One for the rod detectives

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Found this in a charity shop this morning, had to have it, an oldish rod in lovely condition, has a female thread in the tip for a quiver or a swing tip (where could I get one). Still has the plastic protective wrap on the cork.Wondered if it had any value.

10ft Mitchell Stallion Leger rod

you were my strength

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your offers are appreciated, just found one on the bay but many thanks.

mikench

Reaction score
You'll enjoy trying a swing tip John. The word leger could mean light as far as the rod is concerned rather than a rod for ledgering. I suspect it does.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used a swing tip way back some fifty years ago, all the rage then, don’t know why they’ve become so unfashionable, a very sensitive method of bite indication, giving it a waggle I’d say it’s a light and fairly soft rod, it will compliment my Crystalight for sunny balmy days on the estate unless I sell it for some silly money.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I think the older rods looked alot better cosmetically, they had character,

I keep meaning to dig old my old ones to see what they are, I think one definitely is a crusader, and the other one is sunshine or sunrise or something like that definitely begins with an s

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

flightliner

Reaction score
Your offers are appreciated, just found one on the bay but many thanks.
S63.
I take it you're not a Yorkshireman lol !

rich66

Reaction score
Swing tip is a lovely subtle way of bite indication.
I was using mine today.
Nice rod, I have a Mitchell power feeder must be of similar era I use it most of the time for my feeder fishing. The one rod I have with a screw thread fitting I bought new of eBay and regret it, it’s a bit like 9’ broom stick in it’s action.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Swing tip ? Not another method I know nothing about... I've really got a lot of catching up to do ain't i

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was a popular pastime for swingers in the sixties and seventies.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The word leger could mean light as far as the rod is concerned rather than a rod for ledgering. I suspect it does.

I would doubt it. There was a period of time that "leger" was considered to be the correct way to spell the fishing term. As it was pretty much just a made up fishing word, spill chuckers autocorrect "leger" to ledger and leger has steadily become a thing of the past. Besides, I don't suppose that many really care that much. However, I know that I'll generally try to use leger, it's absolutely deliberate and not a mistake. I notice a few others that do the same.

rich66

Reaction score
I would doubt it. There was a period of time that "leger" was considered to be the correct way to spell the fishing term. As it was pretty much just a made up fishing word, spill chuckers autocorrect "leger" to ledger and leger has steadily become a thing of the past. Besides, I don't suppose that many really care that much. However, I know that I'll generally try to use leger, it's absolutely deliberate and not a mistake. I notice a few others that do the same.

I always thought it was leger not ledger, thanks for bringing it up with Auto correct i tend to start doubting myself after a while !

mikench

Reaction score
I thought Mitchell was a French company hence my conclusion. I am happy to be wrong.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I thought Mitchell was a French company hence my conclusion. I am happy to be wrong.
Yes, Mitchell is (or was) a French company and they made the famous 300 reels amongst many other models. Also 'Leger' is a French word meaning 'lightweight' and it was probably adopted by us to describe fishing with a light weight on the line instead of a float. 'Ledger' is a book to keep accounts in, as in Sales Ledger, Nominal Ledger, so I tend to use 'Leger' as well.

peterjg

Reaction score
I used a swingtip only yesterday on the K&A canal, great method. Had 9 small roach and 5 brown trout to 4lbs 3oz.