Maggot feeders

mikench

Reaction score
I have tried these on many occasions,and I have most versions, with mediocre success. In winter and with cold water the maggots often fail to leave the feeder. I haven't tried pinkies but would imagine they would be a nightmare.

Is there a tried and trusted method of use? Should I fill them sparingly?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I learnt a good tip recently, (maybe here), only half fill the feeder or use a bigger one to encourage the lazy buggers to vacate!

nottskev

Reaction score
I have tried these on many occasions,and I have most versions, with mediocre success. In winter and with cold water the maggots often fail to leave the feeder. I haven't tried pinkies but would imagine they would be a nightmare.

Is there a tried and trusted method of use? Should I fill them sparingly?

Don't forget you've got a John Roberts Feeder Hole Enlarger tool! (Somewhere) That helps get them out of block-ends more quickly.

Have you ever tried the smallest of the Window Feeders, Mike? You can fill with neat maggots or pinkies, and it only needs a little wipe of groundbait to hold them in.

chrissh

Reaction score
I use an inline middy shotgun feeder for winter maggot plug the end with ground bait
The trick is getting the ground bait mix just right not to dry or too wet

YouTube

mikench

Reaction score
Don't forget you've got a John Roberts Feeder Hole Enlarger tool!

Kev i have looked at this in my tacklebox and hadn't a clue what it was for or why I bought it doh. Now I remember and plan to go and prepare a couple immediately. Cheers Kev.