Seat box legs help!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Hi all

My seat box is a Maver, which has 30mm extending legs. The extending legs work (!) via a compression lever. The trouble is they DON’T work as they slip. The not inconsiderable weight of a middle aged bloke on top of the seat, in fact guarantees they will slip.

Anybody got a remedy?

5EEF904F-0E68-4605-89D6-53093158D409.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I had the same problem with similar legs on a chair. A temporary fix was to remove the steel plate with the partial black end cap and turn it over and replace. In the end though the manufacturer of the chair( Kodex) replaced it out of warranty.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks.

How did you remove the plate?

I have contacted Maver but the box is well out of warranty so I’m not too hopeful for that route.

That being said, it’s not been too badly hammered and should have a good few years use in it if I can resolve this issue.

mikench

Reaction score
How did you remove the plate?

I cant honestly recall but seem to remember it was held in place by either a push in button or the spring or both. You can remove the leg completely to do so but i couldnt. Detach the leg and have a look. It was a 30 second job if i recall.

The above advice was handed down by our much missed Graham aka The Crow. Here is my comment on what he told me;

I think I have fixed it following the advice from Crow. The leg just pulls off with a little elbow grease and the aluminium section can be pulled allowing the spring and the lever which compresses it to be removed. I turned the lever over and reassembled. So far so good. Cheers Crow!!

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I’ll try that then, cheers.

New legs, with screws are £15 each and I will need 6, so a cheaper remedy will be appreciated!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I’ll try that then, cheers.

New legs, with screws are £15 each and I will need 6, so a cheaper remedy will be appreciated!

What brand are those, ? By screws I take it you mean extending inners,
Any generic brand will fit your seatbox as long as diameter is correct.
If you do not need extending inners on legs just get standard ones,
£15 each seems about right for 30mm extending Preston Innovations legs .I think map or matrix may be cheaper.
Which maver seatbox is it ?

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Hi it’s a Maver Signature 1000 and I have a Signature venue box which interchanges if I’m travelling light.

The Maver legs are spring loaded 30mm diameter, 50cm long, extending.

I’m looking at Preston Inception as a replacement, £29.99 for a pair 75cm long, 30mm diameter.

MAP are dearer and Matrix don’t seem to do 30mm.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Tried Mikench’s advice, took one apart but it still didn’t work, so it’s looking like replacement ones from another manufacturer.

Thanks anyway, my friend!

mikench

Reaction score
I'm sorry it didn't work. It was only a temporary fix for me. I would await the response from Maver though as there may be an issue they are aware of.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've only seen that type of locking mechanism on chairs, and then it's not always reliable. And chairs often have splayed legs where the weight isn't directly down the leg, as on a box, so it allows what looks like a less than brilliant mechanism to work adequately. I'm surprised to see that it's used on a seat-box; I've only seen variations on locking screws, with Octbox, where a screw, in a metal rather than plastic case, pushes a metal block against a ribbed leg, the best I've come across. With replacement legs working out pretty expensive, would you not be better with a used seatbox from ebay? I've seen plenty well below the price you mentioned for replacement legs - one of those occasions where you're better buying the whole thing than paying for the parts.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree with Kev . I would also add that dependent on the age of your box( I have no experience of boxes) there may be a known issue so have a look at the latest incarnation of your box to see if the mechanism has changed. If it has then one can conclude yours was lest than satisfactory on a box. A chair has legs which are at an angle to the perpendicular so the pressure on the plate is more obvious than on a vertical leg.

wetthrough

Reaction score
The anodizing won't help as it's hard and slippy. You can get 500mm*30mm*2mm wall plain aly tubing on eBay for £6.00 inc £3.50 P&P, possibly cheaper if you look around. Might be worth a try on one leg if you can make the change yourself?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks fellas.
The combined RRP for both boxes is around £800, though I’m glad to say I didn’t pay that, as I got them both used, but as new, fortunately.
To replace with new equivalents would be far too much. So I think 4 new legs, of a compatible diameter but better design will be worth the investment. The legs on the footplate are less important so I can live with the best of the bad bunch for them.

The Signature 1000 was Maver’s premium box not long ago, though they have quickly upgraded and the new design has abandoned these compression legs. Says it all really.

That said, the design over all is great. Such a shame that I won’t be buying any more of their tackle. £500 RRP is a lot of cash for anyone, at that price point it should be quality and long lasting, I’ve already had an issue with it, which in fairness Maver dealt with perfectly, they even sent me a free cap which my dog chewed so they sent me another.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to have to constantly innovate to compete, which leads to lots of fur coat but less knickers, to use a turn of phrase.

Personally, I love fishing and I love buying fishing tackle but it’s just a pain when it lets me down.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Mavers previous top range seatboxes all had the inners held in place with block and screw, the same as other major brands, I looked at the signature box after previously owning the MXI flagshipbox,
I decided to stay with preston innovations .I think maver took a step backwards using that design of adjustment, not sure if cost or trying to be different. I think they failed, dont see many maver flagship boxes on the bank

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks fellas.
The combined RRP for both boxes is around £800, though I’m glad to say I didn’t pay that, as I got them both used, but as new, fortunately.
To replace with new equivalents would be far too much. So I think 4 new legs, of a compatible diameter but better design will be worth the investment. The legs on the footplate are less important so I can live with the best of the bad bunch for them.

The Signature 1000 was Maver’s premium box not long ago, though they have quickly upgraded and the new design has abandoned these compression legs. Says it all really.

That said, the design over all is great. Such a shame that I won’t be buying any more of their tackle. £500 RRP is a lot of cash for anyone, at that price point it should be quality and long lasting, I’ve already had an issue with it, which in fairness Maver dealt with perfectly, they even sent me a free cap which my dog chewed so they sent me another.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to have to constantly innovate to compete, which leads to lots of fur coat but less knickers, to use a turn of phrase.

Personally, I love fishing and I love buying fishing tackle but it’s just a pain when it lets me down.

Daiwa, Preston Innovations and MAP all do 25mm legs with adjustable inners for around £25 -30 a pair.or I think Maver reality seatbox legs are same design as the others.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
500mm couldn’t find enough of the 750mm in stock.

The ones I’m replacing are 500mm so hopefully they will do the job.