Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  53
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What was your first fish and where did you catch It ?

After failing to catch on limpets off the rocks on a Hastings beach I found a soft shelled crab and impaled the innards on a hook. I cast it into an outflow which was probably sewerage and caught a small dab...
    I took it back to my grannies house and she cooked it for me. Circa 1960..
    My first freshwater fish was a roach on bread from the bridge at the back of the supermarket where I still fish today..circa 1969..

I can't remember my first fish but it would almost certainly have been from the Thames with my Mum, Dad and my sister in the second half of the '50s. A lifetime of fishing, still just as enthusiastic!

Blog Entries

I know where it was, Radcot on the Thames but not a 100% sure what it was. Quite small and an awful lot of them caught on a tank aerial and bakelite pin.

About 1957
    Last edited by wetthrough; 02-01-2020 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    I know where it was, Radcot on the Thames but not a 100% sure what it was. Quite small and an awful lot of them caught on a tank aerial and bakelite pin.
    A tank aerial was my first rod with a black prince reel
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

my first fish was a daddy ruffe of a couple of ounces caught on a worm from westport lake in stoke and after 53 years of fishing since ive never caught another

Can’t remember the year but it would have been over 60years ago....a small roach out of a backwater on the Thames at Sandford on Thames.

We used to spend hours, as kids, catching bleak and having great fun....don’t look on bleak so kindly nowadays

A salmon parr caught on maggot from the Avon running through QE Gardens in Salisbury. All of 2oz,

But was followed that same day by a 1 1/2 lb grayling, and I was hooked!!!

I started fishing 1966 most probably a minnow on bread was the first fish I ever caught on a rod.

We used to go the bakers and buy yesterday’s stale bread for 1 penny for bait. and bag of yesterday’s cakes for 1 penny to eat. With a bottle watered down of orang squash mum would make us for the day

Maggots cost six pence when we could afford them

My first biggish fish was a roach caught at Hertford lock on the river lea on a rod made out of a tank aerial and black prince reel, homemade quill float
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

A Bleak from the river lea back in 1970 , using a 2 piece glass fibre spinning rod. Happy days.

For me that would be a gudgeon caught from the Trent in 1949. The tackle was a 10 or 12 foot garden cane, no reel, just silk line tied on the end with a goose quill float and a gilt crystal hook to cat gut and maggot as the bait. There would be four or five of us in a line and once you caught a fish you handed the gear onto the next kid and so on. Like a piscatoreal pass the parcel. I've been at it ever since. Pete
    Casternets

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast