Global warming? Oh no not again!!!

laguna

Reaction score
I would still like to see an 'environmental' category here on FM, but anyway 'General Fishing' is where I think this fits best. Especially it being that someone else's view is determined to convince us all that the end is nigh, and that all life on planet earth will cease to exist.... about 11 0'clock to the hour next week or the week after or thereabouts? Greta will know.

You might have to think about this one:

"Al Gore's been frozen out of the debate lately but he still talks to plants"!

YouTube

John Keane

Reaction score
Not even going to watch that bunkum, I’ve heard all the cycle theories about ice ages and all the deja vu-ists and the simple fact is that, in all those past scenarios, there weren’t billions of cows, cars, Chinese & Yanks all spewing out greenhouse gases and an area of rain forest the size of Wales disappearing every millisecond (gross exaggeration, I know but why should the naysayers have the monopoly on lying)

David Attenborough is one of my heroes and I nominate this thread for the FM Christmas Turkey!

mikench

Reaction score
I despair about the yanks and their isolationist and simplistic view of the world. Many don't believe in the theory of evolution even just the book of genesis. Throw into the mix an idiot of a President and 50% of the US population don't believe what is staring them in the face. They are an odd lot and some are as evangelical and extreme as the worst of the Taliban .

Santa has been here so I must be crackers as well. Merry Christmas.

bullet

Reaction score
I try to keep positive about global warming.....after all, it could be getting colder.:D
Merry Christmas to all:w

steve2

Reaction score
I'll leave this one till after Christmas, just going to just burn the turkey and Christmas pudding and add some flatulence to global warming.

Merry Christmas

stillwater blue

Reaction score
:eek:mg::eek:mg:

97% percent of climate scientists agree that the Earth's climate is warming due to man. I can believe them or some random fella that put a video up on youtube.

Lewisb4hunt

Reaction score
I am also very sceptical about the global warming threat. To be of the viewpoint "everyone and loads of scientists say it's true so it must be" is an easy excuse to avoid doing your own research.
I have a few burning questions which fuel my scepticism...
Why do we only hear one side of the argument in media?
Why is the history of climate fluctuating ALL the time not mentioned?
Why are we made to feel like the culprits of something way out of our control?
Why is Co2 the main concern when it is a natural element of life and one volcano eruption creates way more Co2 than humans have ever created?
IMO it's all about causing fear, hysteria and guilt which makes us easier to tax and control. And the cherry on the top is an autistic 15 year old lecturing us whilst she flies around the world causing real pollution.
I'm not denying climate change because of course the climate changes. What I think should be our main priority is clearing all the **** in our oceans. That is a real threat to wildlife.

john step

Reaction score
I tend to want answers to the above like you do.

However in my own experience the weather at times of the year has definitely changed. Those that remember the "great storm" of 87 will recall that there was surprise that the leaves were still on the trees in October which exacerbated the damage to them.
That is now the norm going into November.
The water lilies on my fishery have not died down fully yet.
You can catch carp any time of the year. That was unheard of.

Is that a cycle or climate change. There are those on both sides with vested interest.

If climate change, the root cause will be to many humans. That ain't going to change is it. Unless of course our plastic and pollution causes a drop in fertility and we go into decline. That or a big bomb.

The planet will go on and recover. The universe doesn't care if we exist or not. What I do know is that no one really knows the future and what twists and turns things will take.

Happy Christmas.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I am also very sceptical about the global warming threat. To be of the viewpoint everyone and loads of scientists say it's true so it must be" is an easy excuse to avoid doing your own research

If I'm ill I go to a doctor, an expert in medicine, I don't look on youtube or google for the answers to my question, after all that's what experts are for. It's not an easy excuse it's an understanding that people know more than me.

John Keane

Reaction score
I am also very sceptical about the global warming threat. To be of the viewpoint "everyone and loads of scientists say it's true so it must be" is an easy excuse to avoid doing your own research.
I have a few burning questions which fuel my scepticism...
Why do we only hear one side of the argument in media?
Why is the history of climate fluctuating ALL the time not mentioned?
Why are we made to feel like the culprits of something way out of our control?
Why is Co2 the main concern when it is a natural element of life and one volcano eruption creates way more Co2 than humans have ever created?
IMO it's all about causing fear, hysteria and guilt which makes us easier to tax and control. And the cherry on the top is an autistic 15 year old lecturing us whilst she flies around the world causing real pollution.
I'm not denying climate change because of course the climate changes. What I think should be our main priority is clearing all the **** in our oceans. That is a real threat to wildlife.

