Waterway wanderers permit

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It can get even more complicated, one canal I inquired about to the EA, stretches you could fish in the close season and others you couldn't, classed as areas of scientific interest or something like that and you couldn't fish them in the close season. You would never know which was which and they never mentioned a canal permit either; something else I will have to check.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
If I check the waters near me they all come with club name against them. In which case it would be cheaper to take out this permit than join the club. That is if I have read the info correctly.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Well if I search a stretch available on the Waterways Wanderers permit, 50 miles from oxford, I get nothing. The GU, the Oxford or the Kennet & Avon are 100% club waters.

rich66

Reaction score
If I check the waters near me they all come with club name against them. In which case it would be cheaper to take out this permit than join the club. That is if I have read the info correctly.

I think Steve2 that if a club rents the water then you’ll need a club ticket rather than a waterways wanderers permit

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think Steve2 that if a club rents the water then you’ll need a club ticket rather than a waterways wanderers permit

That is correct , like I mentioned before one of my clubs control stretches of the Shropshire Union canal, and are fishable only on club card or a club day ticket, other stretches nearby on same canal are C&RT card, so if I wanted to fish those I would need a C&RT card because not club controlled.
As for canals around Oxford ,I think most stretches are club controlled and club day tickets on most stretches, most clubs are in ODAA , an alliance, meaning if I am in a club belonging to the alliance, I can also fish other clubs stretches, and the price of some club cards is cheaper than a few pints in the pub.
Dont forget a C&RT card is countrywide not just for your area.

steve2

Reaction score
After rereading the C&RT info there is nowhere near me that I can fish with just a C&RT permit they are all club leased fisheries. They say that only areas marked in orange on the maps come under the C&RT permit and there are none. They do say that most of the water is already leased to clubs across the country so this permit seems very much a waste of money.

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
After rereading the C&RT info there is nowhere near me that I can fish with just a C&RT permit they are all club leased fisheries. They say that only areas marked in orange on the maps come under the C&RT permit and there are none. They do say that most of the water is already leased to clubs across the country so this permit seems very much a waste of money.
Now if I look around me, it is all orange not an angling club in sight

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I wonder how many people are aware they need this permit, I've spoken to a few lads who fish near me and there like what permit ? Never seen 1 never been asked for 1

steve2

Reaction score
Which raises the question why bother with one and why apart from boaters do anglers need permit to use the canals.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Why do anglers need permit to use the canals.[/QUOTE]

It helps pay for the maintenance, stocking and general upkeep of the canal.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Other than I would imagine club sections, do new fish get put into the canal ?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Which raises the question why bother with one and why apart from boaters do anglers need permit to use the canals.
I suppose it comes down to being a good angler ?

Fishing without a permit is breaking a law, if 1 law is ok to be ignored then surely they all are ?

We dont turn a blind eye to fishing out of season or poaching so why fishing without a permit ?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
My maths ain't the best but I think it works out at about 5.5p a day over a year, is it worth upsetting folk not having 1 ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Other than I would imagine club sections, do new fish get put into the canal ?

… CRT. (A charity).quote...
Caring for our fish
As part of our work as a charity, one of the three key roles of our national fisheries and angling team is to look after the wellbeing of our fish stocks.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
… CRT. (A charity).quote...
Caring for our fish
As part of our work as a charity, one of the three key roles of our national fisheries and angling team is to look after the wellbeing of our fish stocks.
I read that as looking after the fish already in stock ? Making sure there looked after, ?

steve2

Reaction score
If it is there to care for the canals why don't cyclists and other tow path users pay or got asked for a charity donation.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
At £20 pa, with £10 concessions and £5 juniors, it amounts to a nominal charge that brings in some revenue from canal stretches that are not leased by clubs.

If there are no such canal stretches nearby, it obviously wouldn't be good value. But it may be a very useful arrangement for people in other areas.

A browse on the CRT website will reveal a surprising amount done, on a number of fronts, to further the maintenance of canals and their promotion to the public. To take one instance, buried in the details of their website and possibly not widely known, a friend who's an angling coach regularly takes part in Learn to Fish taster sessions, where each coach will spend say half an hour with children new to fishing, and try to ensure they catch a fish. A lot of care and planning goes into these events, there are hundreds each year around the country, and they don't organise themselves.

With a possible alternative of a free for all neglect of out canals, I don't think the small charge for fishing stretches where they don't get revenue from club rents is unreasonable.

theartist

Reaction score
Be ok if they checked permits, they would get good revenue but I'm not sure they like to do that round here with some of the folk fishing it a bit dodge they would have to use numbers to enforce it.

As a result most people don't buy one along here. Good cause it may be but I'm not buying a permit to see everyone else fish it for free, if they do enforce it I'd be happy to get one, but they need manpower to do so, bit of a catch 22

Other areas may be different of course