Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River rights

Default Re: River rights

I do not know if this relevant or not, I paddled down the Kent Stour once from Wye to just before Canturbury, lots of big private fishing signs on what looked like quite big estates which was no surprise but I came across a few places where they had chains across the river which I guess must have been to stop people like me paddling through, is this allowed? And if so, why cant some clubs do the same if they want to stop canoes, if it is allowed on the Stour, why not other rivers?
    Last edited by markg; 10-01-2020 at 08:41.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Going off topic for a moment, just watched your video Mark on that other forum, post it on here, very enjoyable and informative.
    Glad you enjoyed it; I relocated my cameraman last night, we retired at the same time and he did a lot of photography with me but he had to go back to work for a few year and the good news is that he has retired again and up for some video work. Video on a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    if it is allowed on the Stour, why not other rivers?
    I have no idea whether it's allowed or not. However, it might be a laugh on my local. Trying to secure the chain would be the initial challenge. Having it still be secure after the first flood would be the second. In the unlikely event of the chain seeing out the first flood, picking out the entangled trees and dead sheep would be the final challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I have no idea whether it's allowed or not. However, it might be a laugh on my local. Trying to secure the chain would be the initial challenge. Having it still be secure after the first flood would be the second. In the unlikely event of the chain seeing out the first flood, picking out the entangled trees and dead sheep would be the final challenge.
    Ha, I am sure your right but they were the sort of places where the servants would clear the dead sheep and branches. I cannot remember how the chains were fixed but I do remember they were quite substantial sometimes with a no fishing or a no trespassing sign hanging off them. I certainly got the message.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Keep your bankside vegetation under control,any intrusion that affects the movement of floodwater and they will charge you the earth to clear it...after they have done it,no permission required,on the river Ivel i know a guy who owns the house next to Pat Walker(Dick's wife),they own to mid-river,trespassing is possible/probable for those that wade,also all of these houses have had flood protection work done by the owners to prevent erosion involving many tons of stones and wire caging to hold them in place,it is very costly,the fella told me as he did his own(under advice).
    Cheers Whitty

I know I’ve got to get down there this year and repoint the brick work. There’s brick built sides that drop 7 foot or so before water level. Strangely the wall to my neighbours side is only 6 foot high

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12