Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  136
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 124
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,260

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I think 'Climate Change' has become a quasi-religion. Its adherents use and misuse facts to further their claims, those who refute them are treated as heretics ('deniers'), and they even have their own prophet now. Like all religions it is misused by those in power to control the populace, hence the number of councils declaring 'climate emergencies' when their power to actually make the slightest difference is negligible. In the world as a whole billions have no interest in changing the planet for the better, only in striving to improve their quality of life to some sort of 'ideal' based on the Western life style, and the price paid for this is over exploitation of the earth's resources.

    Interestingly, most of the things listed by Markg above, peasoup smog etc. as a thing of the past, are very much a reality in China and India
    This debate has certainly divided opinion on this forum, but I think as anglers we are perhaps more aware than most of the issues of waste and pollution in our world and more specifically in its waterways. I am not sure that there is much evidence of concerns about climate change being used to control the populace as really despite all the recent debate, very little is being actually done by governments to reduce emisions. There is nothing prophetic about Greta as what she has said has been said before by others. Her initial strike was aimed at the government of her own country. The world media decided to run with it and she has subsequently had a great deal of publicity. The reality is that she is a young woman who has expressed her opinion. I do not think for one minute she sees herself as a prophet and all she is guilty of is capturing the imagination of her age group and those that are concerned about global warming. I totally agree with your last sentence.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    on the move
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    So we can all change our ways. How many of us will walk or cycle next time they go fishing instead of loading up the car. Not fly off on holiday or work, stop eating meat, stop lighting their wood burning stoves, not turn on the lights. It's easy to say we can all change our ways but most of us never will.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,092

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert1 View Post
    Her initial strike was aimed at the government of her own country. The world media decided to run with it and she has subsequently had a great deal of publicity. The reality is that she is a young woman who has expressed her opinion. I do not think for one minute she sees herself as a prophet and all she is guilty of is capturing the imagination of her age group and those that are concerned about global warming.
    She has and what we have to realize these young people are tomorrows captains of industry, teachers, politicians and consumers. They will have been steeped in all this from a very young age. they wont tolerate it and these are the people that will be in power and pulling the strings.They will shape a different world, they won't be indifferent to pollution in the same way ours and past generations have been.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In God's County: Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,688
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    The sheer volume of science would suggest that man does indeed have an influence (both good and bad) on the climate.

    That a young Swedish girl has highlighted on an international scale the inherent problems is, to my mind, a very loud wake up call to many across the planet.

    It would appear that to a segment of the population she is not the most popular young lady around, but then no harbinger of peril is rarely popular with everyone.

    It is however truly sad that the likes of the POTUS are so voiciferously opposed, but then anything that might impinge on the US economy is ever popular with those of the 'male, pale and stale' contingent.

    As someone said, above, it is one thing to say we will change our ways, but in reality, how many actually will?

    Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

    Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

    Patrick F. McManus






  5. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,640

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    So we can all change our ways. How many of us will walk or cycle next time they go fishing instead of loading up the car. Not fly off on holiday or work, stop eating meat, stop lighting their wood burning stoves, not turn on the lights. It's easy to say we can all change our ways but most of us never will.

    I have and do

  6. #76

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    AND into the melting pot goes a world that is massively overpopulated.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tipton by the cut ..
    Posts
    1,270

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    Have to say i have not seen much evidence plenty of supossed ideas i have seen ice core evidence that sort of says the opposite .

    Also the prolonged solar minmum is having an effect to some extent .
    But if you look back to 911 when planes stopped flying for a few days the tempreture actually rose .,

    Cheers PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,092

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    The sheer volume of science would suggest that man does indeed have an influence (both good and bad) on the climate.

    That a young Swedish girl has highlighted on an international scale the inherent problems is, to my mind, a very loud wake up call to many across the planet.

    It would appear that to a segment of the population she is not the most popular young lady around, but then no harbinger of peril is rarely popular with everyone.

    It is however truly sad that the likes of the POTUS are so voiciferously opposed, but then anything that might impinge on the US economy is ever popular with those of the 'male, pale and stale' contingent.

    As someone said, above, it is one thing to say we will change our ways, but in reality, how many actually will?
    He would never get voted in with the next generations of voters or any politicians like him, politicians will have to be right on the ball with the environment to get anywhere. The same will go for manufactures if they want to sell there goods. Whether we agree with her or like her this young girl is helping to shape the minds of young people and many others like her.
    I am sure pollution on the scale we have allowed it will be history one day.
    Last edited by markg; 02-01-2020 at 13:33.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    4,092

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    And are we ignoring how much has changed already just a bit in this country at least. I never thought coal energy would go. I never thought electric cars would be possible and the petrol companies would close it down if they were, maybe they will cure the pollution in inner cities eventually. The sale of plastic carrier bags have diminished and paper ones are coming back. Recycling and separation of waste. It is all in its infancy but it is going to keep going. I think one day other sources of clean energy will get invented like cold fusion or something. With a bit of luck someone will invent foolproof leak proof slurry tanks. I don’t know why that has not happened already.
    Of course there is a long way to go and it has to happen in every country but I think the next generations are going to be on it in a big way.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    aquitaine, france
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

    On the subject...'Stark' by Ben Elton (published 1989) is interesting
    In every angler there is madness
    In every angler there is sadness

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •