Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
    Blog Entries

Default A young angler...

On Sunday my wife,eldest son and I went for a walk along the river at Bedford,after walking about ten minutes I saw a lad fishing with his mum watching over him,this impressed me as not many mums would be prepared to stand out in January for a few hours jusy to wath their kids fish,anyway i said to the missus i was going to see how they were getting on,well he had caught nothing,not really a surprise,he was fishing 18" deep in 8' of water,using a rubber maggot with no feed,I suggested she bought a plummet(explaining roughly how to use it),bought half a pint of maggots,or a small sliced loaf,she then said it was just as well he hadnt caught anything as she had no idea how to unhook a fish,they did however have a disgorger which I showed the very interested young man how to use,as I left I said to him to keep at it because as he picks more up he will be more successful,which will bring more interest...

Default Re: A young angler...

I get the mums coming up to me quite a bit when fishing public waters, it's amazing how people approach you when you are fishing. At this time of year it's often best to tell them to concentrate on summer when even the crudest gear will get loads of bites. Come to think of it how many of us started fishing on cold dark winter days? Hope the lad doesn't get too disheartened when blanking this time of year as plenty of us will be too

Blog Entries

Too be honest Rob,he had a six foot spinning rod(didnt we all), he would have have cauht on maggot or bread,maybe not much,but something....

Blog Entries

Good on you to try to help whitty. Sounds like the seed is planted.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    Good on you to try to help whitty. Sounds like the seed is planted.
    Lets hope so.

Went to my local fisheries today which has just been taken over by a guy in his 30s.
    He was saying he is working with the local schools to start a kids fishing club this spring with tuition and he is also building a tackle shop and will hire tackle to get kids started
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Perhaps Whitty and I am not saying you did anything wrong, you should have given them the fishing magic website, then you may have been able to follow it up if he did so. We do not have enough young anglers on here which is a shame considering all the help we could give them, just a thought.

Probably best he didn't, Mark....might have put the young fellow off

Blog Entries

To be honest Mark i was trying to be helpful,friendly and not being too much of a nosey neighbour,which all that tact is far too much to think about,so our forum
    was the last thing on my mind,after we left them I had a thought,i have an old fibreglass Rex Hunt feeder rod,10-11ft long which i could have given him,organising it with his mum obviously,but I was long gone when this brainwave came in,I bought it more than ten years ago to floatfish for mullet on holiday,never been used since and would have done him a turn big style...
    Last edited by whitty; 08-01-2020 at 07:49.