Cheap shot at Greta Thunberg but what about David Attenborough’s views?

We are f***ing up the world at an ever increasing rate and when there’s no orang utans, polar bears tigers or penguins left we can shake our heads sadly and buy a new iPhone to lament their loss on Facebook!

Lewisb4hunt

Reaction score
Cheap shot at Greta Thunberg but what about David Attenborough’s views?

We are f***ing up the world at an ever increasing rate and when there’s no orang utans, polar bears tigers or penguins left we can shake our heads sadly and buy a new iPhone to lament their loss on Facebook!
I get what you are saying. It's not really a cheap shot, just an observation :)
As much as I love David Attenborough's documentaries, it doesn't mean I trust him 100%. Let's face it, people who tend to spend a lot of time around the royal family don't have the greatest track record. Don't you find it strange how all the big celebrities seem to have the same views on things?
Maybe I am paranoid and just need to get out fishing more ;) but there are too many holes in the argument and I can't help but see an agenda that forces us to feel guilty for going to work in a 1 litre corsa and coming back to a warm home.

lambert1

Reaction score
I am als. And the cherry on the top is an autistic 15 year old lecturing us whilst she flies around the world causing real pollution.
I'm not denying climate change because of course the climate changes.

Whilst I accept that you may have an alternative opinion, your treatment of autism is offensive and your ignorance of Aspergers (the form of autism she has) does you very little credit. Incidently she either sails or goes by train. It has been well publicised.

nottskev

Reaction score
The first thing that comes up if you google Polar Bear Numbers is from the New Scientist, which has been enlightening the public on things it knows little about since I was a kid, possibly before.

It tells you that there are 19 main polar bear population groups. Of these, two have shown increasing numbers - thanks to added protection from hunting. Two show declines, attributed to loss of ice habitat. The rest have been less studied, or had been at the time of the article. Major conservation organisations predict further population decline related to loss of sea-ice. That article was out of date - 2007 - but does anyone think there's more sea-ice out there today?

If we shoot from the hip with cherry-picked examples taken from context, this thread will be unbearable.
(Sorry about the pun, but the stakes are high).

I've read and heard enough to need no further convincing. There are still people out there who are not yet convinced that smoking is bad for health and who think seat-belt law is a sinister infringement, but most have recognised reality and moved on.

mikench

Reaction score
Researchers say that the total world population at the end of the last Ice Age stood at between one and ten million people, after two million years of development. In the previous Ice Age, the human population collapsed to near extinction. Today there is a world population of 8 billion give or take the odd last ice age population. We pollute everything, eradicate species, devastate woodland, overfish the oceans, dump our rubbish everywhere including space and generally create co2 , méthane émissions and acid rain . It doesn't need David Attenborough to convince me we are f***** If we don't change our ways.

I listened to a silly holier than thou woman on the radio promoting veganism and bemoaning the pollution we cause. She didn't do Christmas to save the planet, no presents, trees wrapping paper or roast turkey. When asked what she was doing this Christmas she pompously proclaimed she was going skiing and flying to Switzerland.

Gulls are prospering like certain species of polar bear because it's a dam sight easier stealing chips and our waste junk food than hunting seals or fish. I'm glad I won't be here when the world as we know it doesn't exist and it won't.

John Keane

Reaction score
While you’ve got Trump with his head up his fat ar$e and the Chinese putting a new car on the road every 5 minutes, the rainforest beng destroyed for palm oil and places like the island of Midway vanishing under a mountain of plastic, there really is little hope for the world and a few rock stars planting trees and jetting off to the groundbreaking ceremonies in private jets is doing f**k all to remediate the disaster. Greta Thunberg raises awareness and she’s savaged by the iPhone jackals on “social media”. The world stinks and we made the smell!

peterjg

Reaction score
Basically us humans are disgusting creatures. We are knowingly wrecking this planet. Individually there is nothing massive that we can do to make a difference but as a group (be it family, country, nation, continent) we can make a difference! Let's recycle, drive smaller cars, drive less, fly less, stop concreting over our gardens, plant a tree, waste less, use less plastic, waste less energy, etc, etc - the list is endless, it's still not too late!

Sorry, I'll step off the soapbox.......