Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Fish Movement in Winter

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    I believe these winter movements happen on every single water in the country and it's mainly man made obstructions that stop them being large scale events.

Every now and then though you get fish that buck the trend and you wonder why they are where they are
    I think there must be many different factors from river to river that determines it all so no two rivers are probably the same. My chub example for instance, I only know it on that river in the way it happens.

Just a note, bridges are good in winter, apparently the concrete warms up in the day and releases heat so the water temperature is very slightly higher but enough to make a difference fish. I would think any concrete structure is good to look for, not sure about concrete canal towpaths but do the fish hug them in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I think there must be many different factors from river to river that determines it all so no two rivers are probably the same. My chub example for instance, I only know it on that river in the way it happens.

Just a note, bridges are good in winter, apparently the concrete warms up in the day and releases heat so the water temperature is very slightly higher but enough to make a difference fish. I would think any concrete structure is good to look for, not sure about concrete canal towpaths but do the fish hug them in the winter?
    Probably not as the canals usually go pretty clear and the bottom near the towpath is often visible, another factor with winter fish movement on canals is comorants so features often hold the fish and this brings the bridges in to play for that too

Interesting thread this as it's something I was about to post myself, winter fish migrations in rivers, but not spawning migrations. Although some species appear to hang about in the same areas , just moving into deeper pools etc. others must travel some distance, but how far do they go? Do they leave the rest of the river near empty? Roach and dace seem obvious species - well, they seem to totally disappear from where I fish and I wonder how far up or downstream they travel, possibly miles and what attracts them in particular?
    Of course it's a bonanza if you know where they are and can fish there, but fishing other spots however attactive they look seems a waste of time.

Blog Entries

Barbel migrate miles,one particular fish was caught on the Royalty for years appeared on beat two at Throop,or the other way round and nobody really knows why it did the jaunt and it is a fair old way...

Quote Originally Posted by Molehill View Post
    Interesting thread this as it's something I was about to post myself, winter fish migrations in rivers, but not spawning migrations. Although some species appear to hang about in the same areas , just moving into deeper pools etc. others must travel some distance, but how far do they go? Do they leave the rest of the river near empty? Roach and dace seem obvious species - well, they seem to totally disappear from where I fish and I wonder how far up or downstream they travel, possibly miles and what attracts them in particular?
    Of course it's a bonanza if you know where they are and can fish there, but fishing other spots however attactive they look seems a waste of time.
    Not sure i would want it to happen but it would be interesting if a few fish were tagged every year and noted when and where caught along rivers just to answer your question.

Default Fish Movement in Winter

Not sure i would want it to happen but it would be interesting if a few fish were tagged every year and noted when and where caught along rivers just to answer your question.
    I believe it’s been done with pike. I’ll see if I can find the article

Not the articles I was thinking of but some may find it interesting.

https://pureportal.inbo.be/portal/fi...land_river.pdf

(PDF) Patterns of movement of adult northern pike (Esox lucius L.) in a regulated river
    Last edited by rich66; 14-01-2020 at 13:59.

It would and probably answer a lot of questions, be a good PHD project for someone as lots of work to try and understand the why and where of these movements, different species and different river systems.

May also change some of our fishing approaches, if I knew nearly every roach for 5 miles had migrated to XYZ stretch for the winter I wouldn't bother fishing (or buy another angling club ticket!) and same with other species. One would presume many shoal fish will go straight from winter quarters to spawning grounds in the spring/early summer and then spread back through a river system. Barbel seem to go miles to spawn and then back again.
    Lots of unanswered questions when ypou think about them - what makes fishing so fascinating - we shall never know it all!

Blog Entries

Been done Mark by Dr Stuart Clough & Dr Paul Gardner on the River Frome with dace. One fish went 6 miles up river every night, only to return to the same spot it started from in the morning.
    Molehill they, roach and dace, go to Preston Deeps mate on their winter holidays. Returning up river around late March early April. It's a fair sight to see as they run up the weir in their 1000s.

PS The weir is being taken out this year and the start date as decreed by the Ribble Trust is the 16th of March and will take a month to complete. So much for the consideration of the coarse fish migrations in the river. But hey they RT claim to not be game fish centric! Oh really!
    Last edited by The bad one; 15-01-2020 at 01:17.

Blog Entries

Barbel travel miles regardless of spawning,the biggest fish on the Ivel was caught at both ends of the stretch in a week once,probably only 2/3rds of a mile,but this is in late February...

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    Been done Mark by Dr Stuart Clough & Dr Paul Gardner on the River Frome with dace. One fish went 6 miles up river every night, only to return to the same spot it started from in the morning.
    Molehill they, roach and dace, go to Preston Deeps mate on their winter holidays. Returning up river around late March early April. It's a fair sight to see as they run up the weir in their 1000s.

PS The weir is being taken out this year and the start date as decreed by the Ribble Trust is the 16th of March and will take a month to complete. So much for the consideration of the coarse fish migrations in the river. But hey they RT claim to not be game fish centric! Oh really!
    Fascinating that, 6 miles, fish are surprising; I bet some very interesting findings would be made if more of this was done.
    I once saw a big shoal of roach on a small weir. This weir was only about 3ft high, it was actually an EA construction that they used to measure the flow of the water so not a weir as such. These roach looked like they were spawning to me although not sure or they could have been waiting for the level to rise so they could go over the weir, the water was clear and shallow as it run off the weir. Amazing sight but I knew this river well and roach were absent in this upper part, I rarely caught any and this was in the close season so they must have migrated up river to this spot .
    Last edited by markg; 15-01-2020 at 09:55.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast