillz

Quote Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
    The solid Earth contains a huge quantity of carbon, far more than is present in the atmosphere or oceans. Some of this carbon is slowly released from the rocks in the form of carbon dioxide, through vents at volcanoes and hot springs. Volcanic emissions are a small but important part of the global carbon cycle. Published reviews of the scientific literature by Mörner and Etiope (2002) and Kerrick (2001) report a range of emission of 65 to 319 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Counter claims that volcanoes, especially submarine volcanoes, produce vastly greater amounts of CO2 than these estimates are not supported by any papers published by the scientists who study the subject.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]The burning of fossil fuels and changes in land use results in the emission into the atmosphere of approximately 34 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide per year worldwide, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). The fossil fuels emissions numbers are about 100 times bigger than even the maximum estimated volcanic CO2 fluxes. Our understanding of volcanic discharges would have to be shown to be very mistaken before volcanic CO2 discharges could be considered anything but a bit player in contributing to the recent changes observed in the concentration of
    I read that the earth had 14% emissions when the Thames used to freeze over, man-made emissions are always part of the earth, wood burning , charcoal burning metal smelting etc. We have always had the burning of fossils fuels. So, if we reach zero emissions by 2050 or whenever it is, will the Thames freeze over again or worse? Do we know what we are doing? I am not saying we shouldn't reduce it if we can but is this a bit stupid?
    Last edited by markg; 27-12-2019 at 21:01.

I think that when you put up a joke post you are supposed to use emoticons.

Probably best to not get too technical.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast