Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Why didn’t I think of this before!

With much talk in recent threads discussing reel handles, seats and those with dodgy digits, it suddenly dawned on me that I could make the grip so much more comfortable with minimum cost and effort required. A couple of quid spent on shrink wrap and the jobs a goodun. Yet to be tested in the field but it does feel more comfortable and on a very cold day could be a big improvement.

Default Why didn’t I think of this before!

It looks really good but presumably you can’t remove the reel ?
    I was just browsing the ‘net for ideas on my reel seat bands too

Default Re: Why didn’t I think of this before!

I think inner tubes get used a bit like that

I once taped up the bottom seat with electrical tape (the one closest to the butt) leaving the top one free to move as I found it was always the bottom that shifted with the weight of the reel usually whilst on the move. Never had a problem after that as I always hold the rod with fingers either side of the reel plus the reel could be removed anytime

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    It looks really good but presumably you can’t remove the reel ?
    I was just browsing the ‘net for ideas on my reel seat bands too
    It sort of semi permanent, to remove the reel the tube will need to be cut off, I’ll use a scalpel very carefully so as not to score the cork.

The only minor snag is that you'll need to cut off the shrink wrap to change/remove the reel.
    If I felt the need, I might be looking for some neoprene sleeves. They'd have to be sized just right but should do a similar job and be reusable. The other thing I wondered about was racket handle grip tape/grap. Unlike years ago, when it was either terry towelling or glorified insulating tape, you can now get a multitude of types with a different feel and cushioning.

I’ve thought about sleeves Chris and as you say the diameter is critical for a tight secure fit, with some rods like Drennan might that pose a problem having larger end sections?

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I’ve thought about sleeves Chris and as you say the diameter is critical for a tight secure fit, with some rods like Drennan might that pose a problem having larger end sections?
    Neoprene can often have enough elasticity for a butt flare (and diameter changes at the reel seat) to be of little consequence. The snag would be finding, repurposing, or making such neoprene sleeves.

Looks like an improvement, if you don't mind having the reel tied up to one rod.

I tried a few things to adapt the skinny, bright, cold fitting on Carbonactive rods, the ones that look like this

but I couldn't get around them, and in the end went for a more drastic option

A better look, warm feel and easier to grip because thicker... what's not to like, unless you hate sliding bands, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    The prime reason I've never bought an Asaki blank Carbonactive or a Hardy Marksman. I've never been sure why anyone thought metal reel seats were a good idea. They do look quite nice though.

I've never felt that my hands are any colder using the hardy rods, even during freezing cold day s trotting. I don't think much of my skin is actually touching it. It feels no colder than graphite anyhow, if it did i'd just use em when times are warmer....with global warming coming they might even get to hot and give anglers first degree burns in summer!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast