Why didn’t I think of this before!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Look out for a Tom Pickering Matchwinner-S, they used a six inch section of that composite cork stuff. Much less chance of that compressing.

For Kev, and anyone else that might be remotely interested.
414368850.jpg

dicky123

Reaction score
IMG_0923.jpgIMG_0927.jpg I'm unsure if these pictures are coming through, but this handle is ideal, and the rod a dream to fish with. Anyone else had this Daiwa Model? Rich.

sam vimes

Reaction score
this handle is ideal, and the rod a dream to fish with. Anyone else had this Daiwa Model? Rich.

Not that model, but there are various different Daiwa models (Tournaments, Airity, Air AGS etc) that have featured the Tournament reel seat. I like them well enough when used with a fixed spool reel. I don't like them for centrepin use.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That seat is neat.

FM’s poet laureate :)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've got the Daiwa TDX with the Tournament seat; it's lovely rod and exceptional for playing fish - I've landed a 23lb carp on mine - but there's a gap with the longer reel foot of the Mitchell Matches that I'm still trying figure a sensible solution to overcome.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shorten the foot or would that be sacrilege Mark?

dicky123

Reaction score
S63 That sound like sense to me, however it's Marks baby. I have 3 old Michels, but mine are 300s. Was the Match reel a bit quicker speed wise? Can anyone remember the old 410s?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
S63 That sound like sense to me, however it's Marks baby. I have 3 old Michels, but mine are 300s. Was the Match reel a bit quicker speed wise? Can anyone remember the old 410s?

I just tried the one Match that has a foot I shortened and that's perfect. The rod I have is the TDX 13M. I don't want to modify my other Matches as it's not that easy. The original 300 was 3.5:1, the later 300A is 4.2:1, the 410 is 5:1, the Match is 5:1 and the other one the 840/840A/840 Match/810 is 6:1. Horrible reels all of them and if anyone has a 840 they don't want then let me know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
With the idea of a picture painting a thousand words, I like to hold rods fitted with centrepins like this.
414368848.jpg

The side of my thumb drops down to the rim of the reel to apply controlling pressure at the 12 o'clock position on the spool rim.

With that in mind, the next two pics may explain why I don't like the Tournament reel seat much when using a centrepin.
414369291.jpg

414369290.jpg

It's also worth noting that the gripping collar of the front part of the Tournament reel seat rotates over the reel foot as the reel seat is tightened and untightened. Some folks are quite concerned by this. There is the potential for damaging the reel foot which doesn't exist with most Fuji seats.

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Mark, snap, so we have identical rods, I'd have been gutted and you not like it, as it's always been my go-to light roach rod. I thought I needed something a little heavier for the Trent hence the Acolyte plus, but maybe I was wrong. Use 3.2 floatfish on mine Mark. As you say the action is brilliant, I've had the odd better tench and crucians on mine and it's coped well. As it was made a while ago I think it's still a very slim blank even compared to rods of today. Rich.

dicky123

Reaction score
With the idea of a picture painting a thousand words, I like to hold rods fitted with centrepins like this.
414368848.jpg

The side of my thumb drops down to the rim of the reel to apply controlling pressure at the 12 o'clock position on the spool rim.

With that in mind, the next two pics may explain why I don't like the Tournament reel seat much when using a centrepin.
414369291.jpg

414369290.jpg

It's also worth noting that the gripping collar of the front part of the Tournament reel seat rotates over the reel foot as the reel seat is tightened and untightened. Some folks are quite concerned by this. There is the potential for damaging the reel foot which doesn't exist with most Fuji seats.

Sam, I'm a little surprised as it's plastic against metal, not anything I'd be concerned about to be honest?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, I'm a little surprised as it's plastic against metal, not anything I'd be concerned about to be honest?

It isn't me that's particularly concerned. However, even plastic, or the graphite composite that I believe it is, is not particularly desirable on painted or anodized reel feet. Not too many reels are bare metal these days.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Chris will be refering to me. I've had problems with them scraping the finnish off reel feet, not good when you have expensive reels!
I used to wrap the front of the reel foot with PTFE tape to stop it from happening but finnished up getting shut of the rod. A good friend of mine got shut of his foe the same reason!
The reel holder doesn't come straight down and over the reel foot as with the fuji hooded type holders, it screws across the reel foot as it tightens up onto it. If your not worried about marking your reel feet then it's of no consequence.

laguna

Reaction score
I've never felt the need to cover any of my beautiful cork handles tbh. But if you felt the need, you could do a lot worse by wrapping it in handlebar silicone tape I imagine?

silvers

Reaction score
Looks like an improvement, if you don't mind having the reel tied up to one rod.

I tried a few things to adapt the skinny, bright, cold fitting on Carbonactive rods, the ones that look like this

but I couldn't get around them, and in the end went for a more drastic option

A better look, warm feel and easier to grip because thicker... what's not to like, unless you hate sliding bands, of course.

And if anyone is worried about the durability of the electrical tape on the first option, my main feeder rod has had the same (first) wrap like that for at least a dozen years as a “temporary” fix on the riverbank.