Dead cow's and strap leads

bracket

Reaction score
Gentlemen. Some assistance please, if you are able. During the feeder fishing boom on the Trent we would often add extra lead to the feeder using, what we termed as dead cow's and strap leads, like these:

[url=https://postimg.cc/NyFXQgTM] [/URL]

My stash is now running low and I am unable to find a supply on line, apart from the leads that attach lengthways. I am looking for leads that clip around the diameter of the feeder. Any help would be appreciated. Pete.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I still use them from x to x Pete when on the Trent myself.
Like you I don't see them these day but if O do I'll send you the fone number of the dealer.
In emergencies I either fit strip lead that I have plenty of either lengthways or around the feeder then turn the ends of the strip into one of the feeders holes that sometimes have to be enlarged to accomomodate it.
I've even used the an Arsely bomb connected with a piece of wire to the base/end or simply by dropping one inside the feeder itself (works a treat ).
Most of my bigger Trent lead jobs over the last few years that I use when Barbel fishing are made for me by a friend in Ollerton near Newark , he has also made me "dead cows" but the clip strips have always been a little to thin and after a few times used tend to break off .
I still have some of his left, maybe five at most but tbh I'd rather cut them in half and use them as makeweights inside a capped feeder!
Hope this helps.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a thought that came into my head, those leads they clip on to car wheels to balance them, available from tyre changing places like Kwik Fit, whether they are any good for this purpose and whether they would sell you some I do not know but maybe worth a look.

Another vague thought, use these or any other lead to melt down in an old saucepan on the stove, then make a mold in a little box of sand to roughly the required shape. Pour it in and wait for it to cool, you might be able to make several at the same time of different sizes.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I bought a reel of lead flashing years ago and cut whatever I want to shape.

I also use the same roll of lead to put lengthways on homemade heavy feeders for the Trent. I use mesh from the garden centre for those. Crude but cheap and they work.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Someone on here, I can’t remember who, made a lead mould from hardwood for making dead cows. If I remember correctly he said they were surprisingly durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bad one

Reaction score
Someone on here, I can’t remember who, made a lead mould from hardwood for making dead cows. If I remember correctly he said they were surprisingly durable.

It was me Ray and I wrote an article on how to make them. Don't know whether they are still in the Archive or not. I seem to think the drawings got corrupted when the site changed servers or something like that.

bracket

Reaction score
I dread to think what price the shipping cost might end up, but it's a good shop to buy from.

Sam. I have just ordered 10 three quarter oz straps at £7 plus £3.50 delivery. £1 a piece, about par for the course I reckon. That would only get me two pints of ale in my local, so happy with that. Pete

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
It was me Ray and I wrote an article on how to make them. Don't know whether they are still in the Archive or not. I seem to think the drawings got corrupted when the site changed servers or something like that.

Any particular type of hard wood Ray? I could easily rout out a mould for some dead cows. Pete.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Once again, as I expected, you have come up trumps Gentlemen. I now have a way forward and avenues to explore. Thanks so much for your help and advice. Pete.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Any particular type of hard wood Ray? I could easily rout out a mould for some dead cows. Pete.

The Bad One would be the best one to point you in the right direction there mate. He has just pointed out that he was the one who wrote about it.

bracket

Reaction score
The Bad One would be the best one to point you in the right direction there mate. He has just pointed out that he was the one who wrote about it.

Sorry Ray. I picked the wrong post. Pete

The bad one

Reaction score
Pete any close grained hardwood. Beech, oak, maple, cheery wood does the job. Once burnt in you get very little burning after that.

bracket

Reaction score
I dread to think what price the shipping cost might end up, but it's a good shop to buy from.

Sam. I didn't realise immediately but the penny's just dropped. Matchmans Supplies is Tim Aplins place at West Bridgeford, in my home town of Nottingham. I been in there many a time. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam. I didn't realise immediately but the penny's just dropped. Matchmans Supplies is Tim Aplins place at West Bridgeford, in my home town of Nottingham. I been in there many a time. Pete.

I've not had the pleasure, but I've bought from them quite a few times.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pete, I know your sorted but, just because the sub conscious was still chewing this one over; I remembered using ordinary household poly-filler to make molds once, just mix into a stiff paste, level off in a mold box, press your item in - in this case one of your old cow weights, leave to dry hard, pour your lead in. I just seem to remember this working for me once for something or other a long time ago, thought I would mention it.

bracket

Reaction score
Pete, I know your sorted but, just because the sub conscious was still chewing this one over; I remembered using ordinary household poly-filler to make molds once, just mix into a stiff paste, level off in a mold box, press your item in - in this case one of your old cow weights, leave to dry hard, pour your lead in. I just seem to remember this working for me once for something or other a long time ago, thought I would mention it.

Thanks for that Mark. I have done a similar thing to cast big river plummets. I used a block of Plaster of Paris and ground the shape out with a tapered stone. Worked OK. When I lived in the Midlands a friend of mine, Dennis Fox, (hence the ID "FOXY" on the strap in the photo) made me a set of metal moulds for leads up to 2ozs. They were ideal, particularly as another friend was a roof felter and supplied me with off cuts of lead flashing. I cast them like shelling peas. Somewhere along the line I lent the moulds out, never to be returned. That's life. Pete.

Last edited: