The river that’s a legal person

theartist

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be, but unlikely to happen anywhere over here as that river is very much Maori by the looks of the article.

Saying that though, I'm pushing for the rivers around Watford to be given chav protection status

nottskev

Reaction score
Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Whether environmental protections will be strengthened or weakened when we leave the EU has been questioned on here lately. There are some interesting clues about UK/EU attitudes in this article today about a Yorkshire town trying to get "Bathing" status for its river to prevent discharge of untreated sewage.

Ilkley pushes for bathing area status to protect river 'used as open sewer' | UK news | The Guardian

I am finding it very difficult to think of any incentive for the government to maintain, let alone increase environmental standards post brexit . . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
I am finding it very difficult to think of any incentive for the government to maintain, let alone increase environmental standards post brexit . . . .

The incentive could be to protect the environment - but I understand why you've discounted that!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The incentive could be to protect the environment - but I understand why you've discounted that!

I don’t understand your comment, or is it an accusation?
I am as concerned about the environment as anyone else but unless there is another benefit for the government then I still cannot see the current protections being upheld.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don’t understand your comment, or is it an accusation?
I am as concerned about the environment as anyone else but unless there is another benefit for the government then I still cannot see the current protections being upheld.

Sorry - no accusation there. I mean that our government is likely to prioritise business concerns above environmental ones, judging by the way EU standards have been ignored in the past when we were members. I said I could understand why you, or indeed others who have been following the story, might conclude that the intrinsic benefit of more stringent standards - eg quality of life for citizens, such as ones who fancy a swim or catching a fish - is unlikely to be an incentive. Just because you worked in the oil industry doesn't mean we're all out to get you :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Which was my point entirely inasmuch as the government have very different aims and objectives from leaving the EU.

Let’s be frank only by quitting can the uk alter all sorts of hard fought for protections for the environment, workers rights and many many more, and when they change it will only be in one direction and to one sectors benefits.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My only thought is that hopefully moving forward the environment will mean votes which may incentivize parties to compete for them and in turn governments to do more or not backslide. I am not holding my breath though.

nottskev

Reaction score
My only thought is that hopefully moving forward the environment will mean votes which may incentivize parties to compete for them and in turn governments to do more or not backslide. I am not holding my breath though.

I'd love to share your optimism, and this is nothing personal, but I've got the impression most people would vote for a couple of quid in their pockets, even at the risk of drowning, frying or being poisoned while holding on to the baubles and gewgaws they've bought with it.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I'd love to share your optimism, and this is nothing personal, but I've got the impression most people would vote for a couple of quid in their pockets, even at the risk of drowning, frying or being poisoned while holding on to the baubles and gewgaws they've bought with it.
They never voted for Corbyn's free internet, that would of been money saved in the pocket lol.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Somebody needs to come up with a way that saving the planet earns money, the government will jump on it then,

But to be honest if we cleaned up our air and waters, I would not be surprised if they introduced a clean air and water tax lol

lambert1

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be, but unlikely to happen anywhere over here as that river is very much Maori by the looks of the article.

Saying that though, I'm pushing for the rivers around Watford to be given chav protection status

Why stop at the rivers Rob!

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Free fishing on this river now then ? Dont have to have a licence to fish on a person :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score

This is true however, I think it's changing a bit. More and more people are becoming more educated about the environment and abject consumerism like its been for my shallow generation is becoming a bit of a no-no. Maybe I am too optimistic and do the people follow governments or do governments follow the people, hopefully the latter so maybe it will change in the future. Still not holding my breath though.

Last edited: