Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default Light jig use continued

I was in the basement workshop looking at lure composites I recently made and it came to me certain lure characteristics that increase strike potential of which there are a million combinations. I would suggest considering the following as reasons for using certain lures by applying these characteristics.

1. lure contrast
    a. This includes color brightness such as fluorescent colors that stand out like a neon sign.
    b. Laminate color contrast such as a darker color on one surface/ bright color on the other; bright tail color/dark body
    c. Flash to include flakes in the plastic or on it's surface; spinning flashing blades (IE in-line)

2. shape and size combos that match the potential of a fish striking
    a. Sometimes less is better IE under a float; at other times increased body bulk plus length challenge a fish's territory regardless the size fish.
    b. certain lure profiles are programmed into a fish's DNA - depending on the fish in a specific water, keeping in mind that there are no guarantees of universal appeal.
    c. a fish's current aggressiveness that falls into a range from 1-5 determines what shapes and size fish will attack - IE pre-spawn fish in a shallow area and school fish are an aggressive #5.

3. lure action
    a. there are many that do better retrieved slowly with pauses; other do fine trolled at a medium speed but that have a bill-induced wobble (crankbaits).
    b. vibration-type picked up by sonic detection merits a close inspection of what a lure looks and acts like on various retrieves which matters more than we know. The waddle of a skirtless tube or my cone tails is a perfect example of a unique action that works most of the time. My 2-2.5" wacky grub-stick is another where tip & body twitch/quiver is another that I swear by.
    c. horizontal action vs vertical action are key considerations for choosing lure design and presentation. This coupled with lure speed in either direction determine a lure's success.
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 08-01-2020 at 20:35.

Default Re: Light jig use continued

It's interesting to read your views on the design of light jigs.

Can you give us a few examples of the designs that are most effective for attracting fish, perhaps with photos?

What are the most useful sizes and colours, and what species of fish are they used for? Your other posting shows photos of bass (don't know if they are small mouthed or large mouthed), which aren't native to the UK. Do the jigs you use also attract more common species such as pike, perch and chub
    Last edited by keora; 09-01-2020 at 08:40.

Excellent questions keora !
    Okay, here's what I've discovered by way of over 1000 outings on over 40 waters - lake and river and watching over a thousand fishing shows on TV over 50 years. Basically:
    1. fish have eyes that can see - even in the dark and can see color and color brightness
    NOTE: actual colors mean nothing to a fish whether white, black or any in the color spectrum. Color contrasts with a background - simple as that and emphasizes lure shape, size and action
    2. the lateral line running down a fish's flanks is similar to a blind person feeling for objects and being able to assess size, shape and speed (if passed over the skin).
    3. fish don't have an IQ as so many believe, insisting fish can ID prey species.
    4. fish are not vegetarian and were created to attack moving objects whether or not they be flesh & bone.
    5. the reasons fish attack lures are many as are the reasons they won't. Theoretically they include:
    a. protecting a spawn bed. In this case simply removing the trespassing object but not to to kill it (I've seen this first hand)
    b. feeding: The only time I can agree that's the reason is when many school fish are attacking school minnows in a frenzy or gulping live bait.

Gary Yammamoto's Kut Tail Worm is unique
    c. the object (lure) irritates a fish in some way and provokes it to attack, same as teasing a cat with a toy mouse on a string, In all cases object speed must match a fish's state of aggressiveness at that time and place. Finesse action lures are usually worked slowly; floating crankbaits and spinners - much faster. Live bait is a finesse action bait and is left in one place.
    d. many times fish are in ambush mode: an inactive state prone to attack in a second, especially when the attacker is napping in a weed bed. (note: most animals are sedate and inactive for most days and hours of their lives.)
    6. Just as an object's retrieve speed-matching is crucial, so are lure characteristics such as an object's action which is dependent on its shape and size.
    7. The above applies to all fish species - never one in particular, so you never can predict (on average) what kind of fish will bite.

I know the above is a lot to digest, but worth considering in order to make your lure choices very simple!
    The definition of the word lure: something that tempts or is used to tempt a person or animal to do something - in this case bite.

The hundreds of photos I've posted on many forums, including this one, are examples of lure characteristics that provoke fish to attack - objects that are much of the time unnatural in shape and action. Fish don't know unnatural from natural IMO and strike for the reasons given above. Lure action is key and something you should note while watching each in the water as a lure moves. Here are just a few provocative lure actions: flutter, waddle, slinky/ snakelike, darting, smashing into the bottom, ripping with pauses, twitching, gliding-whipping, clunky. None is always superior but at time some are more effective as tried by you to see which.

Color : find a few that do it for a particular lure and never have to worry. Simple. The jig heads I prefer are alway unpainted. I want nothing that distracts from the lure attached to my jig. There are bright/ flashy, subtle, laminated or spotted.
    Hook size or jig weight: always chose one that doesn't hurt a lure's action or desired speed of retrieve

Here we go with examples that suggest why fish attacked them:
    Crappie Magnet Grub used with 1/24, 1/16 oz ball head jigs:

Note its tapered shape and split tail. It quivers with small rod tip twitches and glides in between when line is taken in slowly.

It can be attached to a spinner blade - in this case a Beetle Spin design:

The flashing blade causes the lure to vibrate - especially the split tail and creates a major visual and sonic simulus.

This curl tail grub produces a tail wag and at the same time flash when attached to the Beetle Spin:

The spinning blade completely changes the action of the grub vs simply rigged on a jig head and retrieving it on a steady retrieve. Again neither are always superior and at times both work equally well. (Note: I poured the bait using clear plastics.)
    example of a blade & bait combo:

Gary Yamamoto's Kut Tail Worm moves like no other due to unique shape and plastic recipe used. It catched many species of fish when rigged on a light jig head:

Here I've attached the tail of the worm to a thicker grub body using a candle to melt the ends:

I need never to use another color combo. The action is a tail whip & glide using a slow retrieve. Even this green sunfish attacked it:

Last edited by spoonminnow; 09-01-2020 at 15:00.

To continue:

A stubby tail grub catches everything (in this case clear attached to a grub body):

You might want to ask yourself: why would a fish strike a clear colored lure? answer: BECAUSE IT CAN ! once it senses it.

Here's a thin spike tail that quivers even under a float:

Most colors will do but I prefer the ones above because they catch fish most of the time, but more important is tail quiver.

Here I attached a claw form a bass craw lure to a grub body. It also catches anything that swims:

Action: flap/quiver

Hair or feather jigs entice strikes due to a subtle tail flutter:

(the lure at the bottom was made using the three tails from a Joker Grub and attaching them to a grub body).
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 09-01-2020 at 15:01.

A large sucker attacked this

Just another example of how well small lures work for large fish and many fish species.

This design I found by accident when stirring hot plastic with a spoon. I took note of the thin plastic layer left after the spoon cooled off and figured: why not cut it into the shape seen and dip one side to thicken it for a jig hook. Here is the lure I call spoon minnow.

The thin tail flutters with the least amount of lure movement and catches everything that swims.

Another accidental discovery: a thin stick shape that I built up the body to thicken it with multiple dips in hot plastic:

The rig is wacky style (hooked in the middle using a light jig head.) The dual tip quiver on the drop catches fish galore !!
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 09-01-2020 at 15:10.

As you can see from the above, shape and size dictate lure action as does the material the lure is made from.
    Retrieve speed and type retrieve make the most of any lure action.
    Infinite lure shapes can catch fish. Color is a secondary consideration but may enhance a lure's appearance and motion.

I looked up the fish species in your country, All the lures shown will catch all of those species.

I vote that the most comprehensive answer given on here.