Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Newark Needle Floats

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I thought someone had bought a job lot of reject pencils without any lead in them and thought of a way to offload them.
    Ah, so I wasn't the only one to make the "pencils" connection, then!

I also remember them and couldn't get on with them so they were ditched. They disappeared generally so that says a lot. I think my problem was you could never get any of the float rubbers to fit out of those little tubs of float rubbers I used to buy. I cannot remember exactly, maybe they were better than that but given there is a lot of choice of excellent floats for every job going, a new design would have to be something special and this was not one of them.
    Last edited by markg; 14-01-2020 at 08:36.

Blog Entries

Never needed any other floats than the Ultra floats that I had an endless supply of. George Stenton the owner of Ultra was the Brother in law of a very dear friend who recently died. Through my time spent with my friend I became a friend with George.
    A shame that George moved to Nuneaton, he was a very good angler who gave me some very good angling information.
    He mentored Klaus fix, another top match angler who was a very nice man.

I had one of those floats - I think it was free with Angler's Mail. It went in the float box, adding to the random bunch in there, but I can't recall that it ever came out. Some of the top anglers of the day were given samples to try - to raise the profile, I suppose. I can't remember the exact words of his feedback, but Kevin Ashurst was reported as saying something along these lines: I can't tell you how much I admire your floats, Walter, the time and thought that's gone into making them. But do you know, they're no bloody good.

I never bought the leger pins, but there are times when a nail-shaped weight is the thing to use, so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

If anyone is feeling nostalgic enough to actually part with cash for some......
    5 x Newark Needle stick floats for river fishing match | eBay
    Beyond reading about them and seeing the odd picture, I have no experience or recollection of them. They either passed me by completely or were from prior to '83ish.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

I would say they were mid to late 70's Chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12