Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What was your first fish and where did you catch It ?

This question will have been asked before... New members in a New Year may be interested. Always some lovely memories to be had when asking the question ; what was your first fish and where did you catch it.
    In every angler there is madness
    In every angler there is sadness

Default Re: What was your first fish and where did you catch It ?

I thought that I should add that mine was a small perch from Moat park Maidstone. My float was a modified wine cork with a twig through it; I can still remember that float bobbing about on the surface. About 1966 the year.
    In every angler there is madness
    In every angler there is sadness

Blog Entries

Mine was a small roach from the local common pond and while I dabbled with all species, as well as match fishing, the roach remains my favourite fish.
    It was caught on a single 'gentle' bait on a size 14's hook . . . . . showing my age

My first "big" fish was a Tench of all of 3 pounds (according to my Litte Samson scale) caught from the Longwater at Hampton Court a year or two later.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 02-01-2020 at 09:31.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

A stickleback caught with a net from a pond in Epsom, approx 1962.

First fish caught on a rod, can’t remember the species but it was on the Long water at Hampton court late sixties.

Apart from jacksharps (sticklebacks) mine was a lovely golden rudd of around 6oz caught on a rod made from a sapling branch, some gut, a plain white quill float, a 14 hook to nylon and bread for bait. Caught it in a pit in a wood near to the Bowaters paper plant in Ellesmere Port.

Blog Entries

Just to say that i cant really remember,probably op's namesake...on a hook that is.

First fish a roach from Raphael park Romford. First bigger fish a chub from the River Roding near Passingford Bridge. We use to guest/poach all of the river and nearby ponds back then.

Apart from the usual minnows, loach and bullheads caught in a small net, my first fish on a rod was a chub of about a pound trotting a worm down the river hodder, near the farm where I used to live, at the village of Bashall Eaves.

In fact I’ve lived all my seventy years within four miles of Clitheroe Lancashire.

A small roach at Foxton GUC. My brother taught me to fish on that stretch.
    I’d like to fish there again someday.

I posted this before on a similar thread some years ago - The first 'proper' fish that I remember vividly was a tench caught from a Colne valley pit in September 1952 (approximately a pound and a half). Apparently some other angler caught a somewhat larger carp that same month from a certain pool in Herefordshire and stole all the limelight..............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast