Why didn’t I think of this before!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With much talk in recent threads discussing reel handles, seats and those with dodgy digits, it suddenly dawned on me that I could make the grip so much more comfortable with minimum cost and effort required. A couple of quid spent on shrink wrap and the jobs a goodun. Yet to be tested in the field but it does feel more comfortable and on a very cold day could be a big improvement.

rich66

Reaction score
It looks really good but presumably you can’t remove the reel ?
I was just browsing the ‘net for ideas on my reel seat bands too

theartist

Reaction score
I think inner tubes get used a bit like that

I once taped up the bottom seat with electrical tape (the one closest to the butt) leaving the top one free to move as I found it was always the bottom that shifted with the weight of the reel usually whilst on the move. Never had a problem after that as I always hold the rod with fingers either side of the reel plus the reel could be removed anytime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It looks really good but presumably you can’t remove the reel ?
I was just browsing the ‘net for ideas on my reel seat bands too

It sort of semi permanent, to remove the reel the tube will need to be cut off, I’ll use a scalpel very carefully so as not to score the cork.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The only minor snag is that you'll need to cut off the shrink wrap to change/remove the reel.
If I felt the need, I might be looking for some neoprene sleeves. They'd have to be sized just right but should do a similar job and be reusable. The other thing I wondered about was racket handle grip tape/grap. Unlike years ago, when it was either terry towelling or glorified insulating tape, you can now get a multitude of types with a different feel and cushioning.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve thought about sleeves Chris and as you say the diameter is critical for a tight secure fit, with some rods like Drennan might that pose a problem having larger end sections?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I’ve thought about sleeves Chris and as you say the diameter is critical for a tight secure fit, with some rods like Drennan might that pose a problem having larger end sections?

Neoprene can often have enough elasticity for a butt flare (and diameter changes at the reel seat) to be of little consequence. The snag would be finding, repurposing, or making such neoprene sleeves.

nottskev

Reaction score
Looks like an improvement, if you don't mind having the reel tied up to one rod.

I tried a few things to adapt the skinny, bright, cold fitting on Carbonactive rods, the ones that look like this

but I couldn't get around them, and in the end went for a more drastic option

A better look, warm feel and easier to grip because thicker... what's not to like, unless you hate sliding bands, of course.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never felt that my hands are any colder using the hardy rods, even during freezing cold day s trotting. I don't think much of my skin is actually touching it. It feels no colder than graphite anyhow, if it did i'd just use em when times are warmer....with global warming coming they might even get to hot and give anglers first degree burns in summer!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Something I used when lure fishing, especially when using bigbait type lures (Buster, Salmo Slider etc) was my wife's rowing gloves. That's what my wife uses and when a rower says his/hands are ok it means the gloves are really good. Around here they are found in one sports shop only, they are thin and flexible but strong and have small silicon inserts distributed along the fingers and palm.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Glad to see you have IMO the best FS reel ever made!
I'm slightly surprised you thought £150 was a lot to spend on a Tournament rod?

It was a case of not wanting to spend that amount of money on this particular purchase Simon, I’m sure the rod is well worth the asking price and if anyone wants it, it’s still for sale!

Reaction score
Looks like an improvement, if you don't mind having the reel tied up to one rod.

I tried a few things to adapt the skinny, bright, cold fitting on Carbonactive rods, the ones that look like this

but I couldn't get around them, and in the end went for a more drastic option

A better look, warm feel and easier to grip because thicker... what's not to like, unless you hate sliding bands, of course.

Thats me,i cant think of any reason to go back to them,in fact the first thing i would do if i bought a rod with them on would be getting a screw fitting fitted...

rich66

Reaction score
Those black bands on the last pic look exactly like the ones on my old Mitchell feeder rod, that I’m thinking of replacing for a reel seat.
Inspired by the OP I’ve done a bodge to make them a better fit for my reel. Passed some black pvc tape underneath and around a couple of times at a quick glance it’s hardly noticeable. Might last me out the year if I’m lucky.
Bands give you more options for reel position but are a pain when they become loose for any number of reasons.

nottskev

Reaction score
Those black bands on the last pic look exactly like the ones on my old Mitchell feeder rod, that I’m thinking of replacing for a reel seat.
Inspired by the OP I’ve done a bodge to make them a better fit for my reel. Passed some black pvc tape underneath and around a couple of times at a quick glance it’s hardly noticeable. Might last me out the year if I’m lucky.
Bands give you more options for reel position but are a pain when they become loose for any number of reasons.

See how you get on. I think the "reels fall off" complaints are somewhat overstated. If sliding bands don't hold reels on ok, how did the Marks's, Ashurst's, Walker's - and everybody else up til recent times - ever get any fish out?

Cork handles will compress over the years, and the bands loosen slightly, but I've found a few wraps of tape will make up for 20 years of wear. Of course, if I'm after fish that put up a serious long fight, like barbel, I prefer a screw seat, but when I hook a roach on a match rod that threatens to pull my reel off, it will be time to phone Angling Times. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
See how you get on. I think the "reels fall off" complaints are somewhat overstated. If sliding bands don't hold reels on ok, how did the Marks's, Ashurst's, Walker's - and everybody else up til recent times - ever get any fish out?

I'm no big fan of sliding bands, but I've never had a reel fall off with Roberts/Daiwa/Fuji, plastic/graphite bands on a cork handle. I've never had an issue with cork compressing quite so much as it becoming an issue. The biggest problem I've encountered is the reel/rings twisting slightly round the handle when playing decent fish. If I buy or use an older rod with bands, it's invariably one with the Daiwa/Fuji graphite ones. I don't find them especially comfortable, but reels don't fall off. I'd quite like to try the rare Fuji lockable graphite rings. I've only ever seen them in pictures.

Metal bands and/or old fashioned Duplon are another kettle of fish entirely. If you want to live life really dangerously, have a soft Duplon handle coupled with metal bands. I really disliked that game and the rods I have in mind.

nottskev

Reaction score
Fair enough, Chris. I've found the cork on Daiwa Armlock handles gets compressed enough to make the bands loose, but only after a long, long time, and then a bit of tape tightens them up again. The worst metal bands I've ever known are to be found, annoyingly, on some of the nicest rods I've ever known - the early Shimano Diaflash models, and the Shimano Twinpower rods from the same period. These simply don't work, and your reel will literally fall off, and if you like the rods you've no choice but to change them or fit a screw seat. Changing them is a real pain, as the handles are of the "pointlessly sculpted" variety with various obstacles, from decorative metal rings to wider cork sections, to sliding them down the butt and off. The one saving grace is that the last of the Diaflash rods came with good, close-fitting plastic bands fitted. I did once have a cheap leger rod with metal bands on a sponge handle. Enough said.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've found the cork on Daiwa Armlock handles gets compressed enough to make the bands loose, but only after a long, long time

Look out for a Tom Pickering Matchwinner-S, they used a six inch section of that composite cork stuff. Much less chance of that compressing.

John Keane

Reaction score
The Harrison 12ft GTi Match with the spliced tip that I acquired recently has sliding rings which are, surprisingly, plastic. I’ve just put a thin black zip tie on tightly below the bottom ring and this keeps it from moving and the top one snugs down firmly onto the reel. The nub of the zip tie is positioned where my fingers won’t touch it and, as the reel rings are black, the overall effect is unobtrusive.