Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dead cow's and strap leads

Gentlemen. Some assistance please, if you are able. During the feeder fishing boom on the Trent we would often add extra lead to the feeder using, what we termed as dead cow's and strap leads, like these:

My stash is now running low and I am unable to find a supply on line, apart from the leads that attach lengthways. I am looking for leads that clip around the diameter of the feeder. Any help would be appreciated. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 21-01-2020 at 12:50.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dead cow's and strap leads

I still use them from x to x Pete when on the Trent myself.
    Like you I don't see them these day but if O do I'll send you the fone number of the dealer.
    In emergencies I either fit strip lead that I have plenty of either lengthways or around the feeder then turn the ends of the strip into one of the feeders holes that sometimes have to be enlarged to accomomodate it.
    I've even used the an Arsely bomb connected with a piece of wire to the base/end or simply by dropping one inside the feeder itself (works a treat ).
    Most of my bigger Trent lead jobs over the last few years that I use when Barbel fishing are made for me by a friend in Ollerton near Newark , he has also made me "dead cows" but the clip strips have always been a little to thin and after a few times used tend to break off .
    I still have some of his left, maybe five at most but tbh I'd rather cut them in half and use them as makeweights inside a capped feeder!
    Hope this helps.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Have you tried the stick on lead strips that you can fit to windows to make them look as if you have leaded windows .

Just a thought that came into my head, those leads they clip on to car wheels to balance them, available from tyre changing places like Kwik Fit, whether they are any good for this purpose and whether they would sell you some I do not know but maybe worth a look.

Another vague thought, use these or any other lead to melt down in an old saucepan on the stove, then make a mold in a little box of sand to roughly the required shape. Pour it in and wait for it to cool, you might be able to make several at the same time of different sizes.
    Last edited by markg; 21-01-2020 at 14:15.

I bought a reel of lead flashing years ago and cut whatever I want to shape.

I also use the same roll of lead to put lengthways on homemade heavy feeders for the Trent. I use mesh from the garden centre for those. Crude but cheap and they work.
    Last edited by john step; 21-01-2020 at 14:54.

Someone on here, I can’t remember who, made a lead mould from hardwood for making dead cows. If I remember correctly he said they were surprisingly durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    Someone on here, I can’t remember who, made a lead mould from hardwood for making dead cows. If I remember correctly he said they were surprisingly durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was me Ray and I wrote an article on how to make them. Don't know whether they are still in the Archive or not. I seem to think the drawings got corrupted when the site changed servers or something like that.

Thank you Sam. That's what I need. Pete.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Thank you Sam. That's what I need. Pete.
    I dread to think what price the shipping cost might end up, but it's a good shop to buy from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast