Travel float rod

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I've been taking a little LRF rod on holidays to europe. Its obviously fine for lure fishing but its limited for float fishing which I'd rather be doing.

Are there any light actioned rods 11ft plus that will break down to 4ft or less (I put the rod in a hard tube with golf clubs)

I only really ever fish harbours and rocks for small species and the occasional mullet if they are present.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

john step

Reaction score
Look up John Wilson Travel Avon rod. Has float top and quiver top. About £75
Also look up Shakespeare Agility travel float rod. £49.99 Angling Direct. (Ignore the reference to a 6lb test curve. Some idiot doesn't know this is a max line rating which is the system Shakespeare often use)

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
Do you mean something like THIS

I would highly recommend this rod, a pleasure with silvers and I've even had numerous Trent Barbel on it without any noticeable flat spots in the action.

I sold mine due to lack of use and regret it, I didn't realise they were still available and I might just bag myself another one whilst they are.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I would highly recommend this rod, a pleasure with silvers and I've even had numerous Trent Barbel on it without any noticeable flat spots in the action.

I sold mine due to lack of use and regret it, I didn't realise they were still available and I might just bag myself another one whilst they are.

Nice to see you back - going for the smallest tinca challenge again this year?

Aknib

Reaction score
Cheers Jerry...

I'm currently welding an oversized set of forceps together for the photo and then we're off! :D

bullet

Reaction score
The youngs trotter will certainly do the job , but it'll be heavy to hold.
I've got the standard 3 piece and thats heavy enough!

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a travel match rod for when things get back to normal and I can cycle to a few spots. The ones mentioned in this thread all seem to be out of stock.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a travel match rod for when things get back to normal and I can cycle to a few spots. The ones mentioned in this thread all seem to be out of stock.
Plenty of telescopic rods on google if you don't mind them. I have used a telescopic carp rod and found it OK. Fit a bike no problem I would imagine.

john step

Reaction score
Dave, I have a 12 foot carbon Shakespeare travel match rod. It breaks down into 6X 2 foot sections.
It is quite old but all in good condition. The only thing is that it has the old style sliding reel fittings.
Shakespeare state its rated for linesup to about 4lb bs. so its OK for lighter hooklengths.

I used it quite extensively on my travels which will not be repeated due to wife's health.
If you want it free of charge just PM me your details again.
I am not sure if I still have your Surname, address and post code.
All I would want is to know what you catch on it on HDYGO now and again.

Pete

Another Dave

Reaction score
Pete that's incredibly generous, thank you so much. Of course I would keep you updated via HDYGO. The only reason I haven't been seen there recently is a lack of fishing opportunities over the last year. Will send a PM.

Reaction score
I would be very careful buying a telescopic float rod,because of the obvious thin diameter of the tip they can be prone to breakage(had a Shimano do this,which Shimano refused to change),the rods i see with several short sections are far more promising,even if the action did have flat spots.....

Another Dave

Reaction score
Yes, I've had mixed experiences with telescopics. It seems there are some better american ones with sliding guides but these are expensive and not often available over here. They also seem to max out at around 8ft and I am after something longer for floatfishing, so the travel rod Pete has kindly offered me should be the tool for the job.