cormorants destroying fish stocks natural waters

Reaction score
I had a flock around fifty fly over several times last week while fishing my deep club lake,i also know that at Eaton Bray fishery there are quite a few,they nest there too,i love locating the nest,never disturb them mind,just enjoy the challenge...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ey by gum, I had Partridge last night for my tea Ian. Sadly it was the introduced Red Legged verity but lovely never the less. The lapwings near (100+) me (urban Area a mile and a half from the city centre) roost on Farm Foods building Roof. Is there an Irony there?

I used to rear frenchies for shooting when I was a keeper, they were a novelty to me back then, they p!ss me off now! Lappies are in groups at this time of year, you spread then out across the country as they are during breeding season and they arm’ t so thick on the ground.

The bad one

Reaction score
Indeed so in most case Ian they are flocked up at this time of year. But the flock on Farm Foods roof are there all year round. Depleted in numbers yes in the spring/summer months, but a good flock all the same
My mate the sparrowhawk tells me, as he makes a half hearted pass over them and puts them on the wing.

Like Alan when I was a kid in the village, we'd go lapwing nest hunts for the challenge of just finding them.

When we moved and I became a townie, behind where we lived was one of Lowry's abandoned dark satanic mills. We'd see lapwings flying about over the roof and reasoned they must be nesting on it.
Being expert tree climbers and adventurists,, climbing the fire escape and in mill, then onto the roof 150 ft up was not going to be any great shakes and proved not to be. We were amazed at how many lapwing nests there were up there. I can't remember the precise number now, but it was in the 10s. We also found a few Ringed Plover nests as well.

I'm firmly of the belief that the lapwings I see now on Farm Foods roof are historic descendants of the Mill lapwings. The mill being only maybe 300 yards away from the current roosting site before it was demolished for a Morrison Super Market about 10 years ago.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Indeed so in most case Ian they are flocked up at this time of year. But the flock on Farm Foods roof are there all year round. Depleted in numbers yes in the spring/summer months, but a good flock all the same
My mate the sparrowhawk tells me, as he makes a half hearted pass over them and puts them on the wing.

Like Alan when I was a kid in the village, we'd go lapwing nest hunts for the challenge of just finding them.

When we moved and I became a townie, behind where we lived was one of Lowry's abandoned dark satanic mills. We'd see lapwings flying about over the roof and reasoned they must be nesting on it.
Being expert tree climbers and adventurists,, climbing the fire escape and in mill, then onto the roof 150 ft up was not going to be any great shakes and proved not to be. We were amazed at how many lapwing nests there were up there. I can't remember the precise number now, but it was in the 10s. We also found a few Ringed Plover nests as well.

I'm firmly of the belief that the lapwings I see now on Farm Foods roof are historic descendants of the Mill lapwings. The mill being only maybe 300 yards away from the current roosting site before it was demolished for a Morrison Super Market about 10 years ago.

Really interesting stuff Phil, and I reckon it's odds on that your right about the morrisons lappies being decendents of the mill lappies.

I used to go lappie nesting also, but that was in the fields, usually little dinges in the sewn fields. We used to catch the chicks at all stages as they grew and have a look at 'em. After they'd nested they were classed as ferret food and often blasted with the shotgun :eek:mg:.

rayner

Reaction score
“Terrorist creatures” :eek:mg: they’re only doing what nature designed them to do, the fact that we don’t like it and it’s getting out of hand doesn’t make them card-carrying members of Al Quaeda!

My terrorist creature remark was not meant to be a serious statement, it was metaphoric. Much like a quip.
If you don't think they are a real menace I can live with that, they are to me. I'll reiterate they need culling.

Reaction score
How many,two,they only allow you to kill a small number and I think cormorants can count...

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve heard of a chap on a trout fishery that uses an old goose gun to shoot cormorants, it’s a 4 bore that throws 4 ounce of bbs it’s well up to the job I believe.

Reaction score
I’ve heard of a chap on a trout fishery that uses an old goose gun to shoot cormorants, it’s a 4 bore that throws 4 ounce of bbs it’s well up to the job I believe.

I should certaily hope so mate...

sis the roach

Reaction score
last season I fished the Beeston canal extensively and the roach fishing was as it was some twenty years ago I recall some time a go be fore that was about to start and a long standing friend I have made from the past twenty years has had a narrow boat on there with his wife they have done a bit of fishing he said to me your not going to fish there he said you won't get a bite I did I got one in four hours fishing he told me every morning just as it is getting light there is 3 or 4 cormorants in the locks so I stopedfishing it for some ten years or more till last season he told me last season he had not seen cormorants for years then this I went to fish it for the first time I am tackling up and a cormorant came out in front of me I fished and caught some roach but I could tell some thing was not the same I went again some weeks later same thing a cormorant came out in front again the fishing as not be the same they should not be there like the other in land ponds I am not saying they are the total cause of the decline of the fishing but seriously they have been the Maine cause I have fished long enough to know that and at the highest level ithe cormorant problem and true me it is a problem make no mistake about it has slowly got worse because it has gone un checked it no good listing to these bird people sorry the times I have been fishing and the times I have pointed out to them there a kingfisher over there look and they say to me were its right in front of you ant the colours bright enough this only one time i pointed things out sorry some were a lot the line not just in fishing we had become daft we are all paying our rod licences I don't what to fish a unnatural pond I can if I want like every one else can just go and pay when I first started fishing at the age of five I lived in the old st anns Nottingham I used to to the Trent embankment with a few maggots and caught a gudgeon very cast from start to Finnish I not saying I what to do the same but it would be just to caught a few