Line spray

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would imagine it works the other way also Chris, if a "so called" floating line goes below the surface film I can't imagine it will pop back up through it, it's more likely to drag the rest under the surface film....don't you think?
I've always found the same as Peter, and always find it a pain having to sink any mono i've used on still waters.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would imagine it works the other way also Chris, if a "so called" floating line goes below the surface film I can't imagine it will pop back up through it, it's more likely to drag the rest under the surface film....don't you think?
I've always found the same as Peter, and always find it a pain having to sink any mono i've used on still waters.

No, if a genuine floating line (ie truly buoyant) line ends up breaking through the surface tension, it will pop back up to the surface. Only if it's neutrally buoyant (or denser) will this not occur. The snag is, just how many genuinely buoyant lines are there? Very few in my experience. Most lines sold as floating lines are actually neutrally buoyant or slow sinking (only slightly more dense than water). These certainly would qualify for your "so called" floating tag. I've given up on genuine floating lines, partly due to availability. However, I deliberately avoid using lines that sink really well (Maxima, Sensor, any Fluoro, etc) for any of my trotting or lighter waggler work.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used braid for trotting?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on the pros and cons Chris and which braid have you found the most suitable.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pros
1) Most of it floats very well. Finding a genuine sinking braid is rather difficult.
2) Mending line and line pick up on the strike is very easy.
3) It lasts for ever, unless you have a close encounter with submerged snags.
4) Hitting bites at ridiculous range was a lot more likely.

Cons
1) Unless you risk unbranded stuff direct from China, it's far too expensive.
2) Difficult to get in sensible (for float fishing) breaking strains.
3) Lighter breaking strains are so thin and light that the lightest of breezes can pick it up off the surface of the water. In close to ideal conditions, this isn't an issue. However, how many people only go out when conditions are close to perfect?
4) Abrasion resistance can be poor.
5) Even the better, more costly, stuff tends to make a horrible noise through rod rings.
6) Can wear cheaper or older types of rod ring inserts. Be careful with the rods you use it with.
7) The colours it tends to come in are often unsuitable for float fishing.

I settled on Powerpro. However, that was partly because price and availability in lighter breaking strains and decent colours came into play. I'd have prefered to use one of the latest 8 strand braids, but the price, colours and breaking strains available all conspired to put me off.

In the end, I gave up on braid for trotting. It's not without merit, but mono is a lot less hassle.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
However, I deliberately avoid using lines that sink really well (Maxima, Sensor, any Fluoro, etc) for any of my trotting or lighter waggler work.

I've never used maxima for trotting but sensor floats like a ping pong ball for me, if it didn't I wouldn't use it. Perlon also floats well enough for long trotting.

Regarding braid, i've used it in several different makes, powerpro and Berkley fireline crystal spring to my mind. The fireline was white and I know a couple of people who swear by it for trotting. I prefered the powerpro but didn't like any of them. I find sensor is just as visible on the surface and is better for mending as you can throw the mono as you mend it. I found the noise the braid makes in the guides similar to a Max Bygraves record and just couldn't stand it! The necessity to use a mono hooklength was a pain in the harris also.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, funnily enough the only time I’ve experimented it was with Powerpro braid as the colour was similar to the streamers that are rife in the gin clear waters of the Canterbury Stour through the Summer months. Did have a couple of chub, was a bit put off by the sound of the braid through the rings but have grown accustomed to that now I use braid exclusively for my bass fishing.

nottskev

Reaction score
Chris, after all that, you may be surprised to get a further question. But how did you find playing fish on braid? I've not tried braid on the river, but I've used it a bit on stills eg for bream fishing on your local (!) Semerwater. The no-stretch nature magnified bites, and only the slightest gesture towards a strike was needed. But I really didn't enjoy playing fish on braid, for the way they banged and thumped - even bream on a soft rod - and the continuous feeling that the hook was likely to pull or the hooklength break, for want of any give and stretch. I'm trying to imagine how it works when trotting.

The only other time I've used braid has been for a bit of very amateur worm drop-shotting, where it again magnifies bites, and playing fish isn't really an issue as there's usually a fairly grotesque mismatch between the gear and the fish ie 10lb braid and a size 8 or 6 hook v a 6 oz perch.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never used maxima for trotting but sensor floats like a ping pong ball for me, if it didn't I wouldn't use it. Perlon also floats well enough for long trotting.

I'm sure we've had this conversation before. There's a distinct difference between something that genuinely floats and something that doesn't break surface tension without help. Put a bit of Sensor in a glass of water (even a brand new bit) into a glass of water, ensure that it breaks through the surface tension, and it will sink to the bottom. It is definitely a sinking line.

Thanks Chris, funnily enough the only time I’ve experimented it was with Powerpro braid as the colour was similar to the streamers that are rife in the gin clear waters of the Canterbury Stour through the Summer months. Did have a couple of chub, was a bit put off by the sound of the braid through the rings but have grown accustomed to that now I use braid exclusively for my bass fishing.

I didn't have an issue with green Powerpro, even on the peaty northern rivers.

Chris, after all that, you may be surprised to get a further question. But how did you find playing fish on braid? I've not tried braid on the river, but I've used it a bit on stills eg for bream fishing on your local (!) Semerwater. The no-stretch nature magnified bites, and only the slightest gesture towards a strike was needed. But I really didn't enjoy playing fish on braid, for the way they banged and thumped - even bream on a soft rod - and the continuous feeling that the hook was likely to pull or the hooklength break, for want of any give and stretch. I'm trying to imagine how it works when trotting.

The only other time I've used braid has been for a bit of very amateur worm drop-shotting, where it again magnifies bites, and playing fish isn't really an issue as there's usually a fairly grotesque mismatch between the gear and the fish ie 10lb braid and a size 8 or 6 hook v a 6 oz perch.

Rod choice became less straight forward due to the reduced stretch. Too fast an action or too powerful an action would see you bumping fish. It definitely coloured my rod choices while I used it. I always used a mono/fluoro hooklink with braid. You certainly couldn't fish a really light hooklink with it. You'd get smashed with alarming monotony, especially if you make the wrong choice of rod.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure we've had this conversation before. There's a distinct difference between something that genuinely floats and something that doesn't break surface tension without help. Put a bit of Sensor in a glass of water (even a brand new bit) into a glass of water, ensure that it breaks through the surface tension, and it will sink to the bottom. It is definitely a sinking line.

If it stays on the surface, that's near enough to genuine floating for me :).

Regarding braid, I did use it with and without gut bottoms and never had a problem bumping fish with any of my rods.
I didn't find it hooked fish any better at range than mono to be honest.

As much as it sounds like i'm just arguing with your findings, i'm not, i'm just stating my experiences with the stuff i've used.
I tried braid years ago and quickly came to the conclusion that I prefered mono for trotting.
I do like using braid for lure/spinning/ jigging and sea fishing. I've even used it for legering and found it to be quite good.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it stays on the surface, that's near enough to genuine floating for me :).

Regarding braid, I did use it with and without gut bottoms and never had a problem bumping fish with any of my rods.
I didn't find it hooked fish any better at range than mono to be honest.

As much as it sounds like i'm just arguing with your findings, i'm not, i'm just stating my experiences with the stuff i've used.
I tried braid years ago and quickly came to the conclusion that I prefered mono for trotting.
I do like using braid for lure/spinning/ jigging and sea fishing. I've even used it for legering and found it to be quite good.

Your experiences are different to mine, so be it. However, physics is physics, Sensor is not a floating line. Surface tension may confuse the issue, it may do what you need it to do, but it does not make it a floating line. It certainly doesn't pop back up the way the ping pong ball you alluded to does. You can easily prove that with a glass of water.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your experiences are different to mine, so be it. However, physics is physics, Sensor is not a floating line. Surface tension may confuse the issue, it may do what you need it to do, but it does not make it a floating line. It certainly doesn't pop back up the way the ping pong ball you alluded to does. You can easily prove that with a glass of water.

Blimey, after all this floating chit-chat I think I need something a little stronger than water just now LOL.

I've been using it for trotting for 15yrs now and lying on the surface or floating it has been fine for me. When mending the line it just lifts off the surface and falls back nicely. Even when fishing still waters with a slack line i've used the floating/lying on the surface line as my indicator, as soon as it's started to pull under or mave across the surface I strike into a fish.

Chris, your not gonn'a believe this, I just cut a piece of 4lb sensor, a piece of about 1 1/2 inches long. I did the same with a piece of fireline crystal and tested them in a glass of water The sensor lied on the surface until I pushed it under and it sunk. The braid lied on the surface but when pushed under a few times it rose to the surface and most of it was beneathe the film with the tip popping on top. I came downstairs with the glass ...and guess what...the bloody sensor had floated back to the top!!
Ok, it was under the film, but it had risen...Hallelujah, praise the sensor !!

Last edited: