Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The river that’s a legal person

In New Zealand, the Whanganui River was recently granted the legal status of a person. Does that mean it will be better protected?

“I am the river, the river is me!”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...-legal-person/

Default Re: The river that’s a legal person

I'm sure it will be, but unlikely to happen anywhere over here as that river is very much Maori by the looks of the article.

Saying that though, I'm pushing for the rivers around Watford to be given chav protection status

Whether environmental protections will be strengthened or weakened when we leave the EU has been questioned on here lately. There are some interesting clues about UK/EU attitudes in this article today about a Yorkshire town trying to get "Bathing" status for its river to prevent discharge of untreated sewage.

Ilkley pushes for bathing area status to protect river 'used as open sewer' | UK news | The Guardian
    Last edited by nottskev; 20-01-2020 at 11:16.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Whether environmental protections will be strengthened or weakened when we leave the EU has been questioned on here lately. There are some interesting clues about UK/EU attitudes in this article today about a Yorkshire town trying to get "Bathing" status for its river to prevent discharge of untreated sewage.

Ilkley pushes for bathing area status to protect river 'used as open sewer' | UK news | The Guardian

I am finding it very difficult to think of any incentive for the government to maintain, let alone increase environmental standards post brexit . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    I am finding it very difficult to think of any incentive for the government to maintain, let alone increase environmental standards post brexit . . . .
    The incentive could be to protect the environment - but I understand why you've discounted that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    The incentive could be to protect the environment - but I understand why you've discounted that!
    I don’t understand your comment, or is it an accusation?
    I am as concerned about the environment as anyone else but unless there is another benefit for the government then I still cannot see the current protections being upheld.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    I don’t understand your comment, or is it an accusation?
    I am as concerned about the environment as anyone else but unless there is another benefit for the government then I still cannot see the current protections being upheld.
    Sorry - no accusation there. I mean that our government is likely to prioritise business concerns above environmental ones, judging by the way EU standards have been ignored in the past when we were members. I said I could understand why you, or indeed others who have been following the story, might conclude that the intrinsic benefit of more stringent standards - eg quality of life for citizens, such as ones who fancy a swim or catching a fish - is unlikely to be an incentive. Just because you worked in the oil industry doesn't mean we're all out to get you

Blog Entries

Which was my point entirely inasmuch as the government have very different aims and objectives from leaving the EU.

Let’s be frank only by quitting can the uk alter all sorts of hard fought for protections for the environment, workers rights and many many more, and when they change it will only be in one direction and to one sectors benefits.

Patrick F. McManus

My only thought is that hopefully moving forward the environment will mean votes which may incentivize parties to compete for them and in turn governments to do more or not backslide. I am not holding my breath though.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    My only thought is that hopefully moving forward the environment will mean votes which may incentivize parties to compete for them and in turn governments to do more or not backslide. I am not holding my breath though.
    I'd love to share your optimism, and this is nothing personal, but I've got the impression most people would vote for a couple of quid in their pockets, even at the risk of drowning, frying or being poisoned while holding on to the baubles and gewgaws they've bought with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast