Christmas presents

steve2

Reaction score
Did you do well with any fishing related items?
I got one totally unexpected surprise a book that I last read in school over 50 years ago. A first edition of Catch a Big Fish in near perfect condition apart from a bit musty, well it is over 50 years old. Now has pride and place on my book self along side my others.

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Not exactly a present but I did treat myself to one of the line spoolers Mike recommended as the two I already have are not great. Fortunately my wife has forgotten I already have two and that gets me out of the tedious response to why do you need another? It's a man thing you would not understand any more than I understand how you manage to find anything in your handbag:wh

rich66

Reaction score
I got a few bits, some cage feeders, session packs of 15mm pellets and leger stops. And a dollop of cash that’s as my kids say “you can buy some obscure bit of fishing tackle you want dad”.
Which this year is probably some cold weather clothing, I’m getting to that age where I sit shivering after not too long... jeans and a jumper/old coat no longer keeps me warm ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thankfully my family understand that I really don't need anything in the fishing line at all, and that saves them wasting money ;)

I did get the usual sock drawer replacements, new slippers and a very nice cashmere sweater as well as the new Rick Stein book, Secret France, oh and a nice new balloon whisk . . . . Nearly forgot, also some nice new leather gloves from Norway . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position as Peter Jacobs, I don't get fishing related items. In a similar vein I don't buy my wife white goods.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Not exactly a present but I did treat myself to one of the line spoolers Mike recommended as the two I already have are not great. Fortunately my wife has forgotten I already have two and that gets me out of the tedious response to why do you need another? It's a man thing you would not understand any more than I understand how you manage to find anything in your handbag:wh

If things go to plan,Mike may not need spool winders, could be stonfos and elastic instead :wh

Aknib

Reaction score
Other than a text donation to PDSA I didn't give any presents and didn't receive any which rests well with me.

I did however treat myself to a near mint Mitchell Match 440A shortly before Christmas, I'm delighted with it and intend to give it its first run out in the next coupe of days.

I do seem to choose well when it comes to myself :laugh:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I did however treat myself to a near mint Mitchell Match 440A shortly before Christmas, I'm delighted with it and intend to give it its first run out in the next coupe of days.

What happened to your previous doorstop/paperweight?;):p

Aknib

Reaction score
What happened to your previous doorstop/paperweight?;):p

Lovely bit of kit, always wanted one back in the day but never could. Might have a short faff getting the 'dab' timing right on the cast but suspect i'll soon sort it.

I'm struggling to think of the last time I used a fixed spool reel and I'm quite surprised, given what's on the market today, that it took a model that's over thirty years old to inspire me again :cool:

Much prefer that retro, oval body shape and it has that lovely Mitchell sound to it.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Lovely bit of kit, always wanted one back in the day but never could. Might have a short faff getting the 'dab' timing right on the cast but suspect i'll soon sort it.

I'm struggling to think of the last time I used a fixed spool reel and I'm quite surprised, given what's on the market today, that it took a model that's over thirty years old to inspire me again :cool:

Much prefer that retro, oval body shape and it has that lovely Mitchell sound to it.
I own a load of these and always worth greasing the knob on the lever arm through the hole in the baffle plate (under the spool) so that it works smoothly on the cam on the underside of the baffle plate.

mikench

Reaction score
I got a few guru hybrid feeders in a secret Santa and this from my son?

View attachment 8057

It's a beauty . I fancied a pin with an adjustable drag and a 1" wide spool. No line guard but I'll cope.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That looks dead posh Mike, what reel is it?

We don’t do presents, haven’t done for decades, I’ll treat her ladyship with a surprise gift or two at random times of year.

So a perfect excuse to treat myself and was in need of a new rod, haven’t bought one in months.:)

When it’s just small roach may as well make it fun and bought a browning jens koeschnick world champion feeder
Rod.

20% off with Bobco so almost a bargain too.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The reel is a J W Youngs BJ 4.5" x 1" model Y2080.

I hope to try it next time out. I think you'll like the Browning rod. I treated myself to a Silverlite Feeder from a true gent on this forum in October but have yet to use it or even go fishing.

Mind you next year is untouched as yet so room for hope. I should be out Tuesday and Thursday.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That’s some pressie, very nice.

If you ever feel that it would benefit from a lineguard, Garry Mills is the man for the job.

seth49

Reaction score
Nice reel that mike, I have at least four J W Young’s pins, there all good reels,like them a lot.