Best methods now I have access to several stretches of river?

Gaston664

Reaction score
Last year was my first year really getting into this hobby.

I went at least once a week and I'm now "hooked".

I mostly was on day ticket commercial fisheries in my local area and had loads of fun fishing for carp using various methods.

Also caught plenty of bream and a few tench. It was a good year!

I also tried a bit of dropshotting and caught my first perch.

Now I have a membership to my local angling association (Exeter) and have access to loads of stretches of river.

Thing is I've never fished a river before, so wanted to see what you guys thought about what might be a good approach to try?

Not looking for anything in specific but I assume chub will be likely.

I have a few bits of kit, a few rods - a float rod, barbel rod, carp rod, spinning rod.

I thought I could potentially try trotting with an old centre pin I have?

Any ideas welcome!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trotting a float, using a feeder or bomb, they all have their place. Personally I would walk the stretch a few times, you might get to meet a few fellow members and get some useful tips.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
1/32 and 1/16 oz ball head jigs and various material attached to them has done well for most species along with small diameter braid line. Depending on the size of fish you expect to catch, rod length and action should be adjusted accordingly. The more areas explored the better the chances of hooking up.
Soft plastics are my usual lures followed by hair jigs. Some use organic baits.
Good Luck !!

ian g

Reaction score
I'd agree , when I first started fishing the Severn the best advise I was given was to concentrate on one stretch and get to know it through a year. Rivers will change much more dramatically through the year with floods etc . I found learning to fish the one stretch really helpful and gave me confidence to succeed on other stretches . They maybe a a bit of a learning curve from day ticket waters but are definitely worth the effort. Good luck

GT56

Reaction score
Gaston, you sound really keen and that's brilliant. What mustn't happen is your enthusiasm take an unnecessary bashing. As already suggested, walk the bank and talk to other Anglers. I'm sure the Angling association/club you've joined will be a good source of advice and guidance.

Molehill

Reaction score
This certainly isn't the best time of year to start, if you are inexperienced and want results, things will improve in the new season (don't forget that there is a close season on rivers).
I am with Ian on this, stick to a stretch and learn rather than chase fish all over. There is a lot to learn on rivers and every blank produces more knowledge, spend time talking to other anglers, watch, learn and spend time walking the river and looking for fish.
If you are struggling, return to the commercials for some sport and confidence boost.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am the same with the above. I would just take a few floats, a plummet, a couple of baits, a small chair if you want, think about which species your likely to get for the river and time of year. This will probably be chub and roach for this time of year but you can check with local knowledge through your club or tackle shop. A 3-5lb line will probably suffice depending., maybe a 14, 12 or 10 hook depending again. bread, maggots, sweetcorn, luncheon meat etc but, maggots probably best to start with, they will catch anything and everything so over the first few sessions you can build up a picture of whats in there and where. And/or a few handfuls of mashed bread thrown in now and then with the maggots or just bread with a bit of bread flake squeezed on the hook. Both baits, chucking some in the little and often rule is time and tested until you can gauge things a bit more specifically.
Then it is a case of just trying a stretch, try some different swims, get to know the depths with your plummet, eddy's, bends-these are often good to try, if the river is flooding the inside track of bends is usually slower and free-er of any debris if its coming down and the faster bits on the outside of bends when the river is calmer, the crease between the slow and fast water is often favored by anglers. watch for slippery and crumbly banks this time of year with all the rain we have had.
Lots of different ways to approach a river and the species it holds so this is just a general approach to start with but it is likely how I would start to approach it at first. Not ruling out some form of legering, swim feeder etc but a float will help you get more used to the river and how it works.
Over a few sessions you will start to get to know the stretch, likely hot spots, dead spots, best places to fish winter and summer, depths and flow, chub holding lairs, best baits, best methods. It will all come in time, you may not catch as much as you did lake fishing but you should find it interesting, enjoyable and satisfying nevertheless.

Last edited: