Line spray

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone use a spray on their line when trotting? I wondered if apart from the claims of helping line float that it may also aid lubrication and lessen the risk of bedding in.

nottskev

Reaction score
I do, John, and it has the added benefit of making the line go more smoothly through the rings. I know you've just got yourself a cf reel; I've found that a spray helps the line go smoothly on the pin winders, too.

mikench

Reaction score
I have used mucilin when floater fishing bread and I have some of this stuff which I bought in the US.

YouTube

I can't say I've noticed any difference to anything but if you fancy giving it a try you can have it John. I'll bring it home with me as I've used it with sea fishing reels.

You'll note the guy in the vid swears by it. Hardly surprising since he sells the b***** stuff.:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do, John, and it has the added benefit of making the line go more smoothly through the rings. I know you've just got yourself a cf reel; I've found that a spray helps the line go smoothly on the pin winders, too.

It’s the lubrication factor I’m looking for, more so than aiding the floating characteristic, what spray do you use Kev?

PS did you read my pm with details of a possible source for your spring?

nottskev

Reaction score
I had to go and look - I couldn't remember. I've used several makes, the last one being a 50ml Mucilin Dry fly Floatant spray.

I got your pm's, thanks - just a bit slow off the mark with a reply to number 2.
Thanks for the steer re. a possible repair - I'll give them a ring. I've actually got 3 spare spools for the defunct Ryobi, and two will suffice, if I ever get a spring to repair it, so if you'd like a spare to go with the single spool you got with yours, you're welcome.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never use anything and my line floats well enough. You can't always see your line clearly when it floats. If your concerned as to where it is just mend it.
No lubrication should be be needed if your guides are all clean and your line is decent.
I'd say the best lube is no lube.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is FM playing up as I keep getting database error messages.

I've had the odd one over the last week or two. However, today has seen an increase in frequency. I've also been getting "you are attempting to navigate away from this page" pop ups, with "Stay on page" or "leave page" radio buttons. Something is definitely not right.

So do I Mike, it is really annoying but only happens on my Smart 'phone; all is well when using the LapTop . . . . .

I rarely use my phone or tablet for FM. My issues have only occurred on a laptop. As I'm not getting any problems elsewhere, I'm pretty sure it's not down to my laptop or browser.

barbelboi

Reaction score
So do I Mike, it is really annoying but only happens on my Smart 'phone; all is well when using the LapTop . . . . .

I'm getting it on the laptop since I logged back on a little while ago - I have to cut out or refresh to make in behave...............

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Kryston Greased Lightning is brilliant,line floatant,makes peel smoothly off the spool and stop icing up at this time of year

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Would one of those water repellent sprays work? I have seen these used on windscreens and water just flies of them. I have a problem with line sticking to rings and rod when it rains. I imagine this would stop that or a line sprayed with one of these would float very well. There are several on the market at Amazon for about six quid.

trotter2

Reaction score
Would one of those water repellent sprays work? I have seen these used on windscreens and water just flies of them. I have a problem with line sticking to rings and rod when it rains. I imagine this would stop that or a line sprayed with one of these would float very well. There are several on the market at Amazon for about six quid.

Some of the silicon sprays are made as a lubricant for plumbers . What you need is a dry silicon spray.
I use Mr sheen furniture spray.

trotter2

Reaction score

Some of the silicon sprays are made as a lubricant for plumbers . What you need is a dry silicon spray.
I use Mr sheen furniture spray.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have yet to find a line that doesn’t float? In fact I wish there was a true sinking line for waggler or feeder fishing. Some say Maxima sinks but it doesn’t without help.
I once tried a “sinking method line” and that floated too...
Why one needs mucilin or other floatants is a mystery to me?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have yet to find a line that doesn’t float? In fact I wish there was a true sinking line for waggler or feeder fishing. Some say Maxima sinks but it doesn’t without help.
I once tried a “sinking method line” and that floated too...
Why one needs mucilin or other floatants is a mystery to me?

It may be rather academic, but there's a difference between a line sitting in surface tension and being genuinely buoyant. Fluorocarbon is definitely more dense than water, it sinks. However, that doesn't mean that it will break through the surface tension of water without any assistance.

If you want to prove whether a line genuinely floats, is neutrally buoyant, or sinks, take a small section and place it into a glass of water making sure it's sub-surface. A buoyant line will rise in the water column, neutral will sit where it was placed in the water column (provided there's no currents for it to waft about in) and the a sinker will descend in the water column.