Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: cormorants destroying fish stocks natural waters

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    Not sure the best way to tackle the problem but a cull is badly needed, one way or another they have to go.
    It's about time this nambi pambi way of dealing with these terrorist creatures was sorted out.
    “Terrorist creatures” they’re only doing what nature designed them to do, the fact that we don’t like it and it’s getting out of hand doesn’t make them card-carrying members of Al Quaeda!

But in the sea.They and the gulls which plague some seaside towns are seabirds. We have only ourselves to blame being dirty creatures who litter our streets and countryside with discarded food. It's hardly surprising that birds adapt and make hay.

I know nothing about shotguns but a fishery owner I know has no difficulty in taking them out. As he told me he wasn't planning on buying 5000 silver fish to feed cormorants.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    But in the sea.They and the gulls which plague some seaside towns are seabirds. We have only ourselves to blame being dirty creatures who litter our streets and countryside with discarded food. It's hardly surprising that birds adapt and make hay.

I know nothing about shotguns but a fishery owner I know has no difficulty in taking them out. As he told me he wasn't planning on buying 5000 silver fish to feed cormorants.
    Gulls are the ultimate adaptable omnivore and have always frequented seaside resorts. They are birds of the coastal environment and not birds of the open sea as they can’t dive for food. For decades before the advent of fast food outlets they have been predating on landfill sites miles from the sea. They are also known for following the plough for worms when farmers turn over their fields preparatory to planting.

I know what you mean sis. When I still lived in Nottingham, 30 year ago there was a huge resident flock of cormorants at Attenborough Nature reserve. First thing they did each morning was to fly to the Trout Lake at Colwick for breakfast. Pete.
    Casternets

Such a difficult thing to keep off any Stillwater they are very intelligent birds and other than shooting them little is guaranteed to work long term.

A lake of a club I was a member of had fish refuges introduced. Cylindrical wire mesh enclosures around 5ft in diameter with a black lid made of pond liner to provide shade. Cormorants couldn’t get in but silver fish could. Mind you the club in question invited the cormorants in by cutting down screening trees and giving the cormorants a flight path in and out. When their feathers are wet they need a long, clear take-off path if they are alarmed before drying them out.

It can be frustrating when you see fish eating birds in your fishing spots.
    I have to say though that i've seen cormorants and seagulls inland from being a kid. I can remember being 5yrs old and fishing with my dad and brother on local still waters and watching the cormorants standing in lines with their wings spread as they dried them off.
    On the dairy farm that I grew up on there were always loads of seagulls on the fields, especially when there was any shyte spreading, grubbing or ploughing going on.
    No matter what anglers spout about them not being inland birds and how they've suddenly invaded, I know that they've been there for my lifetime...and i'm not exactly a youngster!
    I think their presence has become more frowned upon/noticed because of the many commercial type fisheries that have sprung up and obviously the owners don't like to see their fish being eaten.

One species of bird used to be everywhere back when I was living on tye farm and is now a rarity...the lapwing.
    They used to really annoy me when I was out shooting as they were a alarm system for the other wildlife.
    We used to have lots of coveys of grey partridge on the fields and I could alway pop over the fields and get one or two to eat but now they have gone!
    Last edited by tigger; 09-02-2020 at 09:36.

We have laid out the table for all fish eating predators with our overstocked fisheries so why are we surprised when they come to call.

Flocks of hundreds of lapwings on Martin Mere this week. They know where the easy pickings are.

Blog Entries

Ey by gum, I had Partridge last night for my tea Ian. Sadly it was the introduced Red Legged verity but lovely never the less. The lapwings near (100+) me (urban Area a mile and a half from the city centre) roost on Farm Foods building Roof. Is there an Irony there?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast