Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dead cow's and strap leads

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I dread to think what price the shipping cost might end up, but it's a good shop to buy from.
    Sam. I have just ordered 10 three quarter oz straps at £7 plus £3.50 delivery. £1 a piece, about par for the course I reckon. That would only get me two pints of ale in my local, so happy with that. Pete
    Last edited by bracket; 21-01-2020 at 19:04.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    It was me Ray and I wrote an article on how to make them. Don't know whether they are still in the Archive or not. I seem to think the drawings got corrupted when the site changed servers or something like that.
    Any particular type of hard wood Ray? I could easily rout out a mould for some dead cows. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 21-01-2020 at 19:05.
    Casternets

Once again, as I expected, you have come up trumps Gentlemen. I now have a way forward and avenues to explore. Thanks so much for your help and advice. Pete.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Any particular type of hard wood Ray? I could easily rout out a mould for some dead cows. Pete.
    The Bad One would be the best one to point you in the right direction there mate. He has just pointed out that he was the one who wrote about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    The Bad One would be the best one to point you in the right direction there mate. He has just pointed out that he was the one who wrote about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry Ray. I picked the wrong post. Pete
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Pete any close grained hardwood. Beech, oak, maple, cheery wood does the job. Once burnt in you get very little burning after that.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I dread to think what price the shipping cost might end up, but it's a good shop to buy from.
    Sam. I didn't realise immediately but the penny's just dropped. Matchmans Supplies is Tim Aplins place at West Bridgeford, in my home town of Nottingham. I been in there many a time. Pete.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Sam. I didn't realise immediately but the penny's just dropped. Matchmans Supplies is Tim Aplins place at West Bridgeford, in my home town of Nottingham. I been in there many a time. Pete.

I've not had the pleasure, but I've bought from them quite a few times.

Pete, I know your sorted but, just because the sub conscious was still chewing this one over; I remembered using ordinary household poly-filler to make molds once, just mix into a stiff paste, level off in a mold box, press your item in - in this case one of your old cow weights, leave to dry hard, pour your lead in. I just seem to remember this working for me once for something or other a long time ago, thought I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Pete, I know your sorted but, just because the sub conscious was still chewing this one over; I remembered using ordinary household poly-filler to make molds once, just mix into a stiff paste, level off in a mold box, press your item in - in this case one of your old cow weights, leave to dry hard, pour your lead in. I just seem to remember this working for me once for something or other a long time ago, thought I would mention it.
    Thanks for that Mark. I have done a similar thing to cast big river plummets. I used a block of Plaster of Paris and ground the shape out with a tapered stone. Worked OK. When I lived in the Midlands a friend of mine, Dennis Fox, (hence the ID "FOXY" on the strap in the photo) made me a set of metal moulds for leads up to 2ozs. They were ideal, particularly as another friend was a roof felter and supplied me with off cuts of lead flashing. I cast them like shelling peas. Somewhere along the line I lent the moulds out, never to be returned. That's life. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 23-01-2020 at 22:03.
    Casternets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